Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield glass dimensions
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Windshield glass dimensions Reply with quote

Anyone have the dimensions for the front window glass? Mines cracked and needs to be replaced.

I'm not interested in purchasing a template, just hoping someone has the exact measurements. Thanks.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you planning to replace it yourself? Can't you use your exisiting one? That's of course whether you can get it out of the frame in one piece.
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Sember... take your existing glass to a glass shop.

I learned the hard way...

Because of the shape exact measurement are difficult. You need more than just width and height. You'll need the angles at the corners and the lower left to upper right measurement etc...
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This car is my daily driver

Is it not a rectangular piece of glass?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a rectangle.
It is however a trapezoid.

You should be able to find a glass shop that will cut it while you wait.
If perhaps you make an appointment.
Pull it the night before, drop it at the glass shop in the AM, pick it up a couple hours later.
Bamn!!! You're done.
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search and ye shall find. Folks had some questions about windshields just last week. This post helped them out. I believe it includes dimensions, but the trapezoid shape wasn't mentioned...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=245181
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 3/8, 50 1/2, 54
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used measurements and the local glass shop cut a piece for $85. Cost another $75 to have them install it.

It's a bit akward but if you plan your moves you can do great. Helps to have a helper.

I think the edges are beveled. And the corners are rounded.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put a windshield in a 74 I working on for a guy. I went to the glass shop with a windshield pattern and he cut and beveled edges and rounded the corners while I waited for $110. He told me it would have been $125 but he happened to have a flat piece of green tint auto glass the correct size on hand. So that saved $15. If the 4 screws come out of the frame properly swapping a Thing windshield is a breeze. But then, I am working on a barn find with 32K original miles on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sdwalter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: VW Thing Windshield Drawing Reply with quote

I created a drawing for the windshield using the dimensions that Mike posted above. I uploaded a jpeg of the drawing to the gallery and will email the PDF to be included in the technical section.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
man130
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a very nice drawing with the pdf and all ,but I bet it would be of little help when you bring it to a local glass shop. I've worked in the glass bussiness for 25 years ,while there are some great people working in the bussiness, they did not end up there because NASA was alittle slow. If those sizes are correct and you dont have the old piece to give them as a templete.Just tell them to take a piece and cut it down to 15 3/8" height then cut from a square end 2 3/4" on top and 1" on bottom to give correct angle. then procede to measure 50 1/2 from the top (2 3/4 cut side) and measure 54" from the bottom (1" cut side) and you'll have the right piece.Reason for cutting 2 3/4 to 1" and not 1 3/4 " to 0" is it hard to cut the laminated glass to a strip that small .
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The corners of the windshield are rounded and the edges are chamfered to give clearance relief for the rubber edge seal between the glass and inner edges of the metal frame that contains the windshield. I have had a good number of perfect Thing windshields made using a windshield pattern (or your old windshield) with chamfer data.
sdwalter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is willing to share the chamfer data and the radius for the corners, I will update the drawing.
man130
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the beveled edge you speak of is just running a belt sander around the edge to take off the shape edge (it cacks easier from the sharp egde as to a smooth edge) and the radius would be done with the belt sander also refered to as a dimes edge (same radius of a dime) see ya
sdwalter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank everyone for the information. I have updated the drawing of the windshield by adding a note to chamfer the edges and round the corners to allow the seal to fit. Everett was kind enough to post it to the technical area of the site under the miscellaneous section. I have posted a link to the drawing below.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/Thing_Windshield.pdf

If anyone has further updates or information for the windshield, let me know and I will update the drawing again.

Scott
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: