Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Repro Mag Supercharger
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Speedsterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Repro Mag Supercharger Reply with quote

Has anyone on here bought Almar's complete $6K reproduction? I just want to buy a Ghia inlet manifold elbow off him but I just firstly want to know whether there are any fitment issues etc..or just have one locally made. Still waiting for a reply from him for weeks now.. Confused
Speedsterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, 225 views and not one reply..guess it makes original Mags even rarer since no one's interested in running repro crap Twisted Evil
Ojai63dbl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's selling A REPO KIT?

WHATS THE LINK TO THE SITE?
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1956 Karmann Ghia 144 wrote:
Wow, 225 views and not one reply..guess it makes original Mags even rarer since no one's interested in running repro crap Twisted Evil

What makes you think Alejandro is making a crap repro...why would you be interested in buying his parts for your kit if you've already decided on the quality. Confused

Alejandro doesn't make a repro MAG Kit. He has a couple for sale...they are original but like a lot of ultra rare kits some arrive with missing parts and he has to make those.

If you want to question someone about Alejandro's MAG parts search here for a Belgian guy who is running a MAG on his Karmann Ghia and send him a PM...Alejandro helped him with his.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by John Moxon on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:14 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Speedsterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry John but this is what he told me, a complete repro for 6K. One of the elbows I received on my original Mag is a repro from Alejandro..quite obvious compared to the other parts. I know what is original as I have had two sets in my possessionn. I actually wanted to buy the 'ghia elbow' from Alejandro and just want to confirm the quality before my order. One of the current reproduction elbow from him is out 5mm!
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1956 Karmann Ghia 144 wrote:
Sorry John but this is what he told me, a complete repro for 6K. One of the elbows I received on my original Mag is a repro from Alejandro..quite obvious compared to the other parts. I know what is original as I have had two sets in my possessionn. I actually wanted to buy the 'ghia elbow' from Alejandro and just want to confirm the quality before my order. One of the current reproduction elbow from him is out 5mm!

The MAG kits I've seen from Alejandro have been based on original Compressor bodies so they can't be considered complete repro kits. I've not looked closely enough to pass judgement on them or to tell how much of the elbows, linkages, oilers etc are MAG originals.

I do know Alejandro borrowed original MAG parts from the late David Mayes to fabricate repro elbows and linkages etc several years ago so it seems odd that they won't fit. Confused
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Speedsterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You tell me..repro elbow on the right for beetle application...the casting is pitted, lacks definition, and doesn't fit, hence the word=crap. Unfortunately he won't respond to my inquiries which is disappointing Confused
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Shorrock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The repro casting was made off an old part not an original master hence the lack of definition and perhaps fitment. The pitting is a casting issue which is probably due to begging to have a casting house run a few dozen parts off at a loss. I have maybe a dozen Shorrock kits in my shop attic and I can tell you that some pieces are better quality than others as well. These are 50 year old parts produced in very limited numbers with old world craftsmanship, just like my Ghia handmade body, no two are exactly alike. Alejandro is providing a service out of spirit not a money making enterprise so cut him some slack. Instead of ordering from him try to make your own and see how much time, effort and money it takes. I can tell you that making what he provided work, if not perfect, would be 10 time less than making it from scratch. I do this constantly with almost all the VW parts I get no matter where they come from. I had a nightmare with a recent 4 wheel disc install with brand new parts! It is just part of the VW hobby. I have often considered selling my 64 and all my parts due to what at times seems like enormous amounts of frustration. Your choice….
Shorrock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what a little fabrication will get you:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Speedsterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful engine Shocked ...I agree with you re: alejandro and cutting him some slack...I have decided to have the part fabricated locally. Cheers. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: