Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

strange engine noise!!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: strange engine noise!! Reply with quote

Hi there,
Well.... yesterday I was driving my 1970 camper to work and when I got off the freeway, I noticed a pretty loud engine noise.

The noise changes with RPM. It sounds like a low pitch swooshing sound that changes with engine speed. A similar sound like the one a turbo charger would make!

I noticed that the noise is much louder when I have the heater on. I figure that the sound is vibrating forward. Could it be something with the fan?

The bus seems to run fine but the noise is pretty annoying....

Any ideas? thanks!
DRS1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: strange engine noise!! Reply with quote

could be your tranny, they tend to make sort of a howling sound when theyre not happy, might want to check the fluid level.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: strange engine noise!! Reply with quote

It could be that your fan has cracked on the hub and is unblanced, or you have sucked something into your fan (rag, paper towel, ?)causeing an imbalance (and resticked air flow) Easiest way to check is to take off the belt and fire it up, if noise is gone then its the fan. (Never drive with the belt off)
Dale
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: strange engine noise!! Reply with quote

Make sure and check your fan! I had a 69 912 that made noise kinda like what you are saying, it was an unbalanced fan that had a BOLT jammed between the fins. If it had of broke apart, BIG MONEY, BIG DAMAGE if oil cooling tower is perferated.
go do it right now.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: strange engine noise!! Reply with quote

thank's for the reply's..

So is there a way to remove something from the fan without taking out the engine??

another question.... not to sound too stupid but, "do I have tranny fluid?", it's a four speed. Or is this just refering to the fluid in the rear diff.?

thanks
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: strange engine noise!! Reply with quote

Your vw does not really have a rear diff, because it is a transaxle. you do have gear fluid for your transmission. look up the info in your bently manual, this will tell you where your fill is for the transmission.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: