Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CV Boot Replacement... Urgent?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 12:50 pm    Post subject: CV Boot Replacement... Urgent? Reply with quote

I was under my '77 last evening replacing the valve cover gaskets (had a small leak) and noticed that the CV Boot on the passenger side is torn. Not sure how long it has been that way but I am wondering 1) how urgently does this need to be replaced and 2) is this a major pain to replace (scale of 1-10)?

Any feedback would be appreciated. We have a couple of 300+ mile trips planned in June and I am thinking I should probably fix this prior to departure.

Thanks!
ekimthemad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 3:05 pm    Post subject: CV Boot Replacement... Urgent? Reply with quote

If you are planning some longer trips I would suggest replacing them before hand. The sooner you can replace the boots the less likely the cv joints will be damaged.

It is a simple job to replace. I would buy two boots and do both on that side at the same time. All you have to do is crawl underneath and remove the six bolts on both ends of the axle. You should be able to get the axle off. There are probably clips holding the cv joints on. Remove those and slide the joints followed by the boots. Install the new boots. regrease the joint and put back together. I would recheck the tightness of the bolts after driving for a distance to make sure they stay tight.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 9:25 pm    Post subject: CV Boot Replacement... Urgent? Reply with quote

I did mine on a 77 and it wasn't to bad, just a bit messy with the grease. Check out this site or search for another online as the directions are quite good. www.type2.com/bartnik/cvjoints.htm
Remember to check each bolt on the cv's because they may not all be the same, some might be 6m allen heads and others the triple square (which you can probably get cheapest from a good vw service shop, I paid about $10 CDN for mine).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 5:48 am    Post subject: CV Boot Replacement... Urgent? Reply with quote

Thanks for the help! Doesn't sound like too much of a chore.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 8:12 am    Post subject: CV Boot Replacement... Urgent? Reply with quote

Be sure to dig the dirt out of each bolt with a tiny screwdriver really well or it's "strip city" then you have to go to hammer and chisel or if your luck big vice grips. Re torque spec is 25-30 ft-lbs.
When removing the joints be sure NOT to let them come apart, the balls must stay in their respected positions in the "cages" or you'll be having more fun than a Rubik's Cube! Wear the disposable gloves and really old clothes it can be quite messy. Also if the boot kits don't come with the grease make sure you buy MOLYSULPHITE (MOSO2??
good kits come with a tube and new bolts, but I buy some extra grease and packem really good (but dont fill the boot..) have fun!!!!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 1:01 pm    Post subject: CV Boot Replacement... Urgent? Reply with quote

Oh yeah I forgot a tip, put 3 wireties through the cv cages and they won't fall apart when removing and cleaning...
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joel Rosado
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:09 pm    Post subject: CV Boot Replacement... Urgent? Reply with quote

BENTLY MANUAL IS A GOOD SOURCE OF INFORMATION. NEED A SCAN???,E-MAIL ME AND I'LL SEND IT;DANNY
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 10:18 pm    Post subject: CV Boot Replacement... Urgent? Reply with quote

I AM ALSO HAVING PROBLEMS WITH CV BOOTS.I HAVE PURCHASED 8 NEW BOOTS IN THE LAST TWO YEARS AND SEEM TO DETERIORATE IN NO TIME.THESE ARE FACTORY BOOTS WITH THE AUDI LOGO ON THEM.THIS IS ON MY 77 WESTY DAILY DRIVER.IF ANYONE KNOWS SOMETHING I DONT,PLEASE LET ME KNOW...THANKS
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: