Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stainless exhaust from Vintage Speed
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vw7266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know if one of his mufflers will clear my stock westy hitch...Id really like to get one but Id like to know that I can still keep my og hitch on my westy
kombicol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another clearance question,

Does anyone know if their standard tail pipe muffler PN 155-206-05000 will clear an early non-cutout rear apron (55-59 crankstart).

The website says:
"Pre 1960 BUS may need to modify rear apron or headers( 2 flanges include in this option)."

Does anyone know what they mean and what mods are required?

Thanks
zcruisers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should email them. Lee got back to me same day and were extremely helpful with my issues. They are awesome.

Be Great. Cool
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had one of these on my bus now for 6 months or so (maybe a little less... long enough to know how it is though). It's the lower performance model set up for heat. I bought mine right after they updated the system to accomodate mildly stroked engines. The modification was done via adapter plates that require the user to drill/tap the flange.

So far, there's been some blueing (or browning) which is to be expected. No biggy; might annoy some of the real trailer queen types, but they won't be driving their buses anyway and there's a product for Harleys to remedy the situation. The only other concern is that the adapter plates seem to have a tendency to warp and cause exhaust leaks. I had to pull the exhaust off and partially disassemble it within a month after I got it to fix exhaust leaks caused by warped plates. I threw them on a large belt sander until there was no more black, then put the whole thing back together. It worked fine for a few months, and they've warped again. I figure they'll either get all of the warping out of them or keep getting worse as the steel gets thinner from fixing warpage... Time will tell.

Aside from those little foibles, I recommend this system to pretty much anyone that's interested. Great fit if you can drill and tap the plates correctly, sounds good (relatively quiet), and looks great.

-'58 German Market Deluxe Beetle (in progress)
-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
"Buy the best, cry once." -Gene Berg
"A cheap man will always buy the cheapest thing available, and then buys another one hoping for a better result, and then spends the rest of his life in misery complaining about it. A thrifty man will buy a good part once and never think about it again." -RockCrusher
"Don't feed the Shitty Parts Monster!" -Me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually bought one of the versions for lowered buses to replace my A1 sidewinder. I love it. I had drug a hole through the magnaflow on the sidewinder in about a year of driving. After a year with the Vintage Speed exhaust, I've only drug it a handful of times. Customer service is excellent as well. I had an issue with the exhaust about 4 months after buying it and sent Lee an e-mail. He said not to worry about it and shipped out another one to me, free of charge.

I was even able to replace the exhaust with the motor in the bus. Just took off the bumper and apron. Very Happy
roberto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
I actually bought one of the versions for lowered buses to replace my A1 sidewinder. I love it. I had drug a hole through the magnaflow on the sidewinder in about a year of driving. After a year with the Vintage Speed exhaust, I've only drug it a handful of times. Customer service is excellent as well. I had an issue with the exhaust about 4 months after buying it and sent Lee an e-mail. He said not to worry about it and shipped out another one to me, free of charge.

I was even able to replace the exhaust with the motor in the bus. Just took off the bumper and apron. Very Happy

So Andrew, How is the decibel difference between the A1 and the Vintage speed? Because after driving to florida and back, I have got to do something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Airborne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

420GOAT wrote:
is it worth the dough?? i remember seeing that the torque and hp are not that much better, so whats the deal?

I would assume that people buy it because they want stock looks and sound and easier valve adjusting no need to remove the muffler. At least that would be my motivation.

I would assume a 4 in one system like side winder or phyton from csp would always gene more hp and torque.

It's just what your after
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roberto wrote:
Andrew wrote:

So Andrew, How is the decibel difference between the A1 and the Vintage speed? Because after driving to florida and back, I have got to do something.

The vintage speed is WORLDS quieter than the A1. I was amazed at how much quieter it is. I can now actually talk to my passenger (people in the middle seat, as well!) while I'm driving the bus.

Airborne wrote:
420GOAT wrote:
is it worth the dough?? i remember seeing that the torque and hp are not that much better, so whats the deal?

I would assume that people buy it because they want stock looks and sound and easier valve adjusting no need to remove the muffler. At least that would be my motivation.

I would assume a 4 in one system like side winder or phyton from csp would always gene more hp and torque.

It's just what your after

I actually didn't have any noticeable hp loss in going from the A1 to the Vintage Speed.
smokeykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone running these on a press bumper bus? I have a very low 58 kombi with press bumpers and would like to see some pics of how the exhaust world like with pressed bumpers....thanks
vwtaiwan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokeykombi wrote:
Anyone running these on a press bumper bus? I have a very low 58 kombi with press bumpers and would like to see some pics of how the exhaust world like with pressed bumpers....thanks
Here are some pictures fitted into press bumper: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.371530499585485.87883.111413262263878&type=3

Last edited by vwtaiwan on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: