Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78 and 79 heater not in use exhaust pipes
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: 78 and 79 heater not in use exhaust pipes Reply with quote

does anyone have any pictures or writeups showing how/where those pipes mount on 78 and 79 baywindows, that route the heat (when not in use) out of the back of the bus?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

these things.

Thanks!
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They come off the heater control valve and exit at below the bumper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a recent thread about these. Do a quick search and you'll get plenty of info.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im looking, just not finding yet. are they called something in particular that would be useful to know in a search?

I also know where they go, and my bus is a 79, so im assuming it was supposed to have them (and why I picked up a set) but im just not seeing where they mount to the body.

ETKA shows a little pipe or sleeve between the heater control valve and these things, which im sure I can fabricate once i figure out how long this gap is between the two, by identifying the mounting points.

i thought it would be obvious, but I crawled under there and tried temporarily holding it in place to see where this would be mounted and nothing jumped out at me.
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search for 'dump tubes'
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine were off when I got the bus but I was thinking they mounted on the moustace bar.

These are from Colin's bus....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sage79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tabs mount to the moustache bar as shown in the picture with the "whistle" to the back of the bus. Flex hose connects from the heater flap box to the front of the pipes. There are recent discussions on this.
'77 delux 2.0FI 090Auto - now my son's
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply's - that picture is useful.

I went out and mocked it up, and as is it'll be pressing up against the passenger side tire, but these tabs probably just get bent around over the years so ill mount it up and then bend it over into position so it isn't rubbing anything.

I get why people remove them now though, it'll be another freakin obstacle in the way of the valve covers.

mine is a California model 79, and on the drivers side heat control Valve it looks like your normal baywindow model, no port to dump the heat when it isn't being used.

I wonder if that was switched at some point in it's life or if it's somehow due to the California model having SO MUCH SHITE over there already. that crazy crossover pipe to the cat and the Cali specific drivers side heater box and ox sensor - it's nearly impossible to get to the valve cover on that side as is?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is busy over there on the 3/4 side and your heater control valve has been changed out.

I have a couple sets of those dump tubes around here, but never have seen the need to use them.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Yes it is busy over there on the 3/4 side and your heater control valve has been changed out.

I have a couple sets of those dump tubes around here, but never have seen the need to use them.

because you changed the valve over to the earlier style ones?

I have one stock and one old one. im guessing I should either use the dump tube at least on the side with the original valvle or switch the valve to the older style on that side.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One 79 bus has the 72-74 heads/control valves and the other has the 79 heads/control valves to use them.

I don't use the dump tubes in either of them though.
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me crazy, but getting heat to exit out the back away from your heads can only be a plus.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best guess is that by 1978 with hotter exhausts for catalytics, and many buses in hot climates had A/C so the heat being constantly released underneath made things worse in stop and go traffic. You may also have had some kind of issue where in stop and go the air exhausting out of those tubes helped push tailpipe gases away from the bus. Most factory cars were seeing A/C by the end of the 1970's and VW was probably getting complaints from the field that buyers were unhappy. I vividly remember that after installing A/C in my 1982 CJ7 not driving my 71 bus much anymore in Los Angeles because the bus was cold in winter and hot in summer. I also remember an event about that time in my bus of hitting a dip in an intersection that was about 1' deep in water during a winter storm that threw water on the hot exhaust and the bus instantly became a sauna - even shutting down the heat didn't help much because the whole area around the bus became a cloud as the exhaust dried out over about a minute or two. Directing all the spare air away backwards would have helped with those things.
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ac in a late bay was a luxury.Very few had them.It's my belief that the German engineers never rested on their laurel's and were always trying to improve the type 4 engine.The earlier mushroom flapper boxes dump the heat far less efficiently.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
Ac in a late bay was a luxury.Very few had them.It's my belief that the German engineers never rested on their laurel's and were always trying to improve the type 4 engine.The earlier mushroom flapper boxes dump the heat far less efficiently.

I don't know. It worked for how many years? Then a year later the bus is gone? I don't think the engine cared except in stop and go in hot climates. Personally I would not have hydraulics on any car unless forced to. You don't want those and solid lifters. The valve springs on hydraulics are too heavy for the heads.
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.Hydraulics were VW's way of appeasing lazy consumers.It amazes me when people do total rebuilds and use them.It's the stop and go that abuses any engine.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone came up with the idea that the dump tubes were to get heat away from the fuel tank to cut down on emissions. Seems reasonable to me. Don't remember right now if Vanagon had the dump system or not, but if VW eliminated it on the Vanagon at the same time they moved the tank that would indicate that the dump system was there to keep the fuel in the tank from evaporating.

I have seen several Vanagon and late Bay engines that ran to very high mileage with hydraulic lifters, in the 350,000 mile range. Most people running solid lifters had to do a rebuild at half or one third that mileage, so I don't knock hydraulics.
outrun1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: dUMP tUBES Reply with quote

Hey a little off topic but why I was browsing...what type of flex tube does everyone use between the two dump tubes....I keep trying all kinds of flex hose and have little success...and it looks terrible. Any correct size flex out there for this application?? Thanks guys.!!!
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no connection between the dump tubes.

They mount right on the heater control box, so no additional tubing is involved.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine did not connect directly to the heater control box, and I ended up using a small section of heater hose, the exact same one that is in the engine compartment itself.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: