Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Good ‘ol “Why won’t it start?” problem.
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Good ‘ol “Why won’t it start?” problem. Reply with quote

History: About mid-July, I drove my car to my new house, parked it, unhooked the battery, and went on vacation. Fast forward to yesterday, and it won’t start. It will crank, but make no attempt to cough or light off. I have fuel; the pressure gauge gives me 3lbs. during cranking. The car was locked in the garage; I don’t believe there was sabotage.

Which brings me to ignition. I have the AC.N SVDA with Computronix. The motor otherwise has no electronic tricks (FI, EFI, crankfire, none of that). Could the module have died just sitting there? Or maybe when I hooked the battery back up? With the ignition on, I can set the motor at TDC and turn the distributor as if I’m setting static timing and hear it click, like it does with points. I can repeat the test with the timing light hooked up, but I get no flash when the module clicks. I do have points for this and I will be putting them back in to see what happens.

Look, I know what it takes to get combustion, and this is a beginner question. But I can’t think of how a car cranks but fails to start after sitting for a month. Is it the module? Will they still click but not fire if they go bad?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm.... Fuel pressure on gauge does not mean there is any fuel going down carb throat....

A lot of people don't like it, but give at a shot of starting fluid ( even some spray can carb cleaner will work) .... If it "pops" you are not getting fuel through carb....

If you are getting "clicks" (spark jumping in dist cap) from electronic module it usually means its good .... Modules are either good or bad, usually no in between.....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. I'll give it a shot. Wouldn't some gas down the throats do the same thing?
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gas nowdays is so crappy with the ethanol now, I wouldnt be surprised if your jets/pump jets are all gunked up. I didnt drive my bug for a 2 weeks last month due to crappy weather and i had to blow all my jets out and clear my pump jets. After that smooth running as normal. This is why I will never go with pertronix style points replacement. At least with points you can file it down reset gap and be on your way in most cases or see the spark jump visually across the points. And like with anything else, my tool bag holds an extra set of points, rotor, condensor and cap. Less than half of the replacement cost of a module.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either get some help starting the car, or rig up a remote starter, and do this.

While trying to start the car, put the palm of your hand over the throat of the carb (with the air cleaner removed of course). This forces LOTS of fuel into the motor. If it doesn't start then, its either an ignition issue, or you're out of gas Wink

I use this alot on hard to start motors or motors that have been sitting for a while and the float bowl is dry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I should also add that the pumps do seem to be working. They all squirt with application of the throttle.
Gariack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sons bug (2110 w/dual 44s) wont start if it's been sitting for 2 weeks or more. The battery goes flat enough that the motor will crank but not fire the Pertronics Ignitor II. It will push start, or jump start right up. If we take it weekly to the club meeting it starts right up.
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gariack wrote:
My sons bug (2110 w/dual 44s) wont start if it's been sitting for 2 weeks or more. The battery goes flat enough that the motor will crank but not fire the Pertronics Ignitor II. It will push start, or jump start right up. If we take it weekly to the club meeting it starts right up.

Does he have an alternator? Every alternator has a slight amp draw at rest and can drain a battery. Some are worse than others. If that's the case then disconnect the alternator or put a battery switch in. Easy to test if you have a meter. Just check DC current by putting the meter in series with the alt B+ wire and check on the milliamp scale.

RC

I will be happy to speak to anyone who has a serious inquiry (meaning real potential business for RC enterprises) or a parts order. Due to machining noise causing missed calls all calls will be returned promptly.
Gariack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I should see were the current is going. I just assumed it was the stereo he put in with the hot wire for memory. It had the same alternator when it was my car, but I never let it sit that long with out driving it. It also had points then. He broke the polished axel in his built tranny at Barona Speedway. There is a stock tranny in there now while he saves up for some racing axles. It's hard to baby it, so he dosn't drive it that often. He smoked the tires across an intersection last time we were coming back from the VW club meeting and surprised us both.
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gariack wrote:
Guess I should see were the current is going. I just assumed it was the stereo he put in with the hot wire for memory. It had the same alternator when it was my car, but I never let it sit that long with out driving it. It also had points then. He broke the polished axel in his built tranny at Barona Speedway. There is a stock tranny in there now while he saves up for some racing axles. It's hard to baby it, so he dosn't drive it that often. He smoked the tires across an intersection last time we were coming back from the VW club meeting and surprised us both.
The radio memory will take about 6 months or so to drain the battery. (careful of my figure quoted as that is not a hard fact and just a wild ass guess based on experience.....don't want to upset one of our readers)

I will be happy to speak to anyone who has a serious inquiry (meaning real potential business for RC enterprises) or a parts order. Due to machining noise causing missed calls all calls will be returned promptly.
drmiller100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Good ‘ol “Why won’t it start?” problem. Reply with quote

Sigurd wrote:
History: About mid-July, I drove my car to my new house, parked it, unhooked the battery, and went on vacation. Fast forward to yesterday, and it won’t start. It will crank, but make

i like the ether idea.

then i will take an old sparkplug, set it on the engine with a plug wire hooked to it, and have someone crank it over.
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I put the Computronix back in and got my dad over there to turn the key and I verified spark. A little gas down the barrels and it coughed to life. Go figure. It had plenty of fuel and pressure; could something have plugged, dried up or gelled just by sitting there?
Augiedoggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

todays gas really does reek havoc on carbs if they sit....I have a bike with a plugged up carb from sitting for three months without running...Sad and have had to clean my dells in the car once this summer already due to a fouled up jet. sometimes you can just choke it with your hand and that will be enough to free up scale or debris from jets or passages but it will likely plug up again soon unless properly cleaned out.
1966 Bahama Blue Bug

1964 yellow bug (girlfriends ride)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: