Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Prefered years
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noganav wrote:

1) Only buy 86 and up, because GoWesty says so.
2) I like my year the best
3) I like your year best too, because my van is your year.
4) About 10 posts in somebody says Aircooled campers are better than anybody thinks.

Well that seems to be the case here.

My advice would be to not get too hung up on model year and look for the very best your money can buy.

I'd take a nice early model over a tired 89 anytime, and vice versa.

Good luck.
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOT/NHSTA (federal standards) basically outlawed the cab forward design of Vanagons, and most Japanese minivans of the time for model year 1992. The configuration was and is still allowed on heavy truck (Iveco,Izusu...box trucks), just not anything classified as a passenger or light duty truck.

If VW was willing to stick with the WBX all the way from '83 to '91, I dont think that 1992 would have been the magic year that caused them to suddenly realize that it was a bad engine, and design a totally new vehicle with the Eurovan. If the WBX was really the problem they could have easily stuffed an I4 (like a diesel or Tiico) or an Audi 5cyl (like they did in the South African market) or even the Otteniger designed WBX6 back there.

It was just federal regulations, coupled that FWD minivans (and MPV's) were now (by the early 90's) considered the norm in both the US and Europe.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
Crofty you switchin teams? Laughing
Check gowesty's website there is an article that breaks down the years fairly well. They are a little slighted towards the later years, for good reason. Syncro westy is the only reason worth owning a vanagon imo. Hey ill trade mine for your split westy Very Happy

I did see their links, thanks for staying on topic.

Ha! My split Westy's aren't going anywhere but i'm pondering letting my truck go. My neighbor just picked up a nice 1 owner 90 with a/c. Oh, I priced synchro's, LMFAO that ain't gonna happen! If I were to drop over 20k on a 20 plus year old vw it better have two windshields!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noganav wrote:
Call me a Samba addict, but If any topic deserves a "use the search" it's this one.

This topic comes up twice a week and every one of the topics follows exactly the same trajectory... (though admittedly this one did take an interesting turn into production numbers and options)

1) Only buy 86 and up, because GoWesty says so.
2) I like my year the best
3) I like your year best too, because my van is your year.
4) About 10 posts in somebody says Aircooled campers are better than anybody thinks.

Sometimes a little engine conversion squabble:
Pro: Waterboxers aren't so bad if you treat them nice.
Con: Why should I have to treat them nice when I could beat my bostig like a rented mazda?

Once that's done, it's time for the next person to start a new thread on which year is best. See you all here next week, same place, different thread.

P.S. If you're not in the market for a syncro or a suby, then the Aircooled campers are the best because they keeps it real. Yup, I said it.

Wink

Post links to like topics please, I didn't see any.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
If I were to drop over 20k on a 20 plus year old vw it better have two windshields!

THAT is beautiful!

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: