Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ba6 recirculation fan importance
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
waltervee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m looking for photos showing an installed sheet metal tube from the aux fan connection going into a camper.

Here’s the part:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My BA6 runs and produces heat but the aux fan is open to the undercarriage and the recirc tube should make it warmer.

I picked up the sheet metal that runs into the interior but can’t figure a way to get it installed. It’s too long to weave between the frame and rear axle. I’m thinking I may have to cut this sheet metal tube and use a clamp style connector to hold it together; no space to do a complete weld.

I’d also like to see a view of where the interior vent mounts, in the storage area under the bed? This would help me figure out where to cut the appropriate hole.

Thanks!
raymino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics of your setup. My 79 Westy came with the BA6, so I don't exactly know what holes/stampings you have in your bus. Anyway, your setup looks like my stock setup until we get to the rear of the heater. Your flapper box looks different for one thing. It seems to curve down at the engine end. Just doesn't look the same.

Look at the picture of the temporary tube I posted above. On the left side you see a coffee can lid duct taped on. There is a hole there in the crossmember the size of the ribbed rubber extention on the air recirculation blower. On the forward side of the crossmember are some sheet metal "ears" or tabs that the ribbed rubber part slides into, then held firm by a hose clamp. This, and the connection to the square one end round the other rubber duct (211 261 795), is the only mounting point for the air recirculation blower. I'm not sure if these "ears" are the part of the necessary duct or not.

Also notice the smaller hole just inboard of the coffee can lid. This is for the BA6 exhaust (in mine there was a long exhaust pipe that exited just forward of the rear drivers side wheel). Again, don't know if this hole is there or not on your bus.

It seems to me that you need to get one of these square one end round the other rubber ducts (211 261 795), or you might be able to shorten the one you have. Looks like the angles are right. You'll be wrapping the thing with duct tape anyhow.

Looks like you have the right air recirculation blower (211 261 193).

You do need the duct circled below and the two pieces (the orange one and the galvanized one) just to the right of the circle. The galvanized one is just a cover, so it is fitting the orange piece that involves cutting, but I think this cutting is minimal and straighforward. You have that cutting to do and cutting the hole in the crossmember if you don't have one.

Below you can see the flapper box coming off the rear of the heater. The rear of the flapper box connects directly to the Y tube, while the air recirculation blower mounts in the "ears".

So, your shopping list ...

1 flapper box (211 261 751)
1 red circled duct
1 galvanized cover
1 sheet metal vent
1 (maybe) square one end round the other rubber duct (211 261 795)

Don't forget the duct tape. Of these, probably the flapper box and the rubber duct would be the hardest to find. You see the other pieces in the classifieds or the can be removed from a junked donor.

I urge you to not mess with the stock BA6 setup. Of course having never had to do it, I can say that the cutting doesn't seem too extreme and worth it to have a stock setup.
'71 Super Marine Blue
raymino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waltervee wrote:
It’s too long to weave between the frame and rear axle.

Do you have that hole in the crossmember? Maybe it has to "slip" through there first. In jure-slo's third picture you can see it butting up to the underside of the floor.

Having the air recirculation blower open to the undercarriage will make your BA6 work too hard to provide the heat you want. You will wear it out.
'71 Super Marine Blue
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, the baywindow setup looks so much cleaner.

the first issue with converting it to a baywindow style setup would be the fan, as the Vanagon fresh air fan points the other direction, which means it's drain hole would be at the top if you flipped it around.

tying into the baywindow stock heater boxes will be a bit tricky with all of the Vanagon plumbing
raymino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
tying into the baywindow stock heater boxes will be a bit tricky with all of the Vanagon plumbing

Wait ... you do have a Y tube don't you? That is all the connection to the heater boxes you need. I'm assuming you have all the heater box to Y tube parts already in your '79. Most of that stuff in your pics to the rear of the BA6 you really don't need.
'71 Super Marine Blue
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: