Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

110 Volt Inlet - difference between Canadian and US inlet?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedygeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: 110 Volt Inlet - difference between Canadian and US inlet? Reply with quote

I need to replace the 110 Volt inlet as mine is broken, I have looked on a couple of US parts sites and it appears that the US version is different then mine?

The Canadian unit has an extension cord wired from the inside and it passes through the inlet to the outside while the US inlets I have seen have a plug built right into them where you would plug an extension cord from the outside, is this correct or am I wrong.

Does anyone know where I can order the correct replacement inlet for Cdn camper?
One more islander...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 110 Volt Inlet - difference between Canadian and US inle Reply with quote

speedygeorge wrote:
Does anyone know where I can order the correct replacement inlet for Cdn camper?

I looked for this as well, as mine had actually been removed, with a bit of body plate riveted over the space. There doesn't seem to be anyone making the Canadian replacement anymore. Probably not enough demand.

In the end, I bought a replacement US one from BusDepot. I haven't yet installed it. I remember asking earlier on the forum about it, and someone made the point that the US version was actually probably more practical. With the Canadian one, you end up with this large, fairly grotty extension cord retracted into an otherwise useful cabinet. With the US one, you just wire the socket in, and then plug an extension cord in when needed on the outside.

Sounds like a good rationalization for something you have to do anyway, to me! Very Happy

Cheers

-----

Kathy

88 Westy
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny that this pops up today, I''ll actually be replacing my Canadian one by the US model this weekend, for the exact reason OneMoreIslander mentioned: not practical.

PM me if you're interested in my old one.

JMR
speedygeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How difficult is it to wire in the US version?
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it not too difficult to convert my Canadian outlet to the US style.

Used the original Canadian fitting,
Got into the electrical cupboard, beside the water tank, and pulled the original cord into the van, until thee was only about 8" left sticking out the outlet door,
Cut the original cord,
Re wired it into the original circuit breaker
Done

Now I use a heavy extension cord outside the van, which also has a tell-tale light built in.

If I should drive away (again) before unplugging, the extension simply lets go and I lose one extension cord, isntead of ripping the side out of the van because the original cord might be tangled around a plug-in post.

Last edited by spitsnrovers on Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to stick with the Cdn system (and I wouldn't want to) you can go to a Marine store but they are expensive and take up so much room. Outdoor extension chords are best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
speedygeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
If you want to stick with the Cdn system (and I wouldn't want to) you can go to a Marine store but they are expensive and take up so much room. Outdoor extension chords are best.

If you have to carry and extension cord for US system, explain to me how I would save any space over current set up?
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chords used in boats, RV are very heavy duty (emphasis on the heavy) and bulky. Normal outdoor extension chords are, well they are much more compact, way less heavy. I've had 2 different Vanagons from the States and their system does not take out a whole cabinet for storage. I can carry 2 different ext chords much easier and I have the flexibility of using them any which way I want.

I've had sail boats and sold my heavy duty and stuck to normal outdoor ext chords for above reasons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
One more islander...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, you don't have any choice of where to store it with the Canadian version; you basically write off a quite useful and accessible cupboard (next to and aft of the fridge) because this large cord takes up most of it.

A separate extension cord can be stowed anywhere you have a bit of space!

(Sorry, DAIZEE, I realize I just more or less repeated what you said, but definitely X2!)

---
Kathy

88 Westy
speedygeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will prob just stick with existing system, the last thing I would want to
do is have a seperate cord that can be forgotten and for the very small space it takes up, size of 2 or 3 cycling water bottles, I just can't be bothered changing things.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more islander... wrote:
Also, you don't have any choice of where to store it with the Canadian version; you basically write off a quite useful and accessible cupboard (next to and aft of the fridge) because this large cord takes up most of it.

A separate extension cord can be stowed anywhere you have a bit of space!

Food goes into that cabinet on mine and I'd be sorely lost without that space! Laughing The extension cord is coiled up and stowed under the rear seat along with the water hose, gray water tank, etc. Grab it all at once and go... hook it all up. If you get into the habit of doing a walk-around before departing, you won't be driving off without your extension cord.

This may have been answered elsewhere (if so, my apologies), but: Does anyone know why Canada required that different "built-in" setup on the vans?
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
One more islander...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back to your original question about parts: earlier today, on another post, someone linked to Bus Boys and their catalogue.

This is the first supplier I've actually seen have anything for the Canadian version supposedly available (see item B p/n 230-93004 in diagram).

http://www.bus-boys.com/electricalwest91.html

Hope this helps!

---
Kathy

88 Westy
One more islander...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
This may have been answered elsewhere (if so, my apologies), but: Does anyone know why Canada required that different "built-in" setup on the vans?

BusBoys says "NOTE: Canadian connector plates came with a permanent power cord and breaker box harness (see G below) required by Canadian regulations." ("G" seems to have been deleted from the catalogue page--so much for the stock breaker box harness.)

Probably some minor difference in the regulations between UL (Underwriters Laboratory) in the US and CSA (Canadian Standards Association) in Canada, the two consumer electrical inspection agencies. This sort of quirk is pretty common. We Canadians would like to believe that we, and our products, are totally independent of any external influence Wink This is probably part of the reason why it's so difficult to find out what was stock for Westies in Canada.

---
Kathy

88 Westy
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a canadian syncro westy that came with the really thick extension cord.

I think the reason Canadian Vans use such a thick cord, is because it is so cold up there, that folks are very likely to plug in a 1500 watt electric heater.

Not to say a USA Van could not also use such a heater, but generally, extension cords are not as fat as the stock Canadian electric cord... Make sure you use one rated for at least 15 amps if you plan to run a 1500watt heater..

I replaced my Canadian setup with a USA setup, to keep dust from coming in the hole, so I could use the space where the Canadian cord lived, and so I could have a choice whether to carry an extension cord, and where I keep it.. (it takes up less space than the Canadian cord, even if you put it in the same spot..)

I found pulling and pushing the Canadian cable thru the hole more difficult than attaching an extension cord to the outside.. I also did not like that the Canadian hole is more vulnerable to snow, slush, and water... its just an open hole with a plug hanging out.. albeit with a flap over it..

for those who dont know, the Canadian power cord door is down low, not like on USA models..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
beelzibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My van is a Canadian spec Vanagon GL Westy Syncro, it was bought tourist delivery by the original owner, who was heading to the UK for two years. He never left the UK and the bus never made it to Canada. When I bought the van one of the first things i did was remove the 110V cable as it can't be used in the UK, I may still have it, I definitely have the outlet casing, that's due for removal very soon to be replaced by a UK spec socket. If anyone wants the original Canadian cable I'll see if I can find it. It won't be expensive. Wink
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a side by side comparison of Canadian and US plugs: identical, except for the riveted part.

When installed in the van, the yellow cap is roughly flush with the wood panel that forms the back of the lower left cabinet. The metal tube is both used as a tunnel through insulation in the side of the van and as the storage space of the male end of the (non-removable) extension.

JMR

Last edited by jmranger on Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Wa state Riviera and my outlet (American style of course) is low down also. Not high like Westy's.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: