Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Conversion Owners
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: TDI ALH transplant into an '84 Vanagon Reply with quote

You can follow my VW TDI ALH diesel conversion in an '84 non-Westy at this link.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=276798

Lots of photos, details, etc., and there are other Vanagon/Westy/Microbus conversions in progress there!

Here is a view of the TDI engine from the fly-wheel end. Notice the Vanagon Diesel bell housing is installed (marking the TDC point on the flywheel for future reference when doing TB change). This engine has 129k documented miles on it. The tranny come out of a 1982 Air Cooled Engine Vanagon... I got it for $95.00 and added about $1,000.00 in a rebuild/update. The bell housing from a diesel tranny come in another deal, about $50.00.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by AndyBees on Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

90gl/90 legacy 2.2/kep w/small car vss
160000/engine-po replaced cambelt.
logged 4000 mi so far. throttle body needs cleaning, otherwise
flawless op. 19-20 mpg, fast or slow, oe 4/86 r/p 135 hp
cost almost 6k, including vc venters up front, tank reseal, kyb shocks,
shifter rebuild, 15" mbz alloys and tires. conversion cost an honest
3500. donor cost 600 running with snowdrift scuffing. trans blown/donor.
[diff]
done by me except wire harnass prep--tom shiels mod and test. [700.00]
shiels version 5 cooling system
sold 2.1 for 600.00. when I coast down hills, it's a hybrid./soapbox
IN A HEARTBEAT...
dylan kicks ass

Last edited by thummmper on Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I understand. I'm using a spread sheet and I add comments where indicated ie. broke down engine hr, trip log, apparent problem. Its pretty messy looking as I do it but when i take time to transfer it gives me information and pertinent history. I do do mileage/fuel consumption and record all my gauges as I think changes in all this could indicate and/or prevent a potential problem.

Sorry didn't mean to high jack. If I put my info in this thread it will be incomplete as many of you know. My engine hrs tell a story, not so much distance altho short distances have been part of it and highway driving vs city driving is major differences.

I don't really feel that I should be in thread as the story is not written yet. Hopefully someday I can add it with a Very Happy . I think it is an EXCELLENT thread and altho I don't know all your engines I look to what is valid to me.

hijack over Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: you Know.......... Reply with quote

My opinion is biased but based on real world expierence. Drive every option then make a wise decision!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
80qtdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Conversion Owners Reply with quote

Engine Type: TDI AHU

How many miles on donor engine and what year of make and model: 65-70,000, 1998 Jetta TDI

How many miles have you logged since conversion: 7000 miles since completing it in June.

Gas mileage: Low 29, high 38, average 32

Cost: $4500, could have done it cheaper with stock parts, also includes trans rebuild.

Did you do this yourself or did you have a shop do it, if so what shop: Did it myself

What types of issues have you run into: None

Re-did the DK's gears at the same time, cuises at 65mph turning 2600 rpms (can go much faster, but 65 is comfortable Smile.

Jon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Conversion Owners Reply with quote

Engine Type: VW 1.8T - APR chipped among other go-fast goodies

How many miles on donor engine and what year of make and model: Approximately 30K on the donor - 2001.5 New Beetle - AWV

How many miles have you logged since conversion: 50K

Gas mileage: 17 - 24 depending on load, terrain, and turbo usage

Cost: $9500 for engine, fabrication, wiring, cruise control, AC and complete install. This was Stephan's guinea pig though, so got quite a deal.

Did you do this yourself or did you have a shop do it, if so what shop: Stephan's Autohaus in Sacramento, CA - (916) 456-3040

What types of issues have you run into: None

Last edited by 1621 on Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Conversion Owners Reply with quote

" I am looking for real owners of these conversion to post there info in this thread. The info I am looking for is "

Engine Type: Vanagon waterboxer

How many miles on donor engine and what year of make and model:
150,000+ miles (broken odometer) 1986 vanagon syncro,stock longblock, 44 IDF carbs, merged header

How many miles have you logged since conversion: approx 800miles

Gas mileage: around 25 varies with gas pedal Smile

Cost: free from my friends syncro, plus mant hours creating my conversion kit plus around $400 in materials

Did you do this yourself or did you have a shop do it, if so what shop:
yes- self made

What types of issues have you run into:
runs cool even at 90mph

"I am also looking into the longevity of these conversion and how they stand up against the waterboxer " Confused
OH! I'm sorry, am I in the wrong place? Laughing

"Thanks for the input and knowledge of this site and the people who contribute"
I hope I didn't ruin your thread!
wiartonallan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine Type: Zetec 5000 km. (maybe)...

How many miles have you logged since conversion: 50,000 km. Two BIG trips.

Gas mileage: 20+ US mpg.

Cost:5-6K plus optional transmission rebuild, cv joints etc.

Did you do this yourself or did you have a shop do it, if so what shop: Did it myself

What types of issues have you run into: Minor stuff related to used engine, one Bostig mfg. error. Great support, never felt like I was alone.

85 Westfalia/Bostig
18 Tigun
08 Frieghtliner Sprinter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ranchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Conversion Owners Reply with quote

Engine Type: 2001 EJ25 Subaru

How many miles on donor engine and what year of make and model: approx 100k 2001. Forester

How many miles have you logged since conversion: 20,000

Gas mileage: avg 18.
90% of the time fully loaded syncro westy

Cost: approx 6k, including new everything - exhaust, radiator, stainless coolant lines, etc.

Did you do this yourself or did you have a shop do it, if so what shop: did it myself

What types of issues have you run into: Still have knock sensor code. Don't have full travel on accelerator. Excellent otherwise
'90 Westy Syncro EJ25 (money pit #1)
'96 FZJ80 (cheap by comparison^^)
'13 Golf R. Daily driver.
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: forgot to mention Reply with quote

Forgot to mention i did insatall my self however Stefans Auto Haus did my harness and engine mounts/brackets. He also provided me with alot on usefull info to make install as pain free as possible....
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1984 Westy

2.0L Tiico conversion (I-4)

Van was converted already when I bought it. I've owned it for 4.5 years.

184,000 miles on the van, 45,000-50,000 miles of me driving the conversion. About 5,000 on the conversion by the previous owner. Engine was "new" according to the old (no longer up) Tiico site, but was really a zero miles Remtec rebuild of a 1.8L bored out to 2.0L.

Issues: Exhaust manifold cracking, Hall sensor wire failure, various wiring issues due to incompetent installer/jackass PO, and lately has had a stumble off idle that I cant figure out (everything seems to check out okay). Oh and rust, so much rust, but thats not really a conversion issue.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vannygun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine Type: 1995 2.2 OBD II(milage on engine 107,000miles)

How many miles have you logged since conversion: 2500
Gas mileage: 24-28 with gps since speedo inop..

Cost:$2100.

What types of issues have you run into: has a cold start issue and a surging idle that I havent had time to diagnose since conversion.
2006 jeep commander
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine Type: Audi 2.5TDi 5 Cyl

How many miles on donor engine and what year of make and model: No idea but I expect way over 100K!

How many miles have you logged since conversion: 40K

Gas mileage: Varies between 25-35mpg. Less since I've chipped it.

Cost: Oh blimey... I haven't added it up but I'd estimate (including gearbox and front diff builds to match the engine) £6-7K

Did you do this yourself or did you have a shop do it, if so what shop:
Did it all myself. I don't want to think how much it would've cost to pay someone to do all this.

What types of issues have you run into: Gearbox needing rebuilding every 30K or so due to the torque (currently around 275ftlbs). More vibration through the body at certain rpms as gearbox mounts aren't designed for a 5 Cyl TDi etc, the need for an oil cooler (oil temps were going sky high). Lots of niggly things which are listed in the Limey thread.

Would I do it again? In a Syncro 16 Westy? yes (or the more modern 3.0 V6 TDI from VW) ... in a vehicle which had enough room to fit an LPG tank... that'd take some considering. The only thing I'd put in instead would be an Audi 20V 2.2 Turbo Petrol engine...

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: syncroghia Reply with quote

I like sycroghia. I drove a van with his engine choice and loved it!!! The only other swap i'd do aside from a 1.8t!!!! Cool
funagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Conversion Owners Reply with quote

Joe VW wrote:

OH! I'm sorry, am I in the wrong place? Laughing
I hope I didn't ruin your thread!

Joe, you are a mad scientist. I like it!
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the point of your post? I mean the real reason? Please tell me!

Your looking for a conversion and don't know which one to choose??????

Don't take that wrongly, just asking. There is so many engine conversion threads just use the search engine.

TDI, Bostig, inline 4, Subi... they are all better than the stupid stock engine. Don't start me off with the reliability of the stock engine, there is none, period. I spent (Is should say I lost) a full week solving numerous water boxer FI problem, it's almost a joke. Yea, maybe they where good someday but those days are long gone.

90 hp on a 4000 pds van, yea, sure.

I still work a lot on stock engine but i mostly do Subi conversion, lately, every-time I see a stock engine i want to go hide somewhere in the bush.

I have logged over 38k mile with a 2.5L Subi, went to Mexico, Florida, east cost so many time, it never but NEVER left me stranded.

The question (or thread) should be: why are some of you still drive that van with a stock engine????????

I don't get it, some of you just keep on making your life so miserable. You have no idea.

See the light, open your mind (and wallet of course).

Today, I lost 5 hours on a stock engine, again, a strange FI problem, i didn't have time for that but the guys was so nice, nice 2 kids in the back, I charged him 2.5 hours.. my lost, or my gain! Nice family from Alberta.

I now have 223 hp in the back (dyno checked), no Turbo. I want more....

I'm not even drunk tonight... Just very realistic.

It's my job.

My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: ^^ Reply with quote

Off the meds again, I see...

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: I agree!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Anyhing is better then the stocker, even a subie Wink ..... Yer gona spend as much on old tech as you would new..... Go figure............
Joe VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post

Last edited by Joe VW on Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Joe VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe VW wrote:
ftp2leta wrote:
What is the point of your post? I mean the real reason? Please tell me!
I don't get it, some of you just keep on making your (insert "my") life so miserable. You have no idea.

Talk about a closed mind Rolling Eyes
Sure, It was a tweek for people like you.
I don't entirely disagree with you. But to say the waterboxer is unreliable is a joke. Yes the engines are getting old, most problems are caused by what's attached to them.
My above post is what I decided to do with an engine that was removed from a syncro that got an engine err... "motor" conversion.
I eliminated almost all of the waterboxers shortcommings.
On my own vanagon I added a turbo and fuel injection from a Volvo turbo. I can guarentee it makes more power than a stock 2.5 subaru -I have driven a vanaroo.
I get between 20 and 22mpg
As far as reliability, so far it runs nicer than with the stock digifant injection. time will tell how long it will last. I am very happy with my turbo "conversion" minus the trans gear ratios. Wink
Does this meet your requirements of a conversion? :
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: