Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

poptop seal corners
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: poptop seal corners Reply with quote

I am in the process of replacing the poptop seal using the one from Busdepot. On the old seal, the inner lip that touch the van body at the rear corners was cut off, see picture below, this is the bottom view:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Do I need to do the same for my new busdepot seal ?
The inner lip were also cut off at the forward part of the seal that joint the flat seal between the luggage rack. Two and a half inches was cut off before the flat seal starts.

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
BushChicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cut outs in the back allow any water that gets in there to drain out the back. The cuts before the flat seal is so the top sits more flush where it meets the rear edge of the luggage rack.

I cut the bulb on my replacement seal to provide these two areas of relief/drainage.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BushChicken wrote:
...I cut the bulb on my replacement seal to provide these two areas of relief/drainage.

And I did not, but then I'm on the dry side of the world and seldom think about drainage.
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and - I put mine on just as they came out of the box. Had to crimp the corners a bit to get them to lie correctly at the rear point of the top, but no problems in 4 years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BushChicken,
Thanks for the explanations. I will cut mine out as I think the top will sit better that way besides water drainage. The turn at these two corners is quite sharp so cutting the "tube" out will help.

Just did the luggage rack seal and realize half way through there is an inside/outside face. Have to pull it out and reinsert. A lot easier to push the new seal in if I loosen the four screws and four nuts and move the rack forward a bit.

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did new top seals last year and DID NOT cut out a chunk of the weatherstripping there. I get the whole drainage idea, but the concern for me would be wind noise. At highway speeds it seems to me gaps in the top seal right at those two front corners would be just asking for a new wind noise.

I've also never had a problem with drainage. Most water runs out the back of the luggage rack area, and the little bit that's left sneaks out of those front corners even with the intact seal.

I also make it part of my spring time clean-up of the van to remove the luggage rack, and wax the painted roof underneath.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiram - I notice you say
Quote:
At highway speeds it seems to me gaps in the top seal right at those two front corners would be just asking for a new wind noise.

I've also never had a problem with drainage. Most water runs out the back of the luggage rack area, and the little bit that's left sneaks out of those front corners even with the intact seal.

Stevey88 asked about cutting the corners at the rear of the poptop. It seems to me that the corners at the front of the luggage rack are not so sharp they would need cutting.
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, maybe I'm confused by the last lines in the original post.

The inner lip were also cut off at the forward part of the seal that joint the flat seal between the luggage rack. Two and a half inches was cut off before the flat seal starts.

And also the picture seems to look like the front seal, not the rear seal.

Anyway, I'll cover both bases by saying I did not cut in either place, and have had no problems. Wink

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
BushChicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, like many of you have experienced, it is not strictly necessary to make these cuts. Just didn't seem like a bad idea and it was quick and easy.

As for wind noise at the front corners: If you cut the bulb so it ends right where the rear edge of the luggage rack begins, the U-channel sits cleanly on the luggage rack and the bulb takes up the gap just as the luggage rack ends.

I think it actually makes a better seal this way and would reduce wind noise. Of course, I didn't do any testing or comparisons, I just liked the way it looked better. In practice I'm sure it makes little difference either way and it just comes down to personal preference.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: