Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Vanagon Diesel owner questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackDogVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vintagemotion, you'll be just fine as long as you DONT plumb your oil return like this!

edit - since the turbo is flipped its not as bad as stock return routing...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by BlackDogVan on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
vintagemotion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Vanagon M-TDI conversion Oil pump question Reply with quote

My general question about the oil pump was answered before and I was under the impression that the whole oil pump must be changed for the Vangon conversion.

After I disassembled my 98 AHU TDI motor I discovered that the pump appears to be essentially the same except the top. Here my additional questions:

1. It looks like I could use the original TDI oil pump by utilizing the top with suction extension / bypass valve from the 1.6D Vanagon pump. Is there any reason why this would not work?
2. Does anyone make different suction extension for the TDI pump that adapt after the bypass valve?
3.Any other recommendation regarding the oil pump.
CLK Wheels 215/70/16
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackDogVan wrote:
Vintagemotion, you'll be just fine as long as you DONT plumb your oil return like this!

Not really too bad, as it is going downhill and above the oil fill line. However, the fitting at the block would have been better a 45. FWIW, all of mine use the original banjo fitting there - I just remove the old hose and replace with the SS braided hose commonly used in dry sump systems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon M-TDI conversion Oil pump question Reply with quote

vintagemotion wrote:
My general question about the oil pump was answered before and I was under the impression that the whole oil pump must be changed for the Vangon conversion.

After I disassembled my 98 AHU TDI motor I discovered that the pump appears to be essentially the same except the top. Here my additional questions:

1. It looks like I could use the original TDI oil pump by utilizing the top with suction extension / bypass valve from the 1.6D Vanagon pump. Is there any reason why this would not work?
2. Does anyone make different suction extension for the TDI pump that adapt after the bypass valve?
3.Any other recommendation regarding the oil pump.

Unless the engine is super-low miles, I would recommend buying a diesel Vanagon oil pump, new, from Bus Depot or whoever has em. If the engine is low miles, you can cut and modify the oil pickup tube to imitate the original diesel van configuration. I do this by first installing an old diesel van pump pickup and making a template/jig to show where the modified tube needs to go, exactly. A little accuracy and perfect welds and this method is fine. I would not recommend re-using an old diesel van pickup section, as many have shrapnel embedded in the pressure relief valve from past blowups. Been there, not worth the hassle when new pumps are just over $100, or modding the newer one with larger relief valve is easy. But the new pump is the 'best' way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vintagemotion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know the difference between the original 1.6 Diesel oil pump and the 1.6 TD oil pump.

Does anyone have the OEM part numbers for the D and TD pump?
CLK Wheels 215/70/16
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked ETKA for a 84 Jetta. It looks like the pump number is the same for the 1.6 NA and the 1.6 TD. OE 068 115 105 AN. ETKA is not always correct.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gears were bigger in the TD pumps because the turbo uses some of the oil supply. Replacement pumps may all be the bigger gears now, so the same new type replacement pump can work for both. The ETKA only shows current replacement part numbers, not what originally came installed. Just because the same part number is now being shown for 2 different engines doesn't mean they used the same part back then so reverse logic can't be applied.

Mark

vintagemotion wrote:
Does anyone know the difference between the original 1.6 Diesel oil pump and the 1.6 TD oil pump.

Does anyone have the OEM part numbers for the D and TD pump?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The gears were bigger in the TD pumps because the turbo uses some of the oil supply.

All of the solid lifter 1.6TD engines installed in anything other than vanagons were fitted with 30mm pumps as were a couple of years of the 1.6TD hydraulic engines before they switched to the 36mm pumps somewhere around '88. I do not know if the original 1.6TD vanagon oil pumps were 30 or 36mm. It is true that all the replacement 1.6TD vanagon pumps are 36mm.
fairweather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that this could be better, if I had thought about it I would had drilled/tapped a new hole at a 45* angle next to the original. It does have about 4" of head as it is and goes from a -AN4 supply to -AN10 drain.

Quote:
the original banjo fitting there

I am going to change it to this^^

BlackDogVan wrote:

edit - since the turbo is flipped its not as bad as stock return routing...

[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vintagemotion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Finally the TDI is up and running in my Vanagon. Reply with quote

Last weekend I installed the motor and got it running (not driving yet) with a JX pump / no turbo for now until I find my final M-TDI pump.

All in all the TDI conversion was relatively easy with the help from this forum. – Thanks

Next steps:
- Find rear section of shifter rod and fabricate shifter linkage for my 5 speed (ASS)
- Test drive Smile
- fabricate gas routing for turbo / intake
- Figure out how to manipulate the glow plug relay to shorten glow time
CLK Wheels 215/70/16
Aaron
Samba Luddite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any updates?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vintagemotion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron wrote:
any updates?

The Vanagon is up and driving without turbo and on a JX pump (1.1mm pump stroke at TDC) The (T)DI has enough power to bring the Westy up to 70MPH in 5th gear and 215/70/16 tires.
Slowwwwww acceleration !!

For the shift linkage I actually ended up using the front half of the 4speed and back half of the 5 speed and fabricated a connection. Works great.

The Vanagons were made with Turbo Diesels for Europe and a found all stock Turbo parts, hardware (JX). I may go this route instead of custom made parts. Not sure yet.
I will have to get or build an M-TDI pump.
CLK Wheels 215/70/16
vintagemotion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: 33 MPG with trailer Reply with quote

Last weekend I pulled my race bike (BMW R75/5) with tools and spare parts from Atlanta to the Barber Race track. This was a 300 mile round trip. I was surprised when I filled up with less than 10 Gallons!! The hills were tuff without the Turbo but all in all it worked out well. So far I'm happy with the conversion. Going past 65 MPH creates an unpleasant resonance that is pretty loud.
CLK Wheels 215/70/16

Last edited by vintagemotion on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
turbovans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New at this on theSamba..
if this is going to the right guy ..

Not practical to try to turbo a NA 1.6. Engine is too delicate for that.
1.6 TD block is much better,
and I have one for sale..
a running one actually. Don't know if it's been bored out or not ..
probobly should be rebuilt. Located in Southern Oregon.

the internals are not the same, NA to TD.
TD engine has stronger rods and wrist pins, and piston oil squirtes.
The one I have is a non-hydraulic lifter block.

I also have a 1.9 NA brand new head for sale. Trying to find time to post that ad , lol.
You want to move up from the stock engine if you can. The easy way to improve the desperately low stock 82 diesel vanagon gearing is to put in a DK code trans from an air-cooled Vanagon ...nice bolt-in and works decently .....you can cruise at 65 nicely with that gear box.

1.9 engines are better ..but harder to find and cost more.
a good 1.6 TD isn't 'too bad.'
Scott
www.turbovans.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm real sorry I read this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vintagemotion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The conversion was done with an AHU TDI using a JX pump and no Turbo (for now)

turbovans wrote:
New at this on theSamba..
if this is going to the right guy ..

Not practical to try to turbo a NA 1.6. Engine is too delicate for that.
1.6 TD block is much better,
and I have one for sale..
a running one actually. Don't know if it's been bored out or not ..
probobly should be rebuilt. Located in Southern Oregon.

the internals are not the same, NA to TD.
TD engine has stronger rods and wrist pins, and piston oil squirtes.
The one I have is a non-hydraulic lifter block.

I also have a 1.9 NA brand new head for sale. Trying to find time to post that ad , lol.
You want to move up from the stock engine if you can. The easy way to improve the desperately low stock 82 diesel vanagon gearing is to put in a DK code trans from an air-cooled Vanagon ...nice bolt-in and works decently .....you can cruise at 65 nicely with that gear box.

1.9 engines are better ..but harder to find and cost more.
a good 1.6 TD isn't 'too bad.'
Scott
www.turbovans.com

CLK Wheels 215/70/16
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: