Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rats/mice in the air vents! eeeeek!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
archicarp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After catching that mouse, I set a bunch more traps to make certain that I had gotten them all. After about 3-4 days with no signs of activity, I decided that I had caught the only culprit.

I was cleaning up the van and opened the glove box to put something in. This is what I found.

?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The first thing I noticed was the molted snake skin under the phone charger cord. Yikes. Then I took a look at the red bandana and realized that is where the mouse had taken up residence. I cleaned it all out, but I am left with a bunch of questions:

Where did the snake come from?
Is it still in the van?
How do I get a snake out of the van or confirm that it isn't in there?

I have never seen a snake in Seattle so I'm guessing that it got in while we were camping and was hunting the mouse.

Anybody have experience with a snake in the van?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snake skin? I bet someone is playing a joke on you.

I bought a "Pro-Ketch mousetrap at Harbor freight, (less than $15) and it worked great. One morning I had 2 mice in it. I used peanut butter for bait.

Its a humane trap, so then of course you have to think of something humane to do with this live mouse.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My preference is to prevent them from coming into my van in the first place. I'll try blocking the vents, and the peppermint sounds interesting, but to rely on that I'd need to see more proof.

There's the vent up front, and the battery box vents. Any other holes to plug? I have heard there are other holes. I'll start a new thread, with a new searchable title, hope this helps everyone.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4839691#4839691

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
wasserbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

Its a humane trap, so then of course you have to think of something humane to do with this live mouse.

You could always take it to the humane society.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wasserbox wrote:
Sodo wrote:

You could always take it to the humane society.

A good excuse "for a ride in the country".

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Swellchaser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing like waking up and watching the little guy run around while you shine a red light on it... then the next day as you and your buds are driving back from your surf sesh, the mouse runs out by your feet and hangs out while you drive.

We pulled over and found him hiding under the seat, and eventually scared him out of the van. Then there were signs of another mouse the next night. So annoying!

Time for some traps and peppermint.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you all know what I say about peppermint chasing mice out or keeping them out, perhaps it works for other rodents and reptiles. Today *I was reading that essence of peppermint oil and essence of lavender are excellent stress reducer, relaxants for human either straight or mixed. So now both you and your vans can benefit!!! Its all a Applause for all. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: