Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best phone Apps for Droid & iPhone for the Vanagon owner
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iphone apps I use in my Van
Navigon, works even without cell reception
Clinometer, I use it to level my van for sleeping
GasBag, find cheap gas
Slacker Radio, free radio but with commercials
Trapster, fun app to report when you spot a cop
Tides, so I know when to surf
Showtimes, so I know what movie to go to after surfing
iPhone native Maps app, finds everything, all types of businesses
iPhone native Weather app, gives a week at a glance for any location

post about ProClip Dock, and music from iPhone to car stereo
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=377902&highlight=proclip

review of Navigon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=379297&highlight=proclip

ps, just tried G-tac, it thinks Im going 30mph when sitting in my living room

tried PocketDyno too, it thinks Im going 8mph, also when sitting still.. hmmm <g>
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James 93SLC wrote:
A nice Droid app for tracking vehicle maintenance is "aCar". You can track multiple vehicle repairs, maintenance records, fill-ups, and set reminders for filter and oil changes. Very slick (and FREE!).
It even generates graphs and charts if you want to depress yourself on how much you spend Laughing

Does anybody know of anything like this that integrates with Google Apps? What would be sweet (for me, being scatter brained) would be to have it plug in projected maintenance reminders in Google Calendar. Calendar can do screen pops, e-mail, or SMS-text message appointment reminders, so I'd have no excuse to miss maintenance. If you kept record of your odometer reading when you filled the tank, it could even estimate when mileage-based maintenance should be done. Of course we'd want this to be an Android app since we all know that's the future of smart phones... Wink

pd
James 93SLC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volksaholic wrote:
James 93SLC wrote:
A nice Droid app for tracking vehicle maintenance is "aCar". You can track multiple vehicle repairs, maintenance records, fill-ups, and set reminders for filter and oil changes. Very slick (and FREE!).
It even generates graphs and charts if you want to depress yourself on how much you spend Laughing

Does anybody know of anything like this that integrates with Google Apps? What would be sweet (for me, being scatter brained) would be to have it plug in projected maintenance reminders in Google Calendar. Calendar can do screen pops, e-mail, or SMS-text message appointment reminders, so I'd have no excuse to miss maintenance. If you kept record of your odometer reading when you filled the tank, it could even estimate when mileage-based maintenance should be done. Of course we'd want this to be an Android app since we all know that's the future of smart phones... Wink

pd

I believe the program will post up a reminder when you open the program. Which should give you plenty of notice if you use it regularly to track gas mileage at fill-ups. Maybe make a suggestion to the author to integrate email reminders.
-------------------------
Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/slc.corrado
--------------------------------------------------------
tencentlife "Sometimes a pooka is a problem and sometimes it's just a pooka"
Royb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iBird Plus to replace a field guide (and I like it better than the Audubon guides
Hipstamatic camera app to make beautifully crappy photos
Planets for a star guide
PeakFinder to ID all the peaks around you- augmented reality
MotionX GPS
ESRI ArcGIS program- free!
mariusstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
squeegee_boy wrote:

It seems to exist already:

http://www.tapatalk.com/

It's $3 for the iphone app, and the script for the server end is free-as-in-beer for forum owners.

Robyn

I don't think it works. The Samba uses PhpBB 2.0, and TapaTalk requires phpBB 3.0 if I remember correctly

Correct, I posted on TheSamba's admin forum (or maybe I messaged Everett, don't recall) and he said that TapaTalk was on his list of things to do once TS gets upgraded to phpBB 3.0.
blakeck2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have talked to Everette before about an iPhone or android app and he said no to them as he doesnt have either. Sad

1973 Thing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Classifieds Feedback
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Google Sync Reply with quote

I use Google Calendar and it works great with push notification. You just have to set up the exchange server.

http://www.google.com/mobile/sync/

You can also sync task list.

Scott
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Google Sync Reply with quote

scottjk wrote:
I use Google Calendar and it works great with push notification. You just have to set up the exchange server.

http://www.google.com/mobile/sync/

You can also sync task list.

Scott

I sync it to Thunderbird... I don't care much for Outlook and we don't run an Exchange server.

Paul
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> I have talked to Everette before about an iPhone or android app

I added a button on my iphone that opens safari and automatically takes me to the samba, no special app needed

I have a similar link saved for the surf report for my local spots, from surfline.com

it is very easy to make iphone buttons to go back to websites

> Of course we'd want this to be an Android app

have not tried one, does it have a browser, and can you add a button to your favorite sites, like on an iPhone..

windoze is wanna be Mac, and Android is for people who cant afford an iPhone <g>

I wont sync my calendar to Google, they dont need to host my calendar backup.. My iPhone backs itself up to my private computer easily.. doesnt an Android have that feature?
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
> windoze is wanna be Mac, and Android is for people who cant afford an iPhone <g>

I wont sync my calendar to Google, they dont need to host my calendar backup.. My iPhone backs itself up to my private computer easily.. doesnt an Android have that feature?

Windows, Linux, and Android are for folks who want choices, Mac & iPhone are for folks who like to keep it simple and have Steve Jobs tell them what they want. Wink

Just kidding... I don't have a problem with iPhone or Macs and I support all of the above. Now iTunes and Bonjour suck... but that's a discussion for a different forum! Smile

The real reason I resurrected this thread is that I mentioned that I installed Speed HUD the other day. I just uninstalled it. It looks like it runs in the background, and as near as I was able to tell, using its "Quit" option or even a "Force Close" in Android didn't seem to shut it down. SpeedView seems to be better behaved... I recommend you don't install Speed HUD, or if you already have you might want to remove it.

Paul
yggdrasil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Android web shortcuts Reply with quote

You just have to bookmark the samba.com, then you long hold on the home screen and add bookmark. A direct link.
Its decently fast but a native app might be nice.
kayakwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a list I started on our whitewater board enjoy!

http://www.waldensridgewhitewater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=228

B.5.5 Passat Wagen with 30v V6-67000 Miles

DAS AUTO

CHANGE YOUR FUEL LINES!

A post without pictures is useless

http://www.kayakwesty.com

http://www.waldensridgewhitewater.com/
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered the Droid X... Can someone elaborate on the CyanogenMod & Froyo? Is this a standalone OS or is it more an unlock tool?

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncroincity wrote:
I just ordered the Droid X... Can someone elaborate on the CyanogenMod & Froyo? Is this a standalone OS or is it more an unlock tool?

I believe that Froyo is the official Android 2.2 OS. CyanogenMod is the cracked version. If you're getting a new Droid I think it will ship with Froyo/2.2. TMobile said they were going to ship Froyo for my myTouch 3G, but that was in June and not a word's been said since, so I'm looking at CyanogenMod.

Paul
yggdrasil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Cyanogenmod. Reply with quote

cm is a tweaked operating system for your phone. It features some optimizations and replaced software bits that the original software doesnt have.
The main thing that you get is the ability to have root on your phone. this means that you can do stuff that you normally wouldnt be able to do. like use your memory card for extra ram, reboot it, tweak the network carrier settings adjust volume beyond normal parameters.
Santana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PdaNet is one of the best apps I have found.

I use it with my Droid X and Macbook Pro. You can tether your computer to your phone for wireless access anywhere. It is free, but you only have access to http sites. Sites like banking and online shopping that have secure connections (https) require the paid version. I bought the paid version a while back. They charge a one time fee, but is well worth the small cost.
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Cyanogenmod. Reply with quote

yggdrasil wrote:
cm is a tweaked operating system for your phone. It features some optimizations and replaced software bits that the original software doesnt have.
The main thing that you get is the ability to have root on your phone. this means that you can do stuff that you normally wouldnt be able to do. like use your memory card for extra ram, reboot it, tweak the network carrier settings adjust volume beyond normal parameters.

Excellent... One of the main reasons I was never interested in the iPhone is the lack of freedoms associated with Apple products, the Android OS seems to be very much in the spirit of open-source programming, even if I never use the root or superuser capability, it's just nice to know I CAN if I wish. I wouldn't call myself a hacker, but I do like to tinker & tweak. Looking forward to getting the phone!

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> The main thing that you get is the ability to have root on your phone

I can do that on my iPhone too

> lack of freedoms associated with Apple products

I dont lack any freedom, and I Love my Apple products, they make me feel even More Free..

For example, in regards to my Vanagon, my iPhone also acts as my music source, and my navigator. I am free not to carry my Garmin GPS any more, and free not to carry my phone separately from my music too..

My iPhone is also my Vanagon Roll Angle display, and so on...

Now, I will admit Android Flash video envy, Im for whatever tool works best. As you may not know, iPhone does not allow Flash, because of numerous issues..

I was jealous because the other day my friend with an Android was able to load a Flash video based webpage.. of course that makes his Android slower than my iPhone, but I was jealous..

I want to have a Choice!

turns out theres an App for that too <g>

check out the AppStore App called CloudBrowse

I can now view the wetsand.com videos, the surfline.com videos, and the hydrodynamica.com page on my iPhone, no problem!

Otoh, credit where its due, at the moment, Android with Flash turned off is Faster than iPhone for web browsing, and the screen is bigger.. thats good, it will raise the bar for the next iPhone..
HBSURFDAD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote
"I can now view the wetsand.com videos, the surfline.com videos, and the hydrodynamica.com page on my iPhone, no problem!"

Thank you to a "Brother from another Mother"! That was very helpful!
87 Wolfsberg Westy Weekender (automatic)
Rolling on 16's
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jon_slider wrote:
> windoze is wanna be Mac, and Android is for people who cant afford an iPhone <g>

hey that's funny
here ya go
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone
and
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: