Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1972 Thing........ here in ca?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VTAthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: 1972 Thing........ here in ca? Reply with quote

Helllo, new thng owner...but have owned many bugs/sundial 66 etc... I have always wanted a thing ,I know in us they only inported them 73- 74........well I just bought a 72 thing......... say s it on the title.........but inside the front hood on old sticker/lable make in Mexico............... thought this was done after 72? is this possable? it has older bus style tail lights and older bug blinkers in front. anyways if anyone could inlighten me on this history and how rare is my thing......any info would be great ,,Thanks Dave Question
vw-thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how common pre-1973 Things are in the US, but I have a '71 Mexican Thing that spent its whole life until last year in Guadalajara, Mexico. I was told the border was closed to imports last summer, so unless you can find a '73 or '74 Thing in Mexico, you can no longer bring other years across.
I'm interested in hearing the answer to your question as well...

Kris
:mrgreen:
VTAthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone else have an opinion on this? Question
Big Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things were produced from WWII into the 80's(I think) elsewhere in the world. '72 from Mexico is a definite possibility. If it's already in the US and titled, you shouldn't have any problems with it. Importing other than a '73 or '74 would be a real challange.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you have one out of 3,105 made in the Puebla plant that year. Here are some production figures for you.
http://www.geocities.com/vwtyp181/181_1-4.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lastsafari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safaris were made in Mexico starting in november 1970. No type 181s were made anywhere before october 1968. 1971 Safaris had 15x5 wheels. 1972 Safaris 14x 5.5 wheels. Safaris were assambled in Puebla Mexico since car 1 using parts from Germany between nov 1970 till feb 1973. All other Safaris had the parts made in Mexico. All Things were made in Mexico with Mexican parts, including afew 1975s wich were sold in the US before the ban on Things reached the sale rooms.
VTAthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: 72 thing Reply with quote

Tim/lastsafari...............That cleared things up quite a bit thanks for the production figures,,,,,, other question......do you or anyone know if they have the proper tail/front blinkers? older 68 bus tail light w/amber blinker...and frond fender is molded with the 68 blinker to fit.....anyways thanks alot
lastsafari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear lights for 1972 Safaris come with two light bulbs and amber red combination. 68 Buses have only red, and just one bulb.
lastsafari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front blinkers have three fases. One is ground, the second one is for turning lights, and the last one is always on.
VTAthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: 72 Thing Reply with quote

Last safari...Thanks for all that imput....sounds like highly likely mine was a sufari to start with ? any input on locating parts....alot of parts seem a little irreg... stearing /lock wheel...looks to be 60's style rear end is all funky...not irs .. front light lenses any info on this would be great...Thanks for your time Dave
lastsafari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave: according to your questions it seems to me like you have an ex-German Army vehicle due to your headlights. German headlights are not sealed beam units like in the US, and the headlight trim ring has two more screws for adjustment.
The rear suspencion-traccion is the same in the early German type 181s as for the early Safaris in 1972. A way to tell if your car was manufactured in Mexico is by looking for an aluminum plate the size of a business card pop riveted to the left of the front hood´s stricking plate on the opposite side of the washer tank, stating "Fabricado por Volkswagen de Mexico" (Manufactured by VW in Mexico) and then the serial number.
VTAthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked under hood and it says mexico on that plate, The rear end is the old style swing axle...with old boots on those joints...Im begining to think this thing was just pieced together by the guy I bought it from...its a 72 but it doesn't have 72 rear end ot right is it?
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

181s built in mexico all had swing axles and reduction boxes until 1973, as they were built from CKD kits imported from germany. So, the funky rear end is correct for your car, even though it was built in mexico. For more info, check out

http://www.geocities.com/vwtyp181/181index.htm

this is basically the definitive guide for all production info.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: