Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

412 Carburation
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pogel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: 412 Carburation Reply with quote

My daughter's 412 has a Progressive carb. It does lousy gas mileage It was doing only 12 mpg, but after some tuning it's up to 16. What would be the best jet set up? We are at sea level. Some of the literature shows putting the larger jets as primary while others say smaller as primary.

I have read that center Progressives are no good on Type 4s. It runs nicely, just does poor mpg.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sharkskinman
Lateral Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dual solex 40s is what the type 4s ended up with After the F.I.

altho the F.I. is great

Me of Course wrote:
Extremity is relative to how far your willing to jump

Ward Cleaver wrote:
You ever try a pink golf ball, Wally? Why, the wind shear alone on a pink golf ball can take the head off a 90-pound midget at over 300 yards

PS4 "NKOGNEATO"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With low milage ...it means that it is also running a short dirty life inside of the engine. I am not a fan of the progressive carb on these engines. It requires not only proper jetting but manifold heat. That carb was never built for runners that long.

That being said....send a PM to Wildthings. I understand he is an expert at getting progs to run much better than average on these engines. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pogel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: 412 Carburation Reply with quote

Sharkskinman do you have a photo of your set up? Do the carbs fit beneath the engine cover? I also have some dual Dellorto carbs which I might be able to fit on.

Ray thanks for the info. I'll see if Wildthing can help.
sharkskinman
Lateral Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry mine is F.I. and i have a 411 so no engine lid

Me of Course wrote:
Extremity is relative to how far your willing to jump

Ward Cleaver wrote:
You ever try a pink golf ball, Wally? Why, the wind shear alone on a pink golf ball can take the head off a 90-pound midget at over 300 yards

PS4 "NKOGNEATO"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rjhucka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Carbed 71 411 with surging idle Reply with quote

New to posting so excuse me if I am improperly posting this. I have a 71 411 I have purchased for my son. the 411 came with an old Rochester carb. I have it running fine, with the exception that the idle of the engine surghes up and down, and the power is not so great. I have rebuilt the old Rochester and no real change. Any ideas?

Thanks!

rjhucka
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change it back to it's original fuel injection or dual Solex/Weber carburetors? Does the single Rochester stick up through the engine lid?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
rjhucka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: 411 Carb idle power problem Reply with quote

No, the Rochester fits fine as it is a fastback with plenty of room. I have most of the FI parts and can probably find needed items, but as I am recently unemployed and working on a shoe-string, trying to make the Rochester work.

I suspect the problem might be one of the following:

1. The two leads out of the fuel tank, one is being used with an electronic fuel pump to push to the carb. The lead is other is capped off altogether. Would this lead to a pressure surge up and down? Like a "gurgle" in a gas can without the air release cap opened?
2. When I bought the vehicle there was a pressure regulator (after market - not a regular FI pressure regulator) with a dial on it that was leaking so I toook it off. Maybe fixing the regulator and setting properly might help? I have seen such aftermarket regulators on other bugs etc.

Thanks for any help and for your reply
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You better buy a buy a new Holley etc fuel pressure regulator and PRAY you can dial your electric fuel pump down to about 3 lbs pressure for carburetors.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
rjhucka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: $11 carbed idle and power problem Reply with quote

Thanks! I give this a try and will let you know.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: