Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Filtered water
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Filtered water Reply with quote

Bottled water is killing my storage room any one using a home or boat filter off the water tank I was thinking of this one it is 12 volt is there something better?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

THE MODEL 500

The WaterFixer uses a 2 Stage sterilizing system while allowing a 1.5 gallons per minute flow rate; perfect for single point of use applications.

STAGE 1 - The activated carbon cartridge removes particles down to a half micron (0.5) which removes fine sediment and chemicals while improving your water’s odor and taste. It is equally effective filtering Cryptosporidium and Giardia cysts.

STAGE 2 - The big difference is the system’s final step. Your water is exposed to high intensity germicidal ultraviolet light in a stainless steel disinfection chamber. The UV light effectively destroys any bacteria or viruses that may be present.

NO CHEMICALS USED....
Like Mother Nature, the Waterfixer’s ultraviolet high intensity lamp provides the same germ destroying protection as that produced by sunlight.

NO WAITING...
The Model 500 WaterFixer's 1.5 gallon per minute flow rate means no waiting to fill your glass or containers.

NO WASTED WATER...
Reverse osmosis systems can waste as much as 4 gallons of water to flush out its system for every 1 gallon delivered. No precious water is wasted with the WaterFixer's unique design.

NO SEPARATE WATER TANK...
Other technologies require separate water tanks that use valuable space. WaterFixer's method of sterilizing water at a high flow rate makes a separate tank unnecessary.

NO DANGER FROM INFECTION...
The ultraviolet chamber kills germs which may grow on activated charcoal filters and in water tanks. Unlike other methods, the WaterFixer does not store unprotected water.

NO SPECIAL TOOLS...
Easy installation requires very little time and simple
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deides
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basically this is a brita filter system with an extra ultraviolet light. ultraviolet will only kill bacteria and things that live. so i guess that is good! Unfortunately, i dont think the pump is strong enough to power a reverse osmosis, which is the cleanest water you can get.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the water hoses from the tank to the faucet, plus the water filler hose, installed new pump, new Shutflo faucet and cleaned water tank with a bleach solution so I can dump bottled or drinking water in the tank and drink as I please.

Others have installed an in-line Britta filter, I think Shurflo has a similar filter too, you can find them at West Marine

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
I replaced the water hoses from the tank to the faucet, plus the water filler hose, installed new pump, new Shutflo faucet and cleaned water tank with a bleach solution so I can dump bottled or drinking water in the tank and drink as I please.

Others have installed an in-line Britta filter, I think Shurflo has a similar filter too, you can find them at West Marine

So when you travel you just keep pouring bottled water in the tank no hoses from strange places.
Pouring 12 gallons of water in sounds like a pain can you still drink it after a week in the heat or do you have to keep flushing it? I drive for a month at a time here and there so I am trying to cover all the bases
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bibbylauer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storing and drinking water from the tank should be fine if your system is clean. Since I haven't gone through my plumbing thorouhly yet, I've generally used mine for non-potable uses like cleaning up and giving the dogs a bowl as I carry a separate 3 gallon expandable jug and several nalgene bottles for drinking water. I've found I stop frequently enough when camping at places that have potable water for refills.

If you're concerned about using the tank, a good cleaning/chlorination (the bleach solution should roughly get to 100 ppm free chlorine) as madspaniard did should take care of bacterial concerns and you could always have the water tested cheaply by dropping a sample off with the local health department or lab to be confident that the quality is acceptable and the system is clean.
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bibbylauer wrote:
Storing and drinking water from the tank should be fine if your system is clean. Since I haven't gone through my plumbing thorouhly yet, I've generally used mine for non-potable uses like cleaning up and giving the dogs a bowl as I carry a separate 3 gallon expandable jug and several nalgene bottles for drinking water. I've found I stop frequently enough when camping at places that have potable water for refills.

If you're concerned about using the tank, a good cleaning/chlorination (the bleach solution should roughly get to 100 ppm free chlorine) as madspaniard did should take care of bacterial concerns and you could always have the water tested cheaply by dropping a sample off with the local health department or lab to be confident that the quality is acceptable and the system is clean.

No problems with the tank its the water source that I wonder about you can have the cleanest tank on the planet and put bad things from a hose or maybe some nice brown Florida well water who knows I might put a rinse station on the van so I would be use a lot more water so I will fill up more.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, if you travel for extended periods of time like you say, then the unit you posted about looks like a great idea for peace of mind when using the water tank and water from an unconfirmed source.

You say it is 12v but in the pic I can see a 110v plug and white cord.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this:

http://www.filtersfast.com/Pentek-CBC-5-water-filters.asp

and this:

http://www.filtersfast.com/Pentek-158003-Filter-Housing.asp
http://www.filtersfast.com/Pentek-244047-filter-mounting-bracket.asp

I am mainly worried about Giardia that's why I went with the 0.5 micron filter. The UV light seems like a cool idea though.
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

info on plumbing ?
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an in-line filter that I use with my "sanitary" fill hose --- picked up both at a local RV supply store. Works great for us --- I just fill the tank with the filtered water --- tastes great!

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
- John Wooden
keving
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

presslab wrote:
I bought this:

That looks like a great idea. Got a pic of what the install looks like? Curious if it created a non-usable space in your cabinet or something.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I never understand is, if water is good enough for a dog to drink, then why is it deemed not okay for a human? If you won't drink the water (you being anyone) why give it to the dog?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you don't need to leave the lid down to keep me from drinking out of the toilet like you do with a lot of dogs I have known. I don't generally eat stuff off the ground in various stages of decomposition either. This leads me to believe that dogs have very different bacterial flora in their stomachs than we do and that they can generally handle more funky stuff than we can.

At home my dog gets the same filtered water that we drink, but the fact that all dogs are the direct descendants of wolves unquestionably makes them more tolerant of impurities in their water and food sources than we are.

On the odd occasion that we use the water system in the Westy, I use a simple inline carbon filter like the Culligan RV-600 that connects directly to a garden hose. It doesn't eliminate bacteria, but I wouldn't drink anything that comes out of the water tank without boiling it first anyway. For the city water inlet at a campground the RV-600 will remove the chlorine taste from the water as well as any small debris that may be suspended in the water supply.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
scobax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
Something I never understand is, if water is good enough for a dog to drink, then why is it deemed not okay for a human? If you won't drink the water (you being anyone) why give it to the dog?

In order to understand the differences between a dog's constitution and that of humans, perhaps you might like to undertake a little experiment. Go out in the yard and consume the first pile of dog feces that you see. Stand by for the results. It shouldn't take long.

Observe then the seeming lack of gastrointestinal distress exhibited by the dog that does likewise. I think then the answer to your question will become clear.

Dogs and humans are distinctly unique species with extremely different capabilities in a myriad of ways. Clean water has become a cornerstone of human disease prevention and is well established world-wide as the first step in managing disease within developing areas. Microbial infection is a quite serious threat to human well-being.

I would caution you against drinking from the toilet or even sharing a dish of water with any dog, no matter how sweet the disposition.

Whilst we like to think of our pets as "almost human", they are decidedly not, love them as we may. Smile

“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong, that's when adventure starts” -Yvon Chouinard

"It's not expensive, its priceless" -Unknown
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great comprehensive replies.

I always put any toilet seats down but I'm a woman. We all have our opinions. If I won't drink it, then I won't give it to my dog. That's my opinion. Reminds of a rather famous Bishop Sheen book many decades ago. He was stranded in the desert and he survived by drinking his urine. The human body can tolerate a lot more than we think in emergencies. In the mean time I feed my dog well and provide potable water. The modern dog is not born, not in its genetics anymore, to tolerate what a wolf did but then in those days water was purer and they killed their meat so it was fresh. They were in fact quite discerning eaters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scobax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh yes, but urine is, in fact, sterile... As a matter of course, I too refrain from relieving myself into the onboard water tank! Just a personal quirk, I guess.

Humans and our comparatively fragile constitutions conditioned by generations of clean water and cooked food to no longer need the robust gut fauna of our ancestors or quadrupedal friends, alas, are fairly susceptible to the fungal growths oftentimes found in a water system such as that in the Vanagon with it's many low points in the plastic tubing that are hard to clear of standing water.

Thus, it is a fair precaution against distress to treat the water in this system as suspect. filtration is a reasonable measure if one intends to drink from this tank, though some with heartier immunities and cleaner water systems may never experience any difficulties. It's a roll of the dice, I suppose. I, for one, choose filtration.

“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong, that's when adventure starts” -Yvon Chouinard

"It's not expensive, its priceless" -Unknown
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Filtered water Reply with quote

Alaric.H wrote:
Bottled water is killing my storage room . . .

Drinking bottled water is killing the planet.
About 50 billion bottles of water are consumed annually in the US.
Up to 54 million barrels of oil was used to make these bottle and deliver them to your local store.
There's lots more reasons not to drink bottled, but you get the drift.

Good you to kick the needless habit and get a filter.

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked man a lot of good, semi-off-topic info...here's a little more...

The trouble as mentioned with extended trip is water of various quality.
I have found that filtering the water before putting it in the tank allows
"stuff" to grow in there more easily. So whenever I can I fill up with
chlorinated city water. I also get water tank chlorine from RV places.
I hate the taste but it's the only way I have found to keep the whole
system clean. And you can always use a brita to take the taste out.
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: water Reply with quote

I haven't used my water tank or system yet. We are fortunate to have an abundance of good water in most places we wander to. I did clean the system last spring and it was in really good shape.

On another note, passing through Regina last summer we stopped at the info centre for lunch and give the kids a break. Afterwards I made myself a coffee. As I was swallowing the last mouthful my lovely wife asked (with a smile on her face) "How's the coffee?"

Turns out on the brown post, on beige cardboard wrapped in a light coloured see through tape were the words...NOT SAFE TO DRINK.

I'm OK...huh..what? I said I'm OK...who are you talking to...You...Me? huh.

Brian Very Happy

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well seeing as I haven't really been anywhere yet my plans are to fill 2 inflatable jugs with city water. I'll only use the tank for cleaning. As I drink a lot of water, I mean a lot, the jugs will get alot of use. Will keep some bottled water for back up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: