Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tachometer on a 1986 Syncro
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Tachometer on a 1986 Syncro Reply with quote

I guy down the street has the an instrument cluster from a 1991, and I am wondering how difficult it would be to use it on my 1986, which has the big silly clock. I mean, I assume a couple of hours to actually replace the cluster, but what about the tach? Does my van have the parts to support the Tach, did some 1986 models have RPMs available, maybe connecting a simple line? Yes, I am a total noob...but not for long!

I should ad that this question exists in at least one other area, but still unanswered.

Thanks, John

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 86 Syncro, it did come with a Tachometer, not a clock.

I dont know what you will encounter when you try the swap, but changing out the instrument cluster is very easy, try it. I think it will work fine. (as long as you are installing a Syncro Cluster, into a Syncro, the 2wd tach is not the same)

fwiw, I also installed a replacement instrument cluster from a 91 (because my canadian syncro had a kilometers per hour speedo, and I wanted a miles per hour speedo for the USA).

The cluster works fine, but, the tachometer was off by 800rpm. I adjusted it, there is a tiny hole that accepts an eyeglass screwdriver..

to know what your tach should be turning, depends on what tires you are running.

If you post your tire brand, model, and size, I will give you the correlated RPM you should be seeing at a given speed and gear.

good luck with the swap
Jon
ThorAlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a tach in my 86 syncro, its plug&play. There is a green wire form the coil alredy connected to the plug under the instrumet cluster, so all you need to do is change the instrument.

Ex-vans:
1990 Caravelle coach 1.6TD
1986 Transporter Double cab syncro 2.1 112hp

"I'm wrong so often... It's great!" - Adam Savage
isyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I have an 86 syncro and am contemplating replacing the clock with a tach. Is it really just plug and play or do I need new foil, etc.? Do I need to make sure the tach is a certain year?

I am running a GW 2.3

Thanks for any help! Adam
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its plug and play, my 87 syncro had the clock. takes about 30 minutes or less. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drew34k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
(as long as you are installing a Syncro Cluster, into a Syncro, the 2wd tach is not the same)

Is the 2wd tach adjustable for a Syncro or is it a completely different and just basically incompatible?
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a tach from a 1986 into my 1990 which had a clock. Very, very easy. The syncro has a speedometer which is unique to the syncro models. Take it out of your current cluster and swap it into the tach one. I'd be surprised if this ends up being difficult.

-Rob
Badstep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im running a syncro tach in my 2wd drive with no problems at all and all checks out while running a timing test to check the tach's accuracy im running an 86 cluster in a 84 beware they are not plug and play for that year
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to clarify if I can swap just the tach from a 2wd cluster (I think 1985 model) into my 1986 Syncro's cluster (currently a clock).
The tach clusters 14 pin connecter has all the wires except #4 and #12 which makes me think it might be an '85 model since that's the oil pressure warning system. It looks just like the later model speedo and tach though. My Syncro has #12 wire present on the pigtail and existing cluster plug.
Or is it better to swap the Syncro specific speedo in to the 2wd cluster since it's possibly an '85? Will this work without any issues? I know the '85's are supposed to be different but this one looks identical except for missing the #12 wire?
I want a tach. Sad

Last edited by Herr Motorspiele on Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the foils differ on 2wd clock vs. tach clusters - not sure synchro

swap the whole cluster
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another idea,
The '85? cluster is in much worse shape than my Syncro's from sitting out in the junkyard: broken mounting tabs, sunbaked plastic, etc. so has anyone swapped the tach, and all associated blue foil circuitry to another cluster housing? I'd rather salvage my current cluster housing to keep the nicer one but that means removing both foils and a little more delicate work.
Thoughts?
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:

I dont know what you will encounter when you try the swap, but changing out the instrument cluster is very easy, try it. I think it will work fine. (as long as you are installing a Syncro Cluster, into a Syncro, the 2wd tach is not the same)

fwiw, I also installed a replacement instrument cluster from a 91 (because my canadian syncro had a kilometers per hour speedo, and I wanted a miles per hour speedo for the USA).

The cluster works fine, but, the tachometer was off by 800rpm. I adjusted it, there is a tiny hole that accepts an eyeglass screwdriver..

to know what your tach should be turning, depends on what tires you are running.

If you post your tire brand, model, and size, I will give you the correlated RPM you should be seeing at a given speed and gear.

good luck with the swap
Jon

Now you have me really worried and guessing d'oh! d'oh!
Question to know what your tach should be turning, depends on what tires you are running. Question Question

You must have a real special tachometer to count the tire revolutions per minute, Mine only counts engine rotations no matter what kind of tires are on the van, even if no wheels/tires are on the van. I feel so deprived now Embarassed Embarassed

and to think that I have been driving over 45 years without this vital instrumentation, how many times my tires turn in a minute.

Booo Hooo snifff snifff Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Idea Idea
Well now, hold your tachometer(s) pilgrim, you would need four of those wonder tachometers no ? One per wheel just to make sure, specially if you are running different size tires front and back , left and right or why not all four different sizes Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I wonder how the 18 wheeler drivers would love so much having 18 tachometers Laughing Laughing Laughing
Smile, Smile , it's all in good spirit, I just could not resist Twisted Evil
30 minutes listening to the Brandenburgers brings it all back in perspective Boo hoo! Dancing

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VisPacem wrote:
Jon_slider wrote:

good luck with the swap
Jon

Now you have me really worried and guessing d'oh! d'oh!
Question to know what your tach should be turning, depends on what tires you are running. Question Question

You must have a real special tachometer to count the tire revolutions per minute, Mine only counts engine rotations no matter what kind of tires are on the van, even if no wheels/tires are on the van. I feel so deprived now Embarassed Embarassed

and to think that I have been driving over 45 years without this vital instrumentation, how many times my tires turn in a minute.

Booo Hooo snifff snifff Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Idea Idea
Well now, hold your tachometer(s) pilgrim, you would need four of those wonder tachometers no ? One per wheel just to make sure, specially if you are running different size tires front and back , left and right or why not all four different sizes Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I wonder how the 18 wheeler drivers would love so much having 18 tachometers Laughing Laughing Laughing
Smile, Smile , it's all in good spirit, I just could not resist Twisted Evil
30 minutes listening to the Brandenburgers brings it all back in perspective Boo hoo! Dancing

The instruments will swap over, just use your Syncro speedo in the 2WD cluster.

With regard to the rev counter accuracy and tyre size, I'm fairly sure that Jon was referring to comparing the rev counter to the speedo to use as a calibration tool.

The rev counter can be adjusted with a small screwdriver through a small hole in the back of the rev counter which is covered with a small white sticker.

If you do think your rev counter is out, I'd prefer to use a timing gun with tacho function to set it as they're usually much more accurate than rev counters. However I have used the technique mentioned above when adjusting rev counters on diesel engines and this is where I will use my gear calculator on the pc to work out what rpm my engine should be turning at at a particular speed. This is where you'll need to know your final drive ratio, gear ratio, tyre size etc.

I would say that using your sat nav will be more accurate than the VW speedo for this.

The rev counters are not that accurate throughout the rev range and you may find that at tickover, it's correct but at 2,000rpm it's out and then again at 4,000rpm it's even more out... the best thing I can suggest it picking a point at which you use the revs most of the time (say 2,500rpm) and set it correctly at that rpm and accept that it'll be a little out elsewhere.

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I read this again, and I still don't understand if the swap will work. Last night I pulled a tach from a 1985 2wd with the hopes I can swap it into my 86 Syncro. I thought this would be a clean job? I will start tonight, but I would love it if someone could set me straight on whether or not the swap will work! Peace

andy syncro-nutz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get The 2wd clocks and fit your syncro speedometer to the 2wd clocks then fit the whole 2wd clocks with your syncro speedo unit into your syncro.
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy syncro-nutz wrote:
Get The 2wd clocks and fit your syncro speedometer to the 2wd clocks then fit the whole 2wd clocks with your syncro speedo unit into your syncro.

Please tell me that you are joking? I have no idea what you just said (above).

Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pic of my new tach...looks like the lights match up, but I haven't pulled the other one yet. I noticed that some tacks only have the red danger area, and not the green. ANy rhyme or reason to that? Perhaps this is a late model tack stuck in an '85?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

andy syncro-nutz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never seen any of them without the green area,

So, you have there in your hand a ribbon and tach for a petrol/gas van, Now fit it to your syncro,

Romove your orginal speedo/clocks,
Remove ribbon and clock/time piece,
Attach tach ribbon and tach to your original speedometer,
Re install into your syncro,

Job done! Very Happy
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go:

Prhaps this is a diesel?

Thanks for the pep-talk! Will photo and respond with the quickness

Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I thought I would share my experience from last night from my personal perspective, so you can try to spot the errors, and avoid them yourself.

This all started with me looking for a tach because my clock is lame. yes, it would be nice to have the diji clock and tach combo, but I will take what I can get. So, a local guy says he is parting out a 1986, and says it has a tach. I go over there and he already has the tach and circuit board/film removed for me, as well as the other parts I want. I notice his car is actually an '85, but the cluster face looks exactly like mine (mainly noting the switches are in the same places, and the dummy lights are also the same!).

So, and noted earlier, someone just said "Dude, plug and play!" - and I was wondering why he made it sound so simple?

Have you already caught the issue? I'll keep going...

So I reach around to the back of the gauge shroud and find the indentions, lift, wiggle, and it's not really going anywhere, so I try to pop off the face.
So I gently undo the clips, and only have one broken!

Jeebus my dash is scuzzy

So, then I get that thing off no prob, and notice there are some screw. back there holding the gauges to the dash, so I unscrew them.

Mind you, I've got the Bentley open beside me, and I have either found the wrong page, or it just isn't a lot of help.

So The dash won't really budge still after having removed the screws. This is a great place to get in trouble, tugging on wires - just don't do it. So I see that I should probably pop out the switches on both sides.

Unplug circuit Strip:

Now I just pop off the last thing connecting the cluster to the dash, the speedo cable, and presto!

So, there she is, all removed and chillin'

Have you spotted any of the approaching issues yet?

So I am just thinking that I will replace that silly old clock with the tach by separating it from the circuit. After I have mostly removed the clock from that circuit tape, I realize one of the contacts is different than the same on the circuit that came with the tack. You see, with a quick glance, my assumption was that they used the same circuit, and the gauges just utilized different contacts. I am actually still totally surprised this is not the case. Sure enough, they were different.
Clock

Tach

OK, so I put the clock back on the old circuit, and begin removing the old circuit from the plastic gauge housing. I accidentally get a peak at the area between the clock and the glass (have you already solved this one?)"

BWAHAHAHAHAHA - Now, if I think my revs are too high, I can adjust them using the old clock set instrument! Holy shitballs I had to go open a can of beer and think about my life at this point. SOooooooo dumb.

So, back to that plug and play comment? I am going back to get the rest of the cluster from the seller for another $20. This is good because the PO had totally dicked up my plastic surrounds AND my odometer is toasted as well. Anyway, plug and play means you disconnect everything, pull the old cluster out, and put the new one in, in its entirety.

Now, theoretically, it looks like you could pop the clear plastic out in front of the clock, and replace with the tach clear plastic, but, why? Just replace the whole damn thing.

So, the cluster he has, I am hoping I can just plug it in and go (once I rebuild everything!!!). Pretty sure 85 and up are the same in this regard.

Not much else to add other than whether or not it works. Will let you know. The next step is to see if I can cut the hole out for the clack and install one. I saw a few for sale here for $45. Next time, I will just by the entire new cluster for $150 or whater it costs. I will be in $70 w/o clock.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: