Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things stalls
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gretmattw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Things stalls Reply with quote

Novice needs help. My 73 Thing starts just fine, but will stall if I don't keep tapping the gas pedal. Doesn't matter if the engine is hot or cold, it will stall if I don't keep tapping the gas pedal. At stop signs, in the driveway, doesn't matter when or where.

I've tried to set the idle according to the Complete Idiot's guide (I have a 34PICT-3 carb), and no luck. Throttle value screw and volume control screw adjusted as per the book and no luck. STP in the gas tank. Carb cleaner.

Points, timing and values all adjusted and/or checked. Same with spark plugs. Coil is strong.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Matt
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vacuum leak, check all your hose connections including intake.
gretmattw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh.

How does one find a vacuum leak? Vacuum hoses appear to be tight and in good condition.
kirkallen143
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure your carburetor is mounted tight, and the rubber sleaves from the carb manifold to the dual port intakes are not torn. You can spray carb cleaner around these various spots while the engine is running and if the rpm raises, there's your leak.
You could also have junk (water, gel, etc..) in your float bowl clogging the jet.

Good luck.

Kirk
Sidecar Sarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also use starter fluid (ether) or, I am told, even WD40 for the "spray test".

Tom
It's a play thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: carb issues Reply with quote

If it was running fine before, then My guess is a clogged jet, remove them both (idle and main ) and stray some carb cleaner thru them and the passages they mount in.

I've been playing with my thing ever since I got it...
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your having problems with idling-check the fuel cut off switch-it is on the left side of carb when facing motor. It has a wire going to it. With the key on, remove the wire and touch it to the terminal it connects to, you should here a click, try it multiple times to make sure it isn't just working part of the time.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THINGONER wrote:
If your having problems with idling-check the fuel cut off switch-it is on the left side of carb when facing motor. It has a wire going to it. With the key on, remove the wire and touch it to the terminal it connects to, you should here a click, try it multiple times to make sure it isn't just working part of the time.

Hey Gretmattw,

This was exactly my issue when I got my 73 Thing, wouldnt idle, this above mentioned solnoid was part of the culprit, that and it was running on stale gas. Remove this solnoind and clean it, test for operation, just goes in n' out
(supposed to keep the engine from running after you kill it, "anti -diesling" solinoid I belive its called).

Mine (when I got the THING) was super funky and pretty much stuck half way, which is prob what caused the idle issue. I removed it and manually cleaned it good with a solvent and a bit of fine steel wool and ran about 5 tanks of premium gas with "Seafoam" as a fuel additive.
Marvel Mystery oil would prob do the same, but all my motorcycle bud's swear by Seafoam to keep their carbs clean from winter storage.
If you go Seafoam, its expensive, buy the gallon can and 1 regular can and just refil, it's cheaper by the gallon.

This fixed my idle issue. Hasnt done it since.

Now, trash in the fuel lines/carb, that's another issue....which I may post seperatly...

Good luck Bro, hopefully this is a easy fix.
T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: