Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replaced a bad starter now van won't fire but turns over.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Replaced a bad starter now van won't fire but turns over. Reply with quote

Ok came up to Northern California yesterday. My van drove and ran pretty good but this is what went down. Got to Salinas and got snacks. Stopped for about 30 minutes. Started the van and I could feel and here a humming sound when I was holding the shifter. But I went ahead and drove it. About 5 minutes after being on the freeway the van died for about 5 seconds and then started back up. I didn't stop to look at it. About 150 miles later it completely died for about 30 seconds. I was on the shoulder coasting and popped the clutch and it started. Drove about another 40 miles to Sacramento and got gas. The van wouldn't even turn over. Push started it and it started. Drove about 40 more miles to Marysville. Removed the starter this morning and got a new one. Installed the new one and now the van turns over but won't fire. All the grounds are clean and I already did the ingnition switch.
What else am I missing? The van ran fine before I turned it off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
87vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you reconnected all the wires on the starter, I changed my starter an somehow forgot to reconnect the wire to the alternator and the van would turn over all day long but not fire. Took me a few minutes to realize what I did or didn't do. Good luck
BCWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did you replace the starter? If it was dying on the hi-way I don't think that would be starter related. Sounds like maybe a charging problem.
RadioRental
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you happen to charge the battery or put it on a tender between taking out the old battery and putting in the new one.

It all sounds like a charging issue, a dodgy starter wont cause you to cut out on the highway, except that it turned over with the new starter.

The humming noise is key I think. Any more details on that that you can think of?

'87 2.1. 125K 4spd Not rebuilt "Red Dwarf"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called VC and they told me probably what happened was the bendix in the starter didn't disengage so it was a starter problem. When I pulled it the teeth were tore up bad. It looks like the original starter. I am charging the battery right now because I drained it trying to start it. I am hoping it will fire after this. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok charged the battery and my van started this morning with no problems. Made the 300 mile drive home with no issues. I think the reason my van died on the freeway a few days ago is the starter was engaging when I was driving robbing the the power from the motor. There was no strange noises when driving though. The starter was hotter than hell when I got to my destination on Sunday. The new starter wasn't hot at all when I got home tonight. I don't know if someone has ever had this happen that is why I wanted to let everyone know the outcome.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you suspect that the bendix is hung up again while driving....
tap the starter body with a hammer to see if you can get it to disengage.
This is caused by the insulation bunching up inside the motor or a worn starter bushing grabbing.
I have not had great luck with rebuilt starters in the past 2 years.

dylan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: