Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

flywheel puller
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greezy Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, really trying to follow the need for a flywheel puller for a VW engine. Been using 2 Snap-on prybars for 40 years, even with 8 dowel cranks, no problem. Gently wiggle and then apply some steady easy pressure and they are off. Nothing has ever been damaged. Each to his own but sounds like a Mountian is being made out of a Mole Hill. Laughing Laughing
12 Jeep Wrangler
73 Harley FLH 93 cid
89 Harley 883 Sportster (1200)

Owned before: 58, 69 Ghia Coupes, 64 Canvas Sunroof, 68, 72, 73, & 74 Bugs, 63 Single Cab, 65 Bus, 66 & 70 Camper
" Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it'll muffle the sound".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greezy Joe wrote:
Wow, really trying to follow the need for a flywheel puller for a VW engine. Been using 2 Snap-on prybars for 40 years, even with 8 dowel cranks, no problem. Gently wiggle and then apply some steady easy pressure and they are off. Nothing has ever been damaged. Each to his own but sounds like a Mountian is being made out of a Mole Hill. Laughing Laughing

I just paid good money to have my crank and flywheel drilled for 11/32" oversize dowel pins. While it's possible I may not round out the holes trying to pry the thing off, I'm trying to avoid any damage whatsoever as I don't trust myself... Laughing

I'm in a situation where I can't afford to have to do things twice, as where I live there's absolutely no one that knows how to work on performance VW engines.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greezy Joe
Have you ever tried to remove a "Wedge Mated" flywheel? with out a puller its a bitch. I have never tried the hammer trick but I might next time I have to pull a FW.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Greezy Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
Greezy Joe
Have you ever tried to remove a "Wedge Mated" flywheel? with out a puller its a bitch. I have never tried the hammer trick but I might next time I have to pull a FW.

Casey

Nope, never even seen one other than in a picture. I thought about adding that to the post to say "If it is Wedgemated, all bets are off" Laughing
12 Jeep Wrangler
73 Harley FLH 93 cid
89 Harley 883 Sportster (1200)

Owned before: 58, 69 Ghia Coupes, 64 Canvas Sunroof, 68, 72, 73, & 74 Bugs, 63 Single Cab, 65 Bus, 66 & 70 Camper
" Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it'll muffle the sound".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
damicotile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never posted a pic of the puller I finally made.
I made it from some scrap steel I had lying around.
So here it is. Quite simple to make.
I aim to trim away some of the steel to make it more user friendly.
It's 3/4" thick. I used a bolt from a gear puller for the center.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Silicon bronze sleeves
Scat 1.25:1
CB H-Beams
Straight cuts
42x37 Steve Tims
44 IDF's
9.2:1
A-1 Sidewinder coated

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap! At 3/4" thick, the weight of the plate itself should have pulled the flywheel off! Shocked Seriously though, trim it down to match the flywheel and you have yourself a tool that will last a lifetime and then some. I just got a piece of 2" x 1/2" bar stock I'll be using to make a puller this morning.
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't drop that beast on your foot!

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A buddy of mine gave me a tip that proved valuable in getting the flywheel off, at least for a non-wedgemated flywheel. Insert a large screwdriver behind the flywheel and wedge it against the webbing of the case. While prying with steady pressure, rap on the outer rim of the flywheel with a hammer. The ringing vibration will work it loose. Worked like a charm for me, and didn't mess up my dowel pin holes.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok....here is the double secret RC Wedgemate flywheel removal technique. Shhh Don't tell anyone about this.........

Use the sensor hole that is in some blocks and insert a 1/2" steel rod to contact the FW and whap it with the hammer once then turn the FW 180* and whap again, done. On new blocks we drill the sensor hole. This works for regular FW's also...just dont go crazy. Wedge a screw driver or prybar in opposite where the hole is and tap the rod thru the hole. Your FW will walk right off. Be sure to leave the gland nut in there a thread or two so the FW doesn't take a dive.

RC

I will be happy to speak to anyone who has a serious inquiry (meaning real potential business for RC enterprises) or a parts order. Due to machining noise causing missed calls all calls will be returned promptly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: