Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

portable propane grills
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Weber Baby Q100 or Q200 fit in the luggage rack flush? or does it sit higher than the top?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this one and it takes very little space.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.a...amp;brand=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have good taste in gear Alaric Smile, but that is just a stove, not a grille..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

a stove is not a grille,
a grille is not a BBQ, but it can be a stove
a BBQ can be a grille, and it can be a stove too

I actually like grilles, they are fast, I dont have the patience for a slow cooker BBQ

I like stoves too.. for things I cook in a pan or pot, but not for grilling, and not for BBQing...

btw, Trader Joes has some killer Carne Asada, and Pollo Asado that cook up really nicely on a grille Smile, not on a stove, and you dont really need a BBQ, cause the meat is so thin..
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at those kuuma's. has anyone used them?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:

That is a great looking unit - may have to upgrade my white gas from last century... Nice!

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: grills Reply with quote

I bought the Kuuma #83727. It's very low profile and cooks very nicely.

It has an optional rail mount that I'm pretty sure I can use on an old lower awning mount that is still on my van. With a little modification.

The only issue I had as mentioned earlier is the heat flash when opening the top. The instructions clearly state to cook with the top open. Who knew?

B.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you able to slow cook on the magma with the lid closed or does it flame up like the kuuma? Who would have ever thought researching for a grill is so hard.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I'm seeing all these 1 or 2 burner stoves. Can't you buy a grill to put over the burners and then you have a grill? I used to have a grill that I put on my BBQ for making eggs, bacon, etc.... Just a thought. And you could look for a big old deep pot lid of turn a wok upside down over it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mick cassidy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cook hint / tip put tin foil inder ur chicken or wrapit for the first 15 mins it will stop it getting charred the the kast 5 mins put the bbq sauce on and turn the heat down to med and then turn the heat off for 5 more mins and it should be de licious nothing worse than a lump of chicken flavored charcoal !!!!
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after looking at grills for a while and trying to get one that fits my needs I finally decided on one. My needs were: portable size, even heat, able to hook up to a bigger "bomb" rather than the green ones, and able to slow cook with the lid closed. It just so happens that in a conversation with a friend, he had a brand new never used Olympian 4100. The price was right Free! It is a kick ass grill. It's made of cast aluminum and has a no flare up cast "fire plate". I haven't used it in the vws yet, but id several test runs at the house. I roasted hatch green chillis, burgers, pork chops and jalapenos wrapped with bacon and stuffed with cream cheese. I'll be camping this weekend and will be sure to post pics with the vw's in the background. Thanks for all the suggestions. It's a great grill for a good price.
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-57301-Olympian-Tabletop-Grill/dp/B000BV01CA

After getting it, I looked at reviews and people commented on its small grill size. I think it is perfect. It's not huge, but good size for up to 4-5 people. When you first use it, you have to let the smoker plate heat up for a few minutes, before throwing the food on. Once that smoker plate is hot, you can turn the flame way down low and it keeps the heat and cooks at really low temps. The grill also has a heat indicator on it, I haven't gotten the temp into the high zone yet, it mostly stays at the line of medium/hot.
I also threw on a chuck of hickory wood for a little smoke flavor, the other day with blue cheese burgers. It smoked well.
Over all it's a great grill and stores easily, I tried it on the luggage rack of the 74 westy and the big roof rack of the syncro. I am having a buddy make me a custom bag for it. to keep the mess at a minimum.
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrobewesty wrote:
Does the Weber Baby Q100 or Q200 fit in the luggage rack flush? or does it sit higher than the top?

I was just wondering this same thing. Love my Weber Q. Maybe I need to test-fit it.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ithinkso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VANACATE wrote:
Its not a gas grill, and a little old school, but after much thought I settled on this little guy a while back as I really like the functional design:

http://www.sonofhibachionline.com/

vanacate how is the quality on that grill? I'm a die-hard charcoal/hardwood person and I like the looks of this one. I like how they combine a grill and a chimney style charcoal starter into one package because it will save space in the van. After watching a couple of the videos though it reminds me of a Ron Popeil "call now and get not one but two..." commercial so I'm a little wary of it.

1985 Westy, Zetec powered
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiram6 wrote:
jrobewesty wrote:

I was just wondering this same thing. Love my Weber Q. Maybe I need to test-fit it.

I haven't tried mine out on the luggage rack but just looking at it, it looks
to be higher than the rack. I didn't want to try it out up there as the drip
pan may drip on some thing, mainly me. Be my guest to try yours, if it's clean.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

an online search found these dimensions

1. Webber Q 100 Dimensions: Height: 23.5 "; Width: 27.0 "; Depth: 20.5 "

2. Webber Q 200 Measures 17.7 by 32 by 15.29 inches (width by length by height)

If you measure the luggage rack, you will have some idea how much the grill sticks up.. it will for sure..
VANACATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ithinkso wrote:
VANACATE wrote:
Its not a gas grill, and a little old school, but after much thought I settled on this little guy a while back as I really like the functional design:

http://www.sonofhibachionline.com/

vanacate how is the quality on that grill? I'm a die-hard charcoal/hardwood person and I like the looks of this one. I like how they combine a grill and a chimney style charcoal starter into one package because it will save space in the van. After watching a couple of the videos though it reminds me of a Ron Popeil "call now and get not one but two..." commercial so I'm a little wary of it.

Yeah that website, its is all: "but wait! There's more!!"
AND wait until you see the packaging. It has not changed since 1981... feathered hair, high wasted pants, white sweaters... but then you see a URL address on the bag... I definitely thought WTF when it arrived in the mail.

I have cooked probably 40 meals on it since April and its no worse for wear.

The metal is thicker than the average grill and the grates are cast iron. I'd say its intelligently designed and could be more refined build-wise but it is definitely not flimsy... and it works well. We always have a roll of heavy duty aluminum foil on hand for cooking... that stuff and a few small rocks makes for a great lid if you wanna bounce back some of the heat.

It also serves double duty as a coal starter for us when using our dutch oven!
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrobewesty wrote:

Here is a pic of the Q200. It sits pretty proud of the top, but does not create wind noise or anything.

It was awesome last weekend, we grilled hot dogs, asparagus, pineapple, chicken, etc. at our camp site. I piped it into the propane tank using the 1-20 fitting, worked perfect. Those fittings have a schrader valve so you can just pop them off without closing the tank valve.

EvilDNA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd bump this based on what I saw at Costco for 99.00.

NexGrill Portable Stainless Steel Grill

http://www.amazon.com/Nexgrill-Portable-Table-Stainless-Steel/dp/B003HU9GGO

Very little info out there on this one, not even on Nexgrill's own site, but it has a few things going for it that others may not.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a review of the nexgrill:
==

We picked this up from Costco, used it twice, and returned it.

Despite preheating it, it just would not get hot enough to properly grill our steaks while camping. Two separate meals, both times it did not come anywhere near our ideal of seared on the outside and pink on the inside. Admittedly, it was 60 degrees outside, but it will frequently be 60 degrees outside or less so it was a good testing environment.

Just for kicks I also took a stab at using it to griddle some pancakes and again... it just did not get hot enough.

I ordered a Weber Q 220 instead. It costs twice as much, but at least it worked for its intended purpose.

==
Mike Robinson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a Holland companion grill for years

http://www.hollandgrill.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.detail/prodID/2/index.htm

Excellent construction. It is a BBQ that you can use as an oven. It roasts chicken so well. It is an indirect heat so it can never have a flare up

We baked a Pizza in Joshua Tree .....

Mike
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in TODAY'S WOOT (4-21-12) Good LUCK!
is this neat little gas grill with a Iron grate and SS burner.

http://home.woot.com/
Fuego Element Portable Gas Grill
4-21-12 only $99.99 + $5 shipping
Condition: New Product: 1 Fuego EP01AMG Portable Gas Grill, Coated Cast Iron Grate, Push Button Igniter, Variable Control

Quote:
Features:

A sleek, modern design with unbeatable portability and convenient solution for grilling on-the-go
The grill’s locking legs conveniently fold into carry handles that connect with a red travel band for compact and secure transport
Grill up a feast for the whole gang with a generous 159 square inches of grill space on an enamel-coated cast iron grate
Featuring a roaring 8000 btu/hr stainless steel burner that heats up to 650°
The variable control valve keeps control in cooking, while the steel cooking lid with insulated handle keeps food warm
Removable residue tray (dishwasher safe)
High-low temperature settings (350°-650°F)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: