Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mallory's start retard question
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bones 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Mallory's start retard question Reply with quote

The digital VI has a start retard function and I'm not certain what the purpose is. I have been a bit disappointed in the way the car starts with the mallory system. It does not fire at the twitch of the key as it did with the bosch stuff but instead takes a few more revolutions to fire up. I tried setting the retard function both up and down but don't really see a change. This is with a unilite, digital hyfire box and mallory coil. Initial timing is set at 10 and total is 32. Elevation is 4800 feet.

Does anyone have experience with the start function adjustment? Thanks
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are not running a pretty substantial compression ratio, you probably don't need the start retard...

GEX has. Just sayin
vdubnut58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The purpose of the start retard is so you can run a lot of initial timing. You can even lock it out at 32 but have the retard set to start the motor on 8. Adjusting this won't make your car start at the twitch of the key. Since your have a start retard you should try 8* for start up 22* at idle 32* total and see how your car runs. I have my msd set up with the largest bushing so it only allows for 12* of advance. So I run 20* with 32* My msd fires instantly
Bones 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I'm running 9.6:1 so not too much at this elevation with a K10. I'll mess with it some more.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: