Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vanagon seals / wind noise
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: vanagon seals / wind noise Reply with quote

i am brand new to this lovely site; i'm so grateful it exists! i just bought a 1987 vanagon wolfsburg (not pop-top). i am thoroughly loving her. i had an '85 years ago and have regretted the day i sold it since.

i have heaps of questions... but will focus on one, for now.

i'm sure this has been discussed at some point although when i searched i couldn't find much.

i'm wondering if anyone has taken the time, energy, money to replace any or all window and/or door seals on your vanagon. i don't need this thing to be perfect (a wish...) but i'd love to cut down on some of the wind noise coming in from what seems like the doors. i see someone had replaced the rubber door seal but it's clearly not for this particular van.

i guess my question is, have you done it and if so, was it worth it? did you do all seals or just start with certain ones? i'm considering starting just with the door seals, then moving on, if it's worth it. also, my windshield is cracked and the seal around it looks like it's from the year it was born. will replacing the windshield and getting a new seal help?

thank you for any suggestions, advice... ideas.
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilcommen mein her! welcome to the site! I recently bought the front door glass seals, but I havent installed them yet--waiting on paint
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VwMomofthree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: All done Reply with quote

I have the same van-1988 Wolfsburg Weekender-Non-poptop. I have replaced all window and door seals, I have also put sound deadening in the doors, engine deck lid, and plan on doing floor when the new carpet goes in. The things I did above where done all at the same time and so I can't say that any one thing made the difference. I can say it drives like a new car and the doors have to be slammed in order to get the doors closed because of the seals. The answer to your question: yes it is so worth it, I can now hear everybody talk in the car.
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely as many as you can. They all need to be replaced. I just found a small spot of rust under the front window seal of my use to be rust free van. The seal had never been changed and I wish now I had replaced the window seal right away. They do not last forever so better to replace before they start to fail and cause real damage(rust).
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thummmper wrote:
wilcommen mein her!

Thummper,

Looks like your translator slightly failed you.

It's Willkommen Mein Herr (welcome my mister) not [wilcommen my ago]

Gary
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok.... i'll slowly start replacing all of the seals.

thanks for the responses and thanks for the welcome, thumper.
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replacing the seals would be true of any old vehicle a figure windows seals probably need to be replaced at the max every 20 years. I am in the same boat. I need to go ahead and replace the side windows and the rear window in the next year as well before they fail and allow rust to start.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: vanagon seals / wind noise Reply with quote

lukars wrote:

thank you for any suggestions, advice... ideas.

You have two goals.
1. Noise reduction.
2. Inhibit rust and minimize/eliminate leaks

If #1 is your primary goal, then replace the window felt in the front doors.
And replace the rubber gasket around the door. That will cut the worst of the wind whistling noise and bring an immediate smile to your face.
On later vans there's additional rubber.. You'll find more on that if you search a bit or visit the vendor sites.
(gaskets and window felt can be had from most of the regular sources.. Van Cafe, GowWesty, Bus Depot, etc.

If #2 is an additional goal of yours, then go after the window seals too.
Those can also be had from the usual source. Replacement is a bit more involved.

FWIW.. The front door window felt and the door gaskets were the best bang for buck in cutting wind noise in my van. From there I m now going after rust potential and the remaining noise.
Tip of the iceberg... and lesser return on effort.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have replaced all of the door/hatch seals and of course the front window seal when replacing the front window. I have also replaced the front window seals and the felt channel seal of the side sliders.

The difference is pretty big with the front doors, you definitely notice it and the van stays warmer too. Not to mention the doors don't rattle as much over big bumps etc..it's well spent money.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B/C I'm cheap, I added thin high-quality rubber weatherstripping to the existing front door seals: 2pkgs, $5.99 ea.

This is 5/64" thick x 1/4" wide self-stick, hdwe store stuff. Obvious benefits as mentioned above & if it lasts a few years I'm happy. Gotta save the big bucks for actual mechanical work - I promise I'll do it right after the kids are out of college.

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
grambo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: window felt channels Reply with quote

Wie gesagt, Herzlich Willkommen zum Samba!!! And congratulations on your recent purchase.

Like j_dirge, I also had great success in reducing wind noise by replacing the upper window felt channels of the front doors. At first I thought it was a faulty door seal, but while driving around I very carefully pushed on the inside portion of the window felt channel and pinpointed that as the cause of the noise. They can usually be had for ~$30 at many vendors. And of course the fine folks here at Samba even provided simple install instructions: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=357906&highlight=felt+channel
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovely... thanks for all this. i will definitely start with the felties.

what about a new windshield? mine is old and cracked (the crack doesn't obstruct my view). what i'm more curious about is the seal around it, it's definitely old and deteriorating. but, a new windshield plus the seal, isn't cheap. however, if this cuts down on some noise then i may splurge. (my mechanic said it probably won't make a difference but wanted to see what you all thought).

ps: i'm totally in love and obsessed with my new van (her name is esther). i'll take some pics when it's not raining here (never).
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lukars wrote:
lovely... thanks for all this. i will definitely start with the felties.

what about a new windshield? mine is old and cracked (the crack doesn't obstruct my view). what i'm more curious about is the seal around it, it's definitely old and deteriorating. but, a new windshield plus the seal, isn't cheap. however, if this cuts down on some noise then i may splurge. (my mechanic said it probably won't make a difference but wanted to see what you all thought).

ps: i'm totally in love and obsessed with my new van (her name is esther). i'll take some pics when it's not raining here (never).

Any chance your insurance company will spring for a windshield ..the glass installer would also install a new seal as well.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lukars - Welcome to vanmania. If you need mechanical parts, check out Halsey Automotive in NE Portland. You can get almost anything there and they have some of the best prices in the country. I found it was definitely worth it to replace all the window channel felt and scrapers on the inside and outside. It seems spendy, but it will definitely cut down on wind noise. It's the best bang for the buck I've found. I think Van-Cafe has a good price on all of it this month in their specials. Order today!
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_343_1323/partial_front_door_glass_weatherstrip_kit.html
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your particular post and link, PDXWesty. I'm about due for some of these myself.

Bob
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, PDXWesty; halsey automotive is where i take my van... and get parts from imports next door. i feel lucky they're located in our home city.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: