Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Karl von Salzen's stash
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Karl von Salzen's stash Reply with quote

Well, Dad has been gone a year now. It's been a rough year, with lots of changes. Last year, I tried very hard to finish out whatever deals he had in progress when he died. Hopefully, I didn't leave anyone out.

That said, I still have a hoard of VW stuff that needs to find new homes. It would take me years to go through everything bit by bit, posting notes to ask about values, listing auctions, and shipping...so I'd prefer to make this easy.

A few of you offered to come help me sort it out, but I wasn't ready, feeling terribly overloaded. Another few offered to buy the lot outright but still, it was too much at the time. Now that it has been a year, I'm not sure who is still involved and who has moved away from the VW addiction.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears. Wink

Michelle
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest that you find someone to help you catalog it and photograph it. The put it up for sale here in the classifieds so you get some monetary return from it. If that is too hard on you just give it to someone you feel will get the best use out of it.
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I would suggest that you find someone to help you catalog it and photograph it. The put it up for sale here in the classifieds so you get some monetary return from it.

You could even offer a "commission" or percentage of each sale for the helper.
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I would suggest that you find someone to help you catalog it and photograph it. The put it up for sale here in the classifieds so you get some monetary return from it. If that is too hard on you just give it to someone you feel will get the best use out of it.

It's not too hard on me because Dad died, it's too hard on me because there is sooooo much stuff, and I can't identify it all. There is a ton of stuff here; a 40 foot cargo unit, a moving van full, plus 4 or 6 buses, in various states of disrepair.

I guess the purpose of my post was to see what kind of interest was here, after a year.
mam89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle you're sitting on a VW gold mine and it wouldn't be fair to you to
simply give it away. Find someone that knows what they're doing, someone
trustworthy, that can help. There is always interest, if not more so now
than a year ago, as parts become more scarce and sought after. Someone
should be able to step up and help.

If there is no rush to get rid of everything lock stock and barrel, then do good
by yourself and the VW community and categorize and price everything
accordingly. You can list items on the Samba classifieds section or simply
locally if that's your desire.

The #1 thing is to remember that everything your dad kept and collected
was definitely worth something. There are lots here that would agree.

78 Westy
Pez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ideas to give but I just wanted to say Thank you. A lot of people would either call up some scrappers and have it all hauled away or some would sit on it until it was to late to use anything. So thanks for taking your time to get these parts back out into the Volkswagen community.

Good luck and wish I could help, Oregon is just a tad to far!
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mam89 wrote:
The #1 thing is to remember that everything your dad kept and collected was definitely worth something. There are lots here that would agree.

To a point. I know Karl often had some valuable and rare parts, but that container, all the buses and moving van are not filled with solely rare parts. I'm going to guess that the majority are things like $5 engine tin pieces. Karl saved everything. Good , bad or ugly.

You need to ask yourself what you want out of all this. For it to all just be gone? Or to make as much money as possible? If i were you I'd have a few knowledgeable people come over and look over the stuff to get you an idea of what is there. Then entertain offers for the whole lot. The money you "lose" by selling it as a whole lot will be more than offset by the time and aggravation of cataloging everything, taking pictures, putting it up for sale and running to the post office. Another option is sell off whole cars individually, pasts lot as a whole.

I'm sure there are a few local people who would love to take a look through the stuff and let you know whats there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ritter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Karl von Salzen's stash Reply with quote

Karl wrote:

If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears. Wink

Michelle

Michelle,

There is a pretty strong air cooled VW contingent in Oregon that post to this board and over at itinerant-air-cooled.com (I'd suggest you seek help there as well). Those folk are honest, good natured and would likely be willing to lend a hand (step up lads). Perhaps host a camp out with some of them to dig through, categorize high priority items that are no longer produced and work out some general price guidelines.

While I understand you may be overwhelmed by the stash, please do what you can to make it available to the general VW community. You should expect and receive payment for the parts and your efforts. Like your father, you won't get rich doing it, but the respect Karl had in the community will never dim, nor will yours just for doing what you can.

If I was closer, I'd be there next weekend! Unfortunately, my knowledge is not up to snuff nor is my location conducive. Just please do know that the interest and need is still there.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a big job on your hands. The easiest thing for you would be to find a single buyer for everything. That would bring you the least amount of money but the least hassle. That said, you'll have to somehow try to make up a list of what you have. It's almost impossible to list everything so start with the big stuff like the buses, the engines, etc. You may have to shoot some pics of maybe a container full of parts and offer a partial listing of what's in it. You are going to have to set a price. I know that's hard to do but you have to start somewhere. I found out recently that it just doesn't work to say "Best Offer". People want a price at least to start with. So:

1) Try to get a list of the big items at least
2) Get pictures
3) Determine some kind of starting price
4) Hope for one single buyer to show up with a big truck and cash
5) If you can't locate a single buyer you'll have to sell off the pieces, starting with the big stuff and working your way down.

I'm thinking that one disadvantage you have is your location. There probably just aren't that many VW nuts up in Coos Bay. That means you'll have to attract buyers from a distance, say southern California where I'm at. That's 981 miles. These days there just isn't much money flowing around. Someone's going to get one hell of a good deal and you're going to get rid of all this stuff but putting the deal together will be tough so maybe start with some ads here on Thesamba. Good luck.

Afterthought: Maybe you can trade a bus to someone in return for them helping you catalog and price everything. Be careful though who you choose and make sure they are honest and know a lot about VW's.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Karl von Salzen's stash Reply with quote

Karl wrote:
it's too hard on me because there is sooooo much stuff, and I can't identify it all. There is a ton of stuff here; a 40 foot cargo unit, a moving van full, plus 4 or 6 buses, in various states of disrepair.

Ritter wrote:
If I was closer,

i think those are the two main points to consider. coos bay is not really "near" anything other than Eugene, so the amount of people that can actually come to help organize/catalog/identify parts may be limited. there are going to be way more "if i were closer" people than actual "hey, i can come by" people. in that respect, it may be worth more in your TIME value to have people come by, make piles of stuff they want, haggle out a price and be done with it.
i agree with mattcuddy has said.

you really need to take a good hard look at the vast quantity of stuff, and ask yourself how much of your time and money you want to devote to "getting rid" of this stuff. whether that means selling piece by piece, by larger lots, all in one shot, or taking stuff to the dump, it is going to take you a very long time to accomplish that. i guess it all boils down to what you want to happen to all the parts. do you want the process of getting rid of stuff to be done in a few months, or have it drag on for years?
you can always make piles of stuff and sell it on ebay/samba/craigslist and take what you get for it. selling large piles of stuff a piece at a time is beyond time consuming, even if you make that your full time job. packing countless boxes and shipping them takes a LOT more time and effort than people realize.

are there really good, hard to find items in the pile? undoubtedly.
are there run-of-the-mill, everyday parts that aren't really worth much? undoubtedly.
are there things that should have been scrapped 10 years ago? undoubtedly.
you need to figure out how much of your life you want to devote to figuring out the difference between them, and what that is worth to you.
patayres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michelle

I'm over in Bend & would happy to come over that way and give a hand. I will send you a PM (do you know how to check those?).

Pat

yuthi'so'coro
Ritter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patayres wrote:
Hi Michelle

I'm over in Bend & would happy to come over that way and give a hand. I will send you a PM (do you know how to check those?).

Pat

Well done, Pat. Thanks.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

id have to second or third the site http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/, there's so many Orgeon folks there it's just plain silly. not to mention a fantastic group of people in general.

as others have stated, it depends on how quickly you want it all done and over with.

if it were me, id have someone with experience come over and help identify the rare and valuable stuff, separate it from the useful-but not worth much, and then get rid of all of the 'should have been tossed years ago' stuff to just move it out of the way.

once you have it narrowed down to just the rare/valuable and not-rare but useful piles, id sell the latter in lots and the rare/valuable individually on thesamba classifieds, eBay or craigslist.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patayres wrote:
Hi Michelle

Pat

241 miles, 4:38

Very generous of you Pat.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patayres wrote:
I will send you a PM (do you know how to check those?).

I'm sure she does. She inhereted a lot more than parts from her dad. I sent her a PM also.
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could we perhaps get some pictures of the stash now? That might help us better understand what you're up against. Plus I've heard so much about Karl's "stash" all these years it seems almost legendary.

It's weird that he's been gone a year too. His knowledge will help people here for a LONG time Smile
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MOX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would post pics from different angles to give people an idea of what might be there....i'm sure people will pm you offers based on the pics!
patayres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Michelle wants my help I will be sure to photograph & document the process thoroughly.

As for the distance... we make it over to the coast often enough just to surf; to help out with this just makes the trip all the more worthwhile.

yuthi'so'coro
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patayres wrote:
If Michelle wants my help I will be sure to photograph & document the process thoroughly.

As for the distance... we make it over to the coast often enough just to surf; to help out with this just makes the trip all the more worthwhile.

how cold is that water right now? Here in San Diego we have had an extremely cold summer for water temps. They haven't really gotten any warmer than 64 degrees and we usually see around 73-75 this time of year.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd probobly do best by getting a buyer for the whole lot. Individual's will just cherry pic the good stuff and leave you with crap that's hard to pedal.

If you're looking to clean out the property and make some $ then that's the way to go. Otherwise you'll just get an army of people looking for the a peice of gold in your mountain of stuff. The time put in probobly wouldn't be worth the hassle..

I'm in no market to buy but I've sold a ton of crap on here and that's just the way folks are, a lot of headache with little rewards. Whatever way you go please don't let a scrapper get ahold of that stuff.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: