Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How late is your oval?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
808OvalGreasemonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: How late is your oval? Reply with quote

I have my "birth certificate" and it says it was built in July of 1957 and left the factory July 15th,making it one of the last ovals built since August was the 1958 model build date.
Also found out the #'s are matching and whitewall tires were a requested factory option.
However I also found out that the rear fenders and possibly the front are not original.This makes no sense since the interior is in excellent original shape and the body is rust free....
I think someone may have stolen the fenders and did a "bait & switch" with the good originals for later ones (?) Evil or Very Mad
L378
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not knowing the history, it is very possible that fenders either rusted or more likely were damaged in an accident. Check for possible signs off an accident in all the obvious areas. I can tell you that my oval has replacement rear fenders and while the interior wasn't original - the pans were in fine shape. they were replaced so long ago that it wouldn't have been worth it to swap for later just to pick up a few $. FWIW only the most discerning VW person will notice and fewer still will care. I know mind aren't og, but I don't care and the replacements look ok. Enjoy that og interior & your ride.
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got me beat I am April 1957 and my engine is May 1957.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
808OvalGreasemonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good way to look at it,they may have been replaced for many reasons....it is a bummer though,since it has so much original stuff on it,for the fenders not to be is kind of a bummer (also because I paid 13k for this car!)........but I am not going to change it,it is a driver and I am enjoying it immensely! Cool
Last Triumph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine left the factory June 11th, '57 - Elvis was Number 1
vwbrewer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have my birth certificate but I'm late Jun 1957, my Oval Sunroof is 1592xxx
Mike Peckham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Oval left the factory on 13th July '57 and was registered in the UK on 23rd July. The original owner (who kept the car until his death in 1978) worked for the VW dealer where the car was sold. His son told me that the "new" '58 models appeared in the garage less than two weeks after his Dad's car had been registered and his Dad was ever after annoyed that his beetle had become out dated so soon after he bought it.

This makes me think that the impending release of the obviously updated '58 model must have been kept quiet, even in VW circles if a dealer employee didn't know about it when he ordered his new car?

Incidently, my car, which is in mostly original paint, had had all but one of its wings replaced by 1978 due to the original owner's inability to squeeze it through the gate posts and the garage door!

Mike
808OvalGreasemonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very cool that you know the history of your Bug....I guess there are MANY reasons for fender (wing) replacement,such as crashing into poles! Laughing
Thanks for sharing your guys build dates,since most are concerened how "early" their car is,we mostly own the the "last" of the ovals...... Cool
As for the "outdated" comment.....in the KDF/older bug forum there is a LONG thread titled "cool vintage pictures" and there is one picture in there with a PILE of split window body sections CUT OUT and laying on the ground, and were replaced by the "new" oval window section to "update" their bug to the "new" style...........people were doing thois with ovals as well,replacing it with the "new" big window.........even back then people were worried about status!
Last Triumph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

808OvalGreasemonkey wrote:
That is very cool that you know the history of your Bug....I guess there are MANY reasons for fender (wing) replacement,such as crashing into poles! Laughing
Thanks for sharing your guys build dates,since most are concerened how "early" their car is,we mostly own the the "last" of the ovals...... Cool
As for the "outdated" comment.....in the KDF/older bug forum there is a LONG thread titled "cool vintage pictures" and there is one picture in there with a PILE of split window body sections CUT OUT and laying on the ground, and were replaced by the "new" oval window section to "update" their bug to the "new" style...........people were doing thois with ovals as well,replacing it with the "new" big window.........even back then people were worried about status!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Shocked
808OvalGreasemonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch.......... Sad
kdf38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1592xxx should be early/mid July

July == 1584655 to 1600846

vwbrewer wrote:
I don't have my birth certificate but I'm late Jun 1957, my Oval Sunroof is 1592xxx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calibob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: how late is your oval Reply with quote

Mine april 57 oval & engine june 57 =)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
downsbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pssssshhhhh....... Mine is never on time, it is always late.... Evil or Very Mad
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Triumph wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Shocked

Think this is a Danish picture, a company there spezialized in big window conversations. I had a blue 52 split with big window once, the seller said it had been in Denmark in mid-60 for an upgrade. Maybe at the same place.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
nidan2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine is made o, 25April 1957 left the factory 26 april 1957, strange thing is... It's an original Stratos Silver, but Vw said the made stratos Silver only till 1956
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine is 15901** which i reckon makes it early to mid july. however mine is a ckd car assembled in australia. i was wondering how the chassis dating works for ckd cars, are they stamped with a number in germany, or are they stamped while being assembled in the ckd factory in australia ?
57OVAL57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: 1957 Oval Reply with quote

Having a morning coffee and perusing the forum. Mine comes in at Vin#158599*
boxkiteflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From 'Birth Certificate'. Chassis: 1 592 036 Model: 117 Engine: not registered Color: blue Production date: July 03rd 1957 Delivery date: July 4th 1957 Delivered to: Germany

'Libby' (from Liberty- the Fourth of July!) has had a hard life... poor thing. The pan doesn't match but is older than body, a PO cut a flap(?) in sheet metal above tranny and a tree had fallen on her. The engine had been replaced with newer version which as since been rectified and has a Judson with boost gauge and Judson 'magneto'. Slowly getting restored and all of those bad things been fixed. Just need chrome, interior, carpet, headliner plus smallish doo-dads. All the BIG bucks are spent.
530-VAL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine is from april 24 1953 Wink
raynose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: how old is your oval Reply with quote

Don't have birth cert. but as far as I can figure mine is around June of 57.

http://raynose.wix.com/vwloversnl#
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: