Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Winches and leave your wifes out of it
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cold Steel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Winches and leave your wifes out of it Reply with quote

I am trying to figure out how much winch I need for my Syncro. I was thinking 8000lbs. The prices vary so wildly I am not sure which one would be best. I dont want to be harbor freighten it at 3 am in the wild with the made in china in my hand. Evil or Very Mad
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the GRIPHOIST a TIRFOR style winch that GOWESTY really has a GREAT price on.. I mean you can't touch their price even on used units on Ebay. I don't know how or where they made the arrangement with ARB for the Magnum handwinch but these are NO COME_ALONG.. they are a true winch, rated for horizontal & verticle loads.
few electric winchs would allow verticle loads in the safety manual/liability instructions.
a BIG plus of the Griphoist style winch is in extraction of a vehicle down a gully or DEEP in a mud hole. you can stand and operate by the anchor point..

there was a great image laden review just a few weeks ago.. I'll search for it.. HERE IT IS-- GRIPHOIST RECOVERY

the griphoist stows under my back bench, it's flat enough that I don't mind the loss of space, and made a false floor to go ontop of it.

like I mentioned in the other thread I have & use regularly a 3/4 ton unit, and it has been VERY satisfactory.. the 5ton is overkill but well that's not bad in recovery gear..

I rate the hilift about as stable as the oem vanagon jack.. I'll use it but on flat ground and with NOONE else nearby.. treat it like a jack with a 4yr old around.. always aware & cautious.

Best

Dan in NY
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
euromog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All electric winches are made in China these days. I would say 8000lb would be the minimum. Word from people who sell winches on a daily basis is that the Superwinch brand holds up the best. Hard part on a Syncro is mounting in a way that is strong enough.
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

euromog wrote:
Hard part on a Syncro is mounting in a way that is strong enough.

and what is the best way to mount a winch?
dcdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at very least it should be tied in to the bumper mounts at the frame imagine where you would put the hooks to winch it up a flatbed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it should be tied in to the bumper mounts at the frame imagine where you would put the hooks to winch it up a flatbed

We don't have that on the front of a vanagon. If you wanted to get to the frame rails you would have to burn a hole through the front deformation panel to get to it. Something custom for sure but not a easily bolted on deal.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary Lee makes a vanagon bolt on winch mount..
His racks and such get great reviews. I'm sure his quality and engineering carry thru.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gary2a/rack/winch/winch.htm
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am aware of gary's offering for a winch mount and I am sure that it is adequate.
If I decided that I had the need for a winch I would do some surgery to ensure a super stout attachment point myself.
dcdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Quote:
it should be tied in to the bumper mounts at the frame imagine where you would put the hooks to winch it up a flatbed

We don't have that on the front of a vanagon. If you wanted to get to the frame rails you would have to burn a hole through the front deformation panel to get to it. Something custom for sure but not a easily bolted on deal.

something custom was the point i was trying to make.... i would agree not an easy bolt on affair. what do you call the part of your van the bumper brackets bolt to?
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
I am aware of gary's offering for a winch mount and I am sure that it is adequate.
If I decided that I had the need for a winch I would do some surgery to ensure a super stout attachment point myself.
It is pretty dam stout.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JoeVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all winches are made in China. Warn winches are still made right here in Clackamas, Oregon. I'm a little biased because I used to work for them designing winches. But just like everything else, you get what you pay for. The patented brake inside the Warn winches is the best in the business by far, and nobody else can touch the performance. Plus, you can send your winch into the service department if you need it rebuilt. Try that with a Harbor Freight winch. For a fully loaded syncro, I would go with a 9000 lb. winch. It may seem like overkill, but its not. You want at least 1.5 times the fully weighted vehicle, but more is better, and the 9k winches don't weigh more or cost that much more than the 8k winches. But everybody is right, mounting is key. Its got to be solid or it will bend the mount or rip itself off. If a winch is your last resort between walking home and driving home, think of it as cheap insurance.

Joe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what do you call the part of your van the bumper brackets bolt to?

Officially it is called the deformation element but I just call it a deformation panel. I wasn't trying to say that you are wrong just simply add to your statement.
If I needed a winch I would burn a hole through it and attach to the frame rails that run the length of the car in a parallel line to the pull of the winch rather than the deformation panel that is perpendicular to the pull.
Dimitrios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warn 8274-50 is an excellent choice but hard to install and need cutting in the grille,Otherwise the 9.5xp is compact design and it does have a 6hp motor...Also has the fastest speed in pulling in load...
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Quote:
what do you call the part of your van the bumper brackets bolt to?

Officially it is called the deformation element but I just call it a deformation panel. I wasn't trying to say that you are wrong just simply add to your statement.
If I needed a winch I would burn a hole through it and attach to the frame rails that run the length of the car in a parallel line to the pull of the winch rather than the deformation panel that is perpendicular to the pull.

When you need a winch it is already to late.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

A tow strap to my back bumper works great. It is a large piece of C-channel and is very stout. Smile
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Quote:

A tow strap to my back bumper works great. It is a large piece of C-channel and is very stout. Smile
How will that work if you are the only one there?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How will that work if you are the only one there?
If there is nobody there I go old school and break out the shovel, highlift or maxtrax as needed. Not pretty but it gets the job done. Wink
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody has no sense of humor...
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henning has made a copy of the Jagdwagen winch carrier for the older style steel bumpers.

http://www.syncro-services.com/index_modi_eng.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just a regular guy
Vango Conversions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a receiver hitch on your rear bumper you can mount the winch to that. It would be simpler to mount that way and it would be easily removable.

Most Jeeps and trucks have the winch mounted on the front bumper which is great if you REALLY want to winch yourself through a swamp or over a cliff, but if your main purpose for having a winch is to pull yourself out after getting stuck, the rear is a great place to have the winch.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: