Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon w/ Air Cooled 2.0 Porsche - Pros & Cons?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vespagetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Vanagon w/ Air Cooled 2.0 Porsche - Pros & Cons? Reply with quote

I have a chance to purchase a '83 Vanagon with a Porsche engine. It looks clean and it drives good but I have no idea what problems I may encounter in the future. The engine has 44k miles, the price is $2500. Thanks...
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snap it up! the engine is worth $2500...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, right.... I love it when people call the 2.0 a Porsche engine.
The typeIV engine came out 1st in the VW 411/412. Then it was put in the VW/Porsche 914. In Europe it is a VW, here in the USA it is a Porsche.

The ONLY real 2.0 914 engine worth anything is the 73-76 GB engine.
It had 3 studs holding down the intake manifolds and 8.0 compression ratio [flat top pistons]. 100 hp
The Vanagon 2.0 is the CV engine. It, like all the 2.0 bus engines has 4 studs holding down each intake and 7.5 compression ratio [dished pistons].

76-79 bay 2.0 are 7.3 compression ratio and 67 hp.

http://www.tunacan.net/t4/reference/case.htm

Count the intake studs and find the case serial number beginning letters.
johnboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't recognise a 6 cylinder 2.0 liter Porsche motor by sight, count the spark plug wires. Are there 6? Is there a big upright fan staring you in the face when you look at the motor? Does it have a sexy growl when you bring the revs up that could never be mistaken for the farty sound aircooled volksies make? If so, this could be a 1964 to 1969 911 motor. If this is the case buy it, the motor alone is worth it. If not, and the motor is a Volkswagen Type 4 motor, you have the right to poke the seller in his left eye for getting your hopes up. Now you don't say what flavor Vanagon you have there or what it's condition is. $2500 for a perfect Westfalia with a good Type 4 motor sound like a good deal to me. Maintainence is a snap on these motors and I happen to like the farty sound.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: