Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2001 Mexican Bay v 2010 Brazilian Bay
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
westwopa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: 2001 Mexican Bay v 2010 Brazilian Bay Reply with quote

So what the mechanical differences between the above, engine, gearbox, suspension etc etc?
And how easy is it to get parts for either?

Cheers
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mexican bus will speak a dialect of native american and spanish slang to you when it mumbles or is excited wereas the Brazilian bus will be more formal and speak Portuguese.

A North American bus will say for example "I feel hot." The Mexican one will say "me siento caliente" where the Brazilian one will say "Eu me sinto quente."

Also where the North American bus might smell funky, musty and a bit like mildew, the Mexican bus will smell like the desert and refried beans mixed together but the Brazilian bus will smell more like anchovies.

Does this help?

I am not telling you what to, or what not to do. When a suggestion is offered, it is wishing you the best, & is based on my experiences as a mechanic, automotive machinist, & from racing in the era your bus came to life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fillmore77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The radios also play different styles, you get the Gratefull Dead on the American bus, Santana on the Mexican, and some Bossa Nova from the brazillian.

You made my day SGKent ! Laughing

1977 Bay Westy, stock 2.0l FI, Hailing from Quebec, Canada.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
El_Güero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don´t remmember all the details but a 2001 mexi bus has later digifant ( 1.8 ADD engine) FI, 091 trans, gearing depending if it was a panel or a passenger bus. also A/A was also an option available at that time, power windows, MK3 seat belts, also mexi buses have a more thiner skin, electricalls are the same as a MK3, intermitent wipers available, three stage heater blower,

these buses are tuff, and i mean you don´t see their owners winning about the tin missing sindrome, they run up to 140 Km/h, usually the engine lasts more than 200K properly tuned and cared for.

Issues include clutch cable problems, fuel pump jamming problem with poor fuel quality, engine mounts breaking, exhaust leakege at 6 bolt mount, squeaky front beam, stearing peeling off, leaking &/or cracked coolant pipes, etc.

ahhh and when the bus dies at the midle of nowhere it wispers to your ear with a soft delicate sound: "Ya te chingaste amigo"!
westwopa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
The Mexican bus will speak a dialect of native american and spanish slang to you when it mumbles or is excited wereas the Brazilian bus will be more formal and speak Portuguese.

A North American bus will say for example "I feel hot." The Mexican one will say "me siento caliente" where the Brazilian one will say "Eu me sinto quente."

Also where the North American bus might smell funky, musty and a bit like mildew, the Mexican bus will smell like the desert and refried beans mixed together but the Brazilian bus will smell more like anchovies.

Does this help?

Not really, but next time check out where Mexico is..........yes it maybe south of you but its still North America!!
wirrah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth...

2010 Brazillian busses run a 1.4 Polo motor with appropriate water cooling. It can run on various concentrations of ethanol...
El_Güero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wirrah wrote:
For what it's worth...

2010 Brazillian busses run a 1.4 Polo motor with appropriate water cooling. It can run on various concentrations of ethanol...

i heard somewhere that to get at least 80HP out of a 1.4 gasser youll have to pull the head berings out of the head and have a crank sping on bare top.... you can cool it alright but talk about heat abrassion, you wan´t the perfect 1.4 that pushes a 1600 Kg bus up hill goin into third as santana plays gingo.... and still you think your saving gas... Rolling Eyes tell me about it....unless you go FSI...
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very interesting..

'77 Bay CE1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67sunbeam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a special Brazilian wax for the Brazilian bus.
Antonio Trejo Premium Member
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In 1992 the last bus (T2) was made by Volkswagen of Mexico. From 1993 to 2001 the buses sold in Mexico were made in Brazil.
From 1988 to 2001: watercooled 1.8 engine.
Genuine VW Ultima Edition parts
Genuine VW Type 2 watercooled parts
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Does this help?

Steve,
You crack me up Dude.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Does this help?

Brasilian Portuguese is anything but formal

Link
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: