Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BOSS 600 subwoofer install Q's
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: BOSS 600 subwoofer install Q's Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I just got a Boss 600 powered sub. The instructions say to use 8 gauge wire for the power and install a fuse with in 18" of the battery. Thing is it doesn't say what size or kind of fuse. Any recommendations?

The plan is to install it under the drivers seat, but I have no aux battery as of yet. Whats the best way of getting the wire to the battery with out being seen?

Where is the best place to ground the sub under the drivers seat?

Anyone with this sub have any pics of your install?

Many thanks for any help.

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wasserbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: BOSS 600 subwoofer install Q's Reply with quote

Rhinoculips wrote:
Thing is it doesn't say what size or kind of fuse. Any recommendations?

On the last page of the manual, it has a fuse rating spec of 15A. I'd start there.

Ground - any bare metal spot. Might have to sand some paint away, so pick a spot that won't get exposed to water. If you can find an existing bolt, that's always nice.
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: BOSS 600 subwoofer install Q's Reply with quote

wasserbox wrote:
Rhinoculips wrote:
Thing is it doesn't say what size or kind of fuse. Any recommendations?

On the last page of the manual, it has a fuse rating spec of 15A. I'd start there.

Ground - any bare metal spot. Might have to sand some paint away, so pick a spot that won't get exposed to water. If you can find an existing bolt, that's always nice.

I noticed that, but isn't that for the built in "overload" fuse that is located on the side of the subwoofer and not the one that is inline to the battery?

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wasserbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: BOSS 600 subwoofer install Q's Reply with quote

Rhinoculips wrote:

I noticed that, but isn't that for the built in "overload" fuse that is located on the side of the subwoofer and not the one that is inline to the battery?

Using the Google, looks like there are 2 ways to guesstimate.

TTL power of onboard fuses minus 10, plus 10, or total power watts / volts.

So you can either run 20, 40 or 50 watt inline fuse... depending on who you trust.

Fuses are cheap, so I'd personally start with 15 and go up until it doesn't blow that fuse, and go back down when the onboard fuses start blowing.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a new ground post right behind the drivers seat. There is an existing hole in the body already and you just need to grind some paint away on the inside. It worked well for my auxilliary wiring on that side of the van. Also use some dielectric grease when you assemble it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the unit have two 15 amp fuses on the side? It seems one is a spare though. 15 amps is not enough to handle 600 watts of power like they say the unit is rated for. 600 watts is about a 40 amp load at 14 volts. I would start with a 30 amp in line fuse and see what happens. A #8 wire can handle 80 amps pretty easy. All you're trying to do is protect the wire with the inline fuse, not the unit. The fuses on the unit will protect the unit.

I love this quote from the owners manual:

"The fuse is rated at 15 amps. Do not use a fuse with a different value and NEVER replace the fuse with a wire or coin"

That's classic.

http://www.bossaudio.com/support/index.php?_m=down...p;nav=0,15
sc-surfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inline fuse isn't to protect the sub, but to protect the HEAVY gauge positive wire supplying power. It that wire were to short out before the sub, baaaad things could happen as it is fed directly off the battery. Any large gauge inline fuse holder will be ok. You should be able to find one at radio shack or such. Usually sold with the rest of the car audio install stuff.

As for ground, anywhere on the chassis will work.

If you want to hide the power line coming from your battery, consider drilling down through the battery box floor, install a big fat rubber grommet of strain relief clamp, run the line to the other battery box through the 'frame' members, and back up through the floor. If you use heavy jacketed wire, and grommets everywhere it passes through the body and fuse it properly you should be fine.

No pics of my install, but I can say I like the end result!
* * * Coming Soon: Washable seat covers for westy bench seat...keep the pets off the upholstery! * * *
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sc-surfer wrote:
.....Any large gauge inline fuse holder will be ok....

What should the amp rating be for the fuse?

Click to view image
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any amp rating of 80 or lower will be fine if you use a #8 wire. I would install a 30 or 40 amp fuse if it were my install. Like said earlier, it's just to protect the wire. You just don't want a fuse rated for higher than the wire. You want the fuse to blow before the wire melts.

I think a #10 wire rated for 60 amps would work for that sub too. A #8 wire is pretty beefy.

Where the chart levels out on the left side is the maximum current and maximum fuse size for the wire used. You can go with smaller fuses but not bigger.

Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys think about using a type 1 or type 2 automotive circuit breaker that will reset itself when you disconnect it from the battery?

http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/p190.html

Click to view image
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't overthink this. A standard auto style in-line fuse is all you need.
shepherdsond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - the BOSS 600 is on sale on Amazon with an additional 20% off till Sept 4th and free shipping, my total cost was $71.99.

The BOSS sale items can be seen at this URL:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pe_69560_16663720_fe_e...PDKIKX0DER

If you use the following discount code at checkout you get an additional 20% (till Sept 4th):

JXOVAAOO
Memphalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please let me know how it sounds once it is installed. I have been considering one, but have not heard one.
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memphalia wrote:
Please let me know how it sounds once it is installed. I have been considering one, but have not heard one.

I haven't gotten around to installing it under the seat. At the moment, it is sitting between the front seats. The sound has been phenomenal! Now keep in mind, it wont rattle the neighborhoods windows and not really noticeable outside of the van. Which is exactly what I wanted. Music is considerably richer now. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS SUB-WOOFER.

Click to view image
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: