Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DIY Success: A Cheap and Satisfying Thrill
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: DIY Success: A Cheap and Satisfying Thrill Reply with quote

Today I changed the oil and filter in my bus, and adjusted the clutch pedal free play.

Yes, these are among the most basic DIY tasks in the book, but 4 hours later I am still feeling the thrill of accomplishment. Smile

As some of you know, a few years ago I developed a very nasty joint disease--kind of like Superman-strength arthritis--in all the joints in my body. It is largely untreatable and has progressed quickly. Now, at age 45, I can no longer fully open or close my fingers, kneel, lift any weight over a few pounds, raise my right arm over my shoulder or do a thousand other things I used to take for granted. I have three artificial jonts and more surgeries are planned.

BUT I did all the work on my bus today MYSELF, without any help. Yes, I dropped my tools several times, yes I ended up strapping the torque wrench onto my wrist brace to get that final twist to 25 ft.lbs., Laughing yes it took me three hours to do 45 minutes worth of work. But I did it. Very Happy

I used to do all sorts of work on my cars before I got this illness. I forgot how satisfying it is to do the work yourself, to know that it has all been done and done right. I think even the best mechanics often don't take the same time and care that an owner does.

So for all you newbies and DIY neophytes out there, if I can do this stuff, YOU can do this stuff, and it IS worth doing yourself. Start with whatever is within your physical or experiential abilities, and go from there. But in any case, give it a try. Both you and your bus will probably be happier. Cool
Proud Member #1, SBS (Stock Bus Society)

*Enjoy and appreciate your good health*

We used to play for silver
Now we play for life
earthmuffin
Samba Worm Farmer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob D wrote:
Yes, I dropped my tools several times, yes I ended up strapping the torque wrench onto my wrist brace to get that final twist to 25 ft.lbs

Thats totally hardcore man..........Awesome.
I love seeing people that work through issues that they might be having instead of sitting around on the couch wailing about there misery and misfortune.

Major props, keep on truckin' Bob !!! Very Happy
Jealous_Zack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas Carlyle:
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.

Keep on keepin on.
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you did it pretty fast, considering. You have my respect.
panasonic90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My respects!
I can't say anything else, I only hope that if I ever find myself in your situtation I can follow your admirable example. The size of the task is only given by the power of the tools, the size of your "basic" tasks was humongous.

Ant

Pd.- I'm changing the oil of my bus next week, let's see if it doesn't take me 2 hours...
74 bay ambulance
type 4 2lt carbs engine
Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

Thanks for the boost!
I keep looking at my van and dreading all those things I could be, should be, and can do.

I admire your dedication and tenacity. I'm going to get away from this computer today and accomplish something too. The computer is like a vaccuum to me. If I walk in the room where it lives, I get stuck on it for hours.

I'm going to spend some hours outdoors working on my van today.
Because I need to and because you said if you can do it so can I
and you're right, of course.

Good luck with your surgeries and good work!

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
ruckman101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on dude! I wrestled for at least two hours trying to adjust the clutch on my van, that wing nut was no hand tighten affair.

neal
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duncwarw wrote:
Bob,
I keep looking at my van and dreading all those things I could be, should be, and can do.
Paul

And you are looming in the appointment book, young Paul, so don't get everything done before I get there. . . . Very Happy
I have an Ohio or two, then TheNextTownshend, then youse guyz in Nooyawk before I wok on the caas in Massachusetts.
Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I think I have enough to keep us going for more than twelve hours!

Two yoots with wrenches...

Say hello to Baaston Bahwb Wink

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
thenexttownshend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go Bob! Very Happy

Amskeptic wrote:
I have an Ohio or two, then TheNextTownshend, then youse guyz in Nooyawk before I wok on the caas in Massachusetts.

Do i sence a crack on my accent here?

JuscauseItakrealyfasandhavawicitacentdontdeservedat! Wink

-1973 Bus Type II
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sylvester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: Way to go Bob! Reply with quote

I sure wish I lived near you, I could give you a hand, or a part, or a wrench! Let me know if you EVER need anything. Still proud member, SBS, #3!!!

Oct. 22, 1929. 8:30 pm. The ship is making water fast. We have turned around and headed for Milwaukee. Pumps are working, but sea gate is bent in and can't keep the water out. Flicker is flooded. Seas are tremendous. Things look bad. Crew roll is about the same as last payday. A.R. Sadon, Purser.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are most definitely an inspiration. Good luck!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: