Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil pressure related to oil pump cover
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Oil pressure related to oil pump cover Reply with quote

I rebuilt my 1600 about 20k ago.....and it seems to have trouble building up pressure at start up and is much more sensitive after a highway run, i.e, flicker. Could it be as simple as the oil pump cover being a little loose?
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
El_Güero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thin oil
bad oil pump
bad oil pump cover
bad bearing gap
bad engine rebuild Rolling Eyes

only the firrst 3 can be optimistic and can be changed with the engine in and not to expesive labor

get a presure gauge and start taking readings on the engine at cold and hot start up, presure drop as temperature increseases is a good indicator of wrong oil grade or worn engine bearings,
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot endplay Wink

A loose cover would be quite obvious as you'd have a James Bond oil slick dispenser (better hope the bad guys are riding bicycles and break thier legs when they crash though because with only 2.5 quarts of oil the bus will likely stop within running distance of where the slick was released Wink ), the bus would leave an obvious puddle everywhere. Pump clearance would be high on my list as well as a loose pickup tube.

What pump do you have and was anything done to it when it was installed?
Any external filters or coolers?
What weight of oil?
Tried a gauge or different sender?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what weight oil and what is the day time temperature there. This question is only to determine if the weight of the oil is insufficient to prevent flicker when hot.
jttosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also getting the 'flicker' of the oil light after highway runs. It runs fine but after long highway runs the oil pressure gauge drops (vdo gauge) and the light comes on till i step on the gas . I am running 20-50 Castrol know and i am thinking of changing to 30 weight to see if it helps my engine at all. Unkown miles on engine . Is this a good idea or bad idea?

Thanks
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jttosh wrote:
I am also getting the 'flicker' of the oil light after highway runs. It runs fine but after long highway runs the oil pressure gauge drops (vdo gauge) and the light comes on till i step on the gas . I am running 20-50 Castrol know and i am thinking of changing to 30 weight to see if it helps my engine at all. Unkown miles on engine . Is this a good idea or bad idea?

Thanks

VDO do that
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
jttosh wrote:

Thanks

VDO do that

Yes...especially with the dual pole sending unit. Whic VDO sending unit do you have. Yo ushould install a mechanical gauge at least temporarily to verify what the pressure readings are after a highway run. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pump cover? If it's loose you will have oil all over. If it's worn it will be loose against the gears. Pull it off and if it is scored or worn reface it or replace it.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I installed the wrong gasket under the pump cover. I used the gasket for the generator support which was a lot thicker than the paper thin one you're supposed to use. Oil pressure would build ok when the oil was cold but once it got warm it would fall on its face. It took me a while to figure that one out.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: