Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Red w/ Racing Stripes, a 74 Super Build...
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Red w/ Racing Stripes, a 74 Super Build... Reply with quote

So, I’ve been trolling the samba for a while now, and figured it was finally time to post some pics of my 74 Super build. I should say that when I started, I knew nothing about cars or VW’s so I considered this entire project a trial by error kind of thing.

Anyway... without further adieu:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/url]

notice the baby tornados which–ironically enough– spontaneously re-adjust themselves in the slightest breeze. The slick wide five EMPI’s. Rusty light rings. And… that which enticed an idiot like me to drive clear across the state to pick her up— Racing Stripes!!! Very Happy

Continuing our tour around the car…

You’ll notice a small dent in the front apron, and– what you can’t see in the foto– there’s no seal under the decklid handle, or the antenna (or just about anywhere else), and as a result both have bubbled. Boo! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

But if you look really close, you might see something strange thru the front apron vents. Curious? Is that a radiator? Cause it sure looks like a radiator…. but on an aircooled beetle? Strange, it must be….

Dealer installed AIR CONDITIONING!!! Shocked

Also note the full size spare which still holds air. Great for applications like a windshield washer fluid bottle… which would be great if the hose ends weren’t all jiggered. Anyway, moving on…

ooh… welcome to the not so nice side.

First, those hoses hanging down… one of those is the wiring harness (did I forget to mention there’s no floor pans?), the other is for the AC.

Other fun stuff to point out: Crease in the front fender from an accident of some sort. a broken trigger on the driver’s door handle. Bubbling pinholes behind the crescent moon thingy. and– most dishearteningly of all– there’s about a gallon of bondo on the rear quarter– and not done very nicely I might add.

***warning to noob’s like me*** do NOT buy a beetle at night, in the rain– ever. Especially after driving clear cross NY state to see it for the first time, regardless of how nice the passenger side fotos look on craigslist, or how fun you think it would be to fix an old beetle. Embarassed

moving on.

To the heart and soul of z’beetle. Engine code HO? Wait, doesn’t that mean that my ’74 has the single port soul of ’66 beetle? Sigh… That means no doghouse. No dual relief. No accessory pully to run the AC. And, it’s only a 1500?! Of course I didn’t figure any of this out until about a week later.

Further discoveries during that time revealed that the coil and starter are both shot.

and– if you look closely at the fenders both front and back– you’ll find a curious lack of bumper holes. Po decided it would be fun to spot weld some scrap steel to the insides of the fenders and then level everything out with bondo. Which is now cracking in cute little half moon shapes. I’m guessing he did that on purpose, you know… to match the rotten half moons on the C-pillar.

Pics of the inside are… painful. The dash is cracked and diseased so badly that it’s started to spread to the steering wheel! Heater channel on the drivers side is nearly non-existent, though the passenger side is serviceable and surprisingly nice. I think most of the body work stuff is a result of the accident, cause the passenger side is in decent shape, and the drivers side is… a freeeeking bloody mess!!

Anyway, car comes with a SCAT super-fast-super-shifter, and some impeccably well cut out floor pans.

I presume the po was planning on pop-riveting in some stop signs or something. you know, to match the red on white racing stripe theme Rolling Eyes

ps– car has a title. Odometer reads 23,373. And I paid 1k. Next step: Tear Parts Off!!!

Last edited by Nepenthe88 on Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sun is shining, and the smell of disassembly’s in the air!!

I wonder how long it took the Germans to engineer that rat’s nest of wires?

Oh, and FYI, the fenders didn’t come off so easy either. about half of the bolts were rusted so badly that I wound up tearing their matching threaded cube thingies out of the body– another wonderfully engineered solution from the Krauts. The other half… just weren’t there! Po wound up holding everything together with about a box of self tapping sheet metal screws– Brilliant!!

Engine removal was.. um… yeah, I dropped it.

What can I say? It’s a new jack and was way more sensitive than I expected. Everything’s ok though. it was only about 5 inches. Still, I cussed a fair bit at my own idiocy and then made myself feel better by thwaping a huge chunk of bondo off the rear apron.

and then I went online and bought a crappy brazilian replacement

And while I was there, I found me a real slick idea courtesy of the bug-me video series.

I call it: The Super Beetle lift kit!

I have to keep reminding myself not to open the doors though. I imagine the whole thing will probably fold in half if I forget– eeek!

69_67VWBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you got your work cutout for you, especially since this is your first one. Can i ask what you paid for it?
1970 VW baja bug (got for free, original 1500 sp)
1972 VW sandrail (1835 gettin it done)
ORIGINAL 1967 Meyers Manx dune buggy (needs to be redone)
1973 VW Bug
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you certainly don't stuff about.

It's funny seeing all the different ways that dealerships cut the holes for A/C in 1303 supers

The one mine came out of looked like someone cut it with their fingernails
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you sure can.

I paid a thousand bucks for it. And while I don't think I got hosed, it wasn't the greatest deal either. The car did come with a bunch of miscellaneous stuff: a new wiring harness, half pans (which I considered useless and traded to a buddy of mine), the Bently and Hayes manual... and an education on how not to buy cars Very Happy

But.. that price also doesn't include the cost of the trailer tire I shredded on the Thruway. Oops.

And Joel, I'll take that as a compliment, thanks!! I have to say, I think they gave a six year old the sawzall to cut out the A/C hole thru the windshield wiper access panel. It's downright dangerously jagged!

I should tell everyone that I've had to do almost all the work in the driveway (don't really have much of a garage), and as a result tried to take advantage of the good weather (it IS Buffalo). So.... I've got a small backlog of fotos to post. And since it's rained nonstop for the past WEEK!!

now must be the time.
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'm curious...

what's people's opinion on the racing stripes???
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sent you a PM

My ac hole is also hacked behind the dash but they were kind enough to but seam welting on it to protect the innocent (my evaporator unit is no longer there)

Racing stripes.......well if it were an MG maybe but the bug? hmmmmm

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you don't mess around. Take it from experience. Don't pull off anything you don't have to, take lots of pictures before you pull stuff off, label everything you pull off and don't throw anything away until you are done.

Nepenthe88 wrote:
And I'm curious...

what's people's opinion on the racing stripes???

I like the stripes, but I'm weird like that. I'm thinking about a single stripe on my buggy.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I have the same car. Check out my rebuild thread in the signature to see what your car looks like fully naked.
As long as your car is in solid shape (especially the heater channels) you don't have to worry about it "folding in half". I had mine up on a similar apparatus for 4 or 5 months with no doors and nothing bad happened. Of course, mine was a California car with almost zero rust.
Also, I think your front grill is aftemarket already. If I'm remembering right, factory front grills that had AC slots had three different sized slots, biggest ones being on the outside and smallest ones on the inside. Not 100% on this, though.
Very nice car.
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@q-dog-- well, I've taken half your advice. All the parts and pieces are in little chinese food tupperware bowls, neatly labled. But. I've taken almost everything apart, whether it needed to or not. I figured that was the only way to know how to break it properly Very Happy

@Vinnems-- Nice car! For some reason I'm partial to 74 supers..?! But I'm still gonna worry about it folding in half. Poor red racing stripe beetle lived most its life driving thru the snow, on salt covered roads. And it shows!

And you're right about the front apron. It is an aftermarket piece. But. Oh well. C'est la vie. It's a daily driving super, not a split... so I'm not very interested in bringing it back to stock. In fact, I have a wish list of some not so stock mods:

--removable rear apron
--a wide assortment of Gauges!!
--disk breaks all 'round
--no rear seats for storage (and maybe a modern seat swap)
--topline front suspension upgrades
--Racing stripes Very Happy
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, and rear pop outs!!
blakiexcharles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck, These cars have given me a great base as an automotive tech. expect the unexpected.
facebook : www.facebook.com/blake.fogt
[quote="Skim"]Damn, thats crazy. You exist because of V-dubs. Thats the shit Cool[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a great base for a project. You are getting a lot of things done on it quickly and it looks good. Racing stripes can look good on a Super, just not those ones, they are way too wide.

What are your plans for bumpers? You will have to look through the wreckers or the classifieds for the bumper struts for '74+ as they are NLA.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha, if anything I would make the stripes a wee bit wider in the front!

We'll see. Some days I love them. Other days I'm unsure to keep them.
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I called around and found a junkyard that would let me frolic about unsupervised and search for beetles!!! So, I slid my safari hat in place and…

found a sad specimen. It’s a convertible, and I see struts, so it’s a super. But, the dash is different than my ’74 so it has to be an early model super?

There was a cute yellow one too. But, I think she got sat on a little bit– damned crazy fat kids!

And then there was this black one… but, I thought they didn’t ship black beetles to the states? Anyway, it’s a standard and has a smaller-ish rear windshield (I think, the weeds were really thick there), but isn’t an oval. Can anyone say Candidate Baja!?

There were also a couple old busses. One of them even has an engine! I figure I’ll keep it’s location secret until I need a core for my Jake Raby engine (haha, keep dreaming!!).

Interesting observation… all the beetles I found were sans engine. Obviously those had been picked long ago by industrious aircooled scavengers. BUT… there were a pair of Ghia’s, and both of them still had engines. All I’m saying is that you need to keep your eyes open. Or something.

and my personal favorite… It looks like some chopped-top roadster with an awesome faux paint job! My only question:

what could do that to the roof???

Oh, and if you’re curious, I didn’t come away empty handed. That cute yellow beetle donated a rear bump stop…. and it’s SOUL!!!

hahaha (evil cackle)!!!

Next step… Scrub It, Sand It, make it pretty!
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrub it with bubbles! Make it pretty…

Quite a difference eh? All it took was hot water, soap, a soft plastic scrubby and greasy elbows.

Now… remember all those cleansers and cleaners housed in the cabinets of our domesticated households. Ever read the warning that goes something like, “test in Inconspicuous location in case of discoloration”. Well… I don’t think the po saw that. Take a look at the left edge of the still-grubby seat (drivers). I think he used bleach straight out the bottle!!! Though– to his credit– the front edge of the seat IS inconspicuous… if you’re driving from the back seat!! ugh…

That, in addition to the red rag he shoved in the hole of the seat bottom set me on a small adventure to the local auto upholsterer.

who wanted five hundred dollars to fix them! Holy I don’t think so… Thankfully he had another option. Turns out he has a Super Beetle out back, and it might have seats!

Honestly?

I kinda wish it had been a split so I could have punched him in the teeth… I walked all around it and– other than not having floor pans, and him slicing the fenders in half– the poor bug was in great shape!

Apparently he sawzall’d her in half so that he could display the front of it in his local megachurch. It has since been painted rattle can orange, and… um… is displayed as if it was driving thru the wall behind the altar– I sh*t you not.

I will suppress my opinion, but only cause he bribed me with all that glass, the gas tank, and agreed to trade me my cracked metal license plate dome thingy, for his NOT-cracked plastic license plate dome thingy.

which means I salvaged its SOUL in the process! And have since added it to my collection….
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nepenthe88 wrote:
I have a wish list of some not so stock mods:

--removable rear apron
--a wide assortment of Gauges!!
--disk breaks all 'round
--topline front suspension upgrades

Those are all mods I've made to mine amongst others and they have all been so worth it

I wish i'd made the apron removable 10 years ago, engine work and removal is so much easier.
I've got a vid in my youtube channel it took me 3 and half minutes to get the engine from running in the car to sitting on the ground Laughing

I have thought about blue racing stripes on mine but prefer a more sedate look

That last bug at the junk yard just looks like a pole or tree has fallen on it
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel... i bought a pair of heated, black leather seats out of a BMW m3 yesterday, so... throwing that in the mix, are there any other mods you've done that I might want to think about???

and as far as the blue racing stripes go... i understand completely! I want to keep mine cause i think it's unique (i haven't seen any beetles with similar stripes), but then again, it IS loud! and somedays it's too loud for my tastes...
williamblanda
Don't Disgrace The Eddy!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool project! I'm over at UB, if you ever need some help give me a holler.
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all... Since I got moved from the "Late Model, Super Beetle" section to the "Reader's Rides" section, I thought I would change the name of the post to make it a bit more identifiable.

Hope I didn't lose anyone! I appreciate everyone's comments!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 32

Jump to: