Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Van parting - what would you keep?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Van parting - what would you keep? Reply with quote

if your parting out a vanagon, what are the primary items you would keep?

id obviously like to keep the motor/trans and aftermarket bits and pieces that are in good shape and could be used on another van, but wondering what else I should keep an eye out for that people usually miss.

im assuming that I can have it towed to the yard as long as the wheels are still on it (though I want to keep the wheels, ill have to try and find some junkers to swap onto it, those tires are nearly new)

things im definitely keeping:
gauge cluster (from an 85, modded so the tach works on the aircooled Vanagon)
Koni red shocks
Cabinets
Seats (with swivel assemblies)
H4 headlights
Westy top seals (5 years old, looks brand new still)
BA6 heater, with everything that's connected to it.
Bumper end-caps and rear bumper (no dents!)
Dual battery setup

what about the computer/ecu? I don't want a giant pile of stuff that people rarely need, or is barely worth a few bucks.
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had flatbed trucks take cars without wheels just call the wrecker first.

91 Vanagon AUTO
97 Single Port EJ22 all smallcar.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't overlook small detail items, some are window handles, vent covers, handles, panel clamps, etc....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep what you can. I did with my '85 parts van. ZERO regrets. Took almost everything off.

As long as tow truck operator knows it doesn't have wheels and can actually get at the vehicle, then they should have no problem hauling it away. The guy I used dragged it a little along my drive way to get it in position, but that was no big deal. (my driveway looks like ass anyway Wink ) After in position, he was able to extend the bed down and deal with it.

Neil.

It gave it's last remaining life to help out my swap .... and upgrade to WBX tranny!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill keep as much of the stuff that allows me to drive it around in place as long as possible, but once the drivetrain and parts from the underside are pulled, I guess ill consider taking off the wheels to.

that seems crazy to me, but hey, why not? my neighbors already think im nuts - every trash day im driving VW's all around the block parking them where I can and leaving little marks where ive been. ;p
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep or sell EVERYTHING. I even sold body panels off mine. Having no wheels or suspension wasn't a problem. I put mine up on 4 jack stands. With a good floor jack and some lumber it will go right up on a trailer. Mine was hauled away for free for scrap value.

GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats the way a van should go off to the junkyard
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I'd say keep absolutely everything and anything you don't use you can probably sell. Nothing is too small nor too big to keep. I'm going to a van that is pretty picked over for the important things but I see lots of things I need and/or want which will make my van better. Good pic by the way! I'd think if you needed panels, or ? and they are in excellent condition = KEEP IT

There is a blue transporter there, I will take some pics and get info on it and post just in case! Recycle, recycle, recycle in part or complete.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Parting a vanagon Reply with quote

I've been getting parts off a Vanagon at a re-cycler for over a year (not a junk yard). The dude told me that he would not crush it until I said okay.

I need to make one more trip and hope to do so this month!

So far, I've removed the gas tank, complete shift linkage and shifter, windshield, door handles, stirring wheel complete column, cluster, grill, front bumper, signal lights front and back, marker lights, rear deck lid, and both front doors.......... slider door is no good. I'd like to remove the front suspension! Rear suspension was removed by someone else!

Get and save all you can!....once it is gone, well, it's too late to go back!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, are you getting rid of your Vanagon Westy?
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aircooled: if you don't want to strip the van all the way, it would be good to find someone who will. Otherwise everything is wasted. Seriously you can sell just about anything here on the classified and/or Craig's list. Ideally don't look at it as salvage, look at it as saving for posterity. Wink
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many things aren't worth the time of dismantling/storing/advertising/shipping and collecting funds. I took a van apart and ended up giving away many things and chucking some in the trash and I still have stuff sitting around. If it is your occupation or you have a lot of free time go for it otherwise you are wasting time with the litle parts. A good way to find if it is worth your time is search the classifieds here and see the asking prices. I found someone that wanted some body panels and I cut those out for him before I cut it into little bits but even that took some effort.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you Synro but don't these vans take effort anyway. It's the price we play. If its not worth stripping then perhaps he should look for someone to give it to who would be interested. There are lots who would be. I have a list of odds n ends I need. Even driver's inside panel and other little things. I'm hoping I'll find them locally. I didn't want to throw out my perfectly good OEM wheels so I looked around for someone who does lots of vanagon work, with air cooled, wbx and I gave them to him. I just didn't want to throw them out. If he does then I will have tried and that's what is important to me. I'm hoping it will be payed forward. Perhaps full fil someone else's need.

I suppose its no big deal now a days but I've still got to meet my standards of caring and giving.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut,

"Keep what you can. I did with my '85 parts van. ZERO regrets. Took almost everything off. "

You let that thing go with the headlight buckets and adjusters in it? Damn!
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Vanagon Nut,

"Keep what you can. I did with my '85 parts van. ZERO regrets. Took almost everything off. "

You let that thing go with the headlight buckets and adjusters in it? Damn!

Heh. Yah. After I posted the pic I saw those lonely headlights and figured someone would comment. Wink

Seriously though. As per PDXwesty, I almost cut out the rear upper panels for a buddy in OR.

Too bad it was such a rust bucket down low. The panels are cool!

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: