Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trying to get a title - is there an easy way?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Trying to get a title - is there an easy way? Reply with quote

First off, I'm in Texas, but don't let that keep any suggestions from being made as I'll try just about anything!

I recently purchased a complete non-running 1966 bug without a title. No idea who it belonged to as the guy I bought it from was getting rid of it due to a move out of state, and he had acquired it from someone else. The VIN # isn't on record which the DMV says probably means it hasn't been registered for 10 + years. The car has no plates. They've advised me I'd have to get a "bonded title", then get a surety bond, pay taxes, special fees, estimated value fees or some crap like that....I'm thinking this will end up costing me $350+, when I only paid $100 for it!

Any info or suggestions provided would be greatly appreciated, and worth trying as I'm on a very limited budget.

Thanks for your time,
Dave

Last edited by sportin-wood on Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:36 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EvanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a complete, non rusted car that just doesn't run. I think it is worth $350.

Save up the funds and get it done right the first time.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's complete....some rust issues on the pan, but nothing too crazy...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CLASSIC CAR GUY
Transport and Title Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can go here> http://www.broadwaytitle.com/ i have been using them for over 20 yrs when i need a title or have a car with a "title issues" if you go the bonded route its not to bad the bond usually runs 75 bucks plus what ever your DMV fee is for title usually
61' Type 1
62' Type 1
64' Type 1
66' Type 1
66' Vert'
67' Type 1

"every one wants to reinvent the wheel, but nobody knows how to make it round"

Vintage Volkswagen Sales and Service as well as Classics and Muslcecars all located here in Phoenix Arizona at www.rpmotorcars.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matt mc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went through this for my bug, and just got the title on Friday. I live in Colorado and it was a lot easier than that, since it is more than 25 years old. I was told to get a notarized bill of sale and a certified inspection from the dmv or the highway patrol. Then after I got that I took them to the dmv, where i paid $2.40 to send off for a title search. Mine came back with no record of a title in the state of Colorado. After the title search came back clean, I filled out another form, and my title was in the mail. Car now has plates and I have a title. All of this took about 4 weeks but they gave me a 60 day temp plate so I could drive the car during all of the paperwork. No bonds and fees for me, I hope you can go the same route where you live. It was very easy.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt mc wrote:
I was told to get a notarized bill of sale and a certified inspection from the dmv or the highway patrol. Then after I got that I took them to the dmv, where i paid $2.40 to send off for a title search.

Only problem for me is that the vehicle is not running, and quite a ways from running. This bug wouldn't pass inspection here in Texas as-is, not running. I'm mainly wanting to make sure I can call the vehicle "mine" before I start putting all kinds of money into it, even if it sits for a while as I take time restoring it on my budget....
lucille66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horse before the carriage, my friend.
CLASSIC CAR GUY
Transport and Title Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GO HERE>>> http://www.broadwaytitle.com/
61' Type 1
62' Type 1
64' Type 1
66' Type 1
66' Vert'
67' Type 1

Vintage Volkswagen Sales and Service as well as Classics and Muslcecars all located here in Phoenix Arizona at www.rpmotorcars.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
downsbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you say the car was abandoned? I think that will save you some money going that route. At least that is what I was advised here in AZ.
Matt mc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I missed the not running part, and I understand the not wantin to put the money into it before you knew it could be yours. I bought mine for $800 with no title. I then had to put about another $1000 in to it before I would even want to put it on the road. I did all o this before I had a title. I know some people migh think this is dumb but I was told at the beginning at my DMV that I should have no problems gettin a title for the car because it was more than 25 years old. I don't know the laws in Texas a d I hope you have good luck with gettin a title for the car. This was my first vw and I have had nothing but fun with the car.
jdub63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure this will help, but I titled my non-running car in Tx without registration. The registration is what requires the safety inspection. I would call the county tag office and find out what they need to create a new title....

I think the certified inspection Matt is talking about is only a VIN check, not a safety inspection....
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only way you can do it in Texas is Broadway title, or ITS if they are still around. Good Luck
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get a mechanic's lien on it or source a company in Alabama? that can issue the correct paperwork to get a title. they basically buy it from you, and you buy it back because in their state you dont have to have a title. I had to title my 64 walkthru this way and it cost like $300. make sure your dmv will let you or else it will be a waste. my dmv from Oregon changed their laws to where you supposedly cant do it anymore. the mechanic's lean usually works everywhere and costs about 50-100 bucks.
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't put any money into the car until you have a clear title. if there is a legal owner, you'll have to give it up.

Geoff
CLASSIC CAR GUY
Transport and Title Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GO HERE>>> http://www.broadwaytitle.com/ <<GO HERE!! Brick wall Brick wall Dancing

unless your in Arizona and can apply under the Abandoned Title law, Broadway title is your only and easiest option as I have suggested, thats it, you asked for a answer and you have had it in the past 3 replys! Dancing Dancing
61' Type 1
62' Type 1
64' Type 1
66' Type 1
66' Vert'
67' Type 1

Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to add, Texas is a nitemare for cars without a title. depending on how they feel that day, they may not accept your title company issued title. BROADWAY TITLE will tell you if they can deal in Texas or not
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
to add, Texas is a nitemare for cars without a title. depending on how they feel that day, they may not accept your title company issued title. BROADWAY TITLE will tell you if they can deal in Texas or not

he is absolutely correct! when I did my old '64 bus, the company that issued me the replacement papers said it would work and there wouldnt be any issues. much money and time later, the Oregon DMV fought me for a month saying it wasnt legit but eventually got sick of dealing with me and gave in. DO NOT trust what the company tells you, only what YOUR DMV and their policy is.
Jgowin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the inspection goes I believe you can call your local police department and they can have a officer come by and do a vin verification at your home, even on a nonrunning car. All they will do is look at your vin plates on your car and make sure that they match any paper work that you have, hopefully you have atleast a bill of sale. As far as title laws in your state I would go to your states dmv web site first, they should have a list of requirements and most likely have forms you can down load and print. As far as the bonded title try calling your insurance company, they can issue them in most states. But I would try the dmv web site instead of standing in line to do what you might be able to do in a few minutes from your home computer.
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I have personally gone through the process of registering a vehicle bought without a title in Texas. This was in 2005 with my '82 Honda Supercub scooter so I may have forgotten a couple things but here it goes. You must have a bill of sale and the seller's address. I had to get 2 appraisals of the vehicle. These I got from local dealerships and they will probably charge you. I then had to get a surety bond from a title bonding company which was the hard part. Texas DMV said that Texas only requires around a $10 bond per $1000 of vehicle value. My scooter was only valued at around $800 and no one wanted to issue a bond for such a low amount. I ended up using a company called Ameribonds Surety who issued me a bond for $100. I had to take all that crap to a tax office in Arlington, fill out a bunch of forms and then they gave me a "Rejection Packet" which includes more paperwork and all the items you submitted to them. I was ready to register the vehicle at the time so I then had to go get insurance. Then I got a safety inspection and paid the inspector an extra $15 for a "green sheet" which is an official document certifying a vehicle never registered in TX or out of the system. Then take that and the rejection packet to the local tax office and fill out a Applictation for Title, pay some more money and get a shiny new set of plates and a "Bonded" title will come in the mail in a couple of weeks. After 3 years, the bond expires and you have a normal title. Whew!!

*If you got sick of reading and skipped the above* Basically it is a lot of running around, filling out forms and paying money but it's doable if your determined, as I was. I think I probably spent around $300 and a couple of weeks assembling all the required paperwork before it was all done.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: