Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Towbar Q
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrakeB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Towbar Q Reply with quote

Hi.
Is there any major difference between the designs of a tow bar that is used for the Beetle vs. the one used on a Ghia?

I have searched the topics in the Ghia category, but have found nothing that would satisfy my question. I know that search functions for phpBB based forums such as what is used as the underpinning for The Samba can be a little squirrelly at times as I have ran several forums based on phpBB myself. I may have typed the typed the wrong search string in myself for what i was looking for.

Sorry for my rant...

How is it 'NOS' if it has been modified?

The Thread Killer.
retrowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, those tailored for a Karmann Ghia are longer (e.g., have a greater distance from the tow ball to the torsion bar mounts) as the KG has more overhang than a Beetle. The beetle unit can be used, but sharp turns will result in damage to the headlight regions of the KG. Don't ask how we know this...
DrakeB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrowagen wrote:
Don't ask how we know this...

Thanks.

Ah, I know what you mean. This is sort of like the "Any moron can learn from his own mistakes, but a smart man learns from somebody else." Thanks for the assistance as that answers my question.

How is it 'NOS' if it has been modified?

The Thread Killer.
retrowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I learned from a good friend, who munched up one corner of his '59 Coupe while backing it, using my Beetle tow bar. That's the other important detail: avoid backing a car on a tow bar. It's about as safe as sleeping with a prostitute in Bangkok.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Covered in the following: Karmann Ghia – Essential Guides for Beginners & Experts.

And for all threads that discuss towbars, http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search_keywords=Towbar&search_forum=7
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best bet is to buy a standard bug bar. Saw it in half, and weld some pipe with an ID the size of the OD of the towbar. Don't completely weld the two halves back together, just one end of your new piece of pipe. Use pins to fasten the two halves together. This way you can collapse the bar down for storage and transportation.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, don't go cutting and pasting and then hoping that your welds are good and that the Ghia will ALWAYS be behind you.

If you have a receiver hitch just get an extender. Available for 2 in as well as the smaller 1 1/4" ones.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is no tongue weight so don't worry about that. The only possible minus is that the pivot point is extended away from the rear wheels a foot. Not a problems in 99 % percent of turns. Be aware of it and drive accordingly.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kimbill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A year ago we researched towing a ‘71 Ghia AS 1600 mi. We thought we had it solved, and bought an Empi tow bar. The dealer said it would work on a Ghia provided the hitch of the tow vehicle was not too high -- no SUVs or PUs, otherwise, the bar would hit the Ghia bumper….. But, when hooked to a Lexus ES, the bar was less than ˝” from the bumper -- dips and ramps would cause damage for sure….. A hitch-shop added about 18” to each leg under the car to bring it further out in front of the bumper before bending upward. (Adding length at the coupler end helps the “turning“ issue only, but not the bumper-clearance problem). Towed 1600 mi w/o problems……. That’s our experience.

Bill
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimbill wrote:
A year ago we researched towing a ‘71 Ghia AS 1600 mi. We thought we had it solved, and bought an Empi tow bar. The dealer said it would work on a Ghia provided the hitch of the tow vehicle was not too high -- no SUVs or PUs, otherwise, the bar would hit the Ghia bumper….. But, when hooked to a Lexus ES, the bar was less than ˝” from the bumper -- dips and ramps would cause damage for sure….. A hitch-shop added about 18” to each leg under the car to bring it further out in front of the bumper before bending upward. (Adding length at the coupler end helps the “turning“ issue only, but not the bumper-clearance problem). Towed 1600 mi w/o problems……. That’s our experience.

Bill

Just get one of these, easy, cheap, effective!! Large selection of drops or (flip the over).... raisers.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shaggir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just towed my 58' 700 miles behind my Ford Expedition using an 18" receiver extension with a drop hitch and a standard beetle tow bar. Did an average of 75mph for the whole trip with no problems Very Happy
kimbill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]....Just get one of these, easy, cheap, effective!! Large selection of drops or (flip the over).... raisers.

Dave[/quote]

We couldn't use a "drop" hitch, the undercar-tubes were already parallel to the ground. The bar scraped a few times going into parking lots, service stations, and other challenges. Towing for four days, and 1600 mi, exposes one to more obsticals..... This proved an AS can be towed.... So far it still functions .... Laughing

Bill
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: