Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW38 found in Lithuania
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 146, 147, 148 ... 226, 227, 228  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunnybug84 wrote:
... we should find out who sven bieber is, and how he is involved in the projekt... maybe a secret source of pre kdf stuff? Laughing

Yes, good eye! He must be the one with the other prototype of wich all the parts came from. They had not made all the parts. They just called
"Sven Bieber" and he delivered the OG parts. Wink Laughing
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exciting stuff! How many days does it take to do the paint application coupled with what ever body work needs to be done? I'd guess it would be about a weeks time before we'll see this car all shiney and smooth?

Oh and my bad Bjorn, what was I thinking? Laughing Laughing
US Army CH-47 Chinook Helicopter Repairer
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nitrosynthetic cellulose enamel is a most easily applied easily workable paint.It doesnt tolerate poor preparation as it shrinks as it dries. It doesnt tolerate non compatible primers and undercoats and to get the depth of finish shown in some of the pictures will need a colour coat application time that runs into days, ie lay on 4 coats, let dry overnight, wetsand with 1000 to 1500 paper and soap as a lubricant.Repeat over a few days until the required paint depth is met. This allows for the solvents to properly evaporate and prevent too much shrinkage and solvent pop.the final coats will likely be 80 % high gloss thinner which will melt the colour substrates slightly and provide a flat finish. Once hard the paint will again be wet flatted with soap and in the 30s would be polished back to a shine with Brasso or similar metal polish. Todays equivalent would be an ammonia based product such as T-Cut, modern 2 pack rubbing compounds just wont be so effective.
Very labour intensive and that doesnt include the minor metalwork repairs, lead repairs, sealers and primers....

Thats how I was taught by my Grandad who was a coacbuilder and cellulose sprayer who began his training in 1932...
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
Police qualified vehicle examiner
Police Class 1 High performance, pursuit trained Advanced driver
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, after watching that video of it back in 2003, I've drawn 2 thoughts..One, after seeing it like that, it could have made anyone a skeptic, I had a hard time finding anything VW with the front end of it..

That being said, the second though was, despite it being in that condition already when it was found back in 2003, that thing had ALOT of modifications..Looking more at it, it wasn't simply the front portion cut off of the hood and he bottom portion of the decklid being cut off and some DKW fenders & Chassis put on it. We've seen the complete reconstruction of the engine bay, the front windshield and the doors..The rear window along with alot of interior parts like the dash and the brackets that hold in the rear seat...Almost a complete car, most people say "is it worth all of the work" "There is virtually no original metal left."

Now with that being said..The conclusion that I drew was maybe was there a Soviet company that redid these cars to make them fit the USSR controlled areas after 1945? We all know that this car was found in Lithuania, which at that time was under Soviet rule, and we all know that life wasn't good then. How would someone have performed all of these modifications with out some sophisticated tools? Granted it was 72 years ago when it was first created but man thats alot of hardship for just a handful of people to do.

Not to mention the lack of body filler and fiberglass of outragous modifications. All of this was reworked, and reworked well all with metal..So perhaps if there was a company, there are others out there?

A complete car, 5 years prior to being found
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2008 after work had started and all of the original metal was reveiled minus the hood & decklid

All of the reproduced parts

US Army CH-47 Chinook Helicopter Repairer
147fridolin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject: Very nice Reply with quote

Very very nice project Christian

Last edited by 147fridolin on Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
James D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatterBon wrote:
How would someone have performed all of these modifications with out some sophisticated tools?

Not to mention the lack of body filler and fiberglass of outragous modifications. All of this was reworked, and reworked well all with metal.

Donīt underestimate what a skilled metalworker can do with some fairly simple hand tools. There was no filler or fiberglass back then, or at least not easily available. So if you did metalwork modifications you had to do them nicely, or use a lot of lead. Actually, Iīd be interested to know if there was any lead filler found.
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James D wrote:
Donīt underestimate what a skilled metalworker can do with some fairly simple hand tools.

Agree. You ever see the stuff that one dude in Thailand can do?
The Doc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, great credit to all of the team involved with this build. Christain et-al - hats off to you guys! Attention to detail, no matter how small, is exemplary! AMAZING stuff.

I do have one question for you though, and it may be that you are not happy answering it on a forum - but who is paying for all your housr & hours of work to the car? Is this something you are funding yourselves?
if you are, then I assume the car will remain in your Museum

The reason for asking, i guess, is that I would hate for you to finish it then for it to dissapear into a car collection somewhere, because (when it is finished) the owner won't show it off to the world
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Facebook Classifieds Feedback
sunnybug84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its none of my business how they pay that stuff...

but anyways, if its done, the car will be stuck in a collection, but in one of the best and interesting collection in vws world! and everybody has the chance to visit it! at least every 4 years at HO !! Applause
kdfkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: VW 38 Reply with quote

Hello Doc,
the 38 is owned and restaured by my dad and he is funding this car himself.
When the car is ready it will of course remain in our museum - but we will take it to some shows ( Camberg,... )
So today the metalwork was finished and then our friend and painter picked the car up. Tomorrow they will start to work on the 38 and we hope the car will be ready painted at the end of Januar 2011.
Christian

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ninamashr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 38 Reply with quote

kdfkid wrote:
we hope the car will be ready painted at the end of January 2011.
Christian

My birthday is on the 31st of January! Does that mean that I can have the 38 as a gift? Pray
Peter_Plade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is so cool!

http://vw-bluehats.blogspot.com/
MargaritaVillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 38 Reply with quote

kdfkid wrote:
We hope the car will be ready painted at the end of Januar 2011.

Now granted I have all the patience of a nine year old with their allowance, but damn thats gonna be a long, long wait to see this beauty in paint.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jorge R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if Christian could also share developments in the paint job. Very Happy

What are we all going to do in these two months. Sad
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was worried about what i'm going to do when it's done? Sad then i thought oh yea the vw30!!!! and the #19 swimmer!! Very Happy
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will we have pictures and a tutorial from the paint shop? PLEEEEEEEEEASE Very Happy
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
Police qualified vehicle examiner
Police Class 1 High performance, pursuit trained Advanced driver
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Neto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 38 Reply with quote

kdfkid wrote:

When the car is ready it will of course remain in our museum - but we will take it to some shows ( Camberg,... )

will you be driving it to the shows? or trailering it?

WWW.DERBLITZKRIEGKAFERS.COM
51deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 38 Reply with quote

Neto wrote:
kdfkid wrote:

will you be driving it to the shows? or trailering it?

I would def drive it but I would say it will be trailered
Chick Iverson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...drive, she said....
overrestored
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 38 Reply with quote

kdfkid wrote:

]

I like how it is just floating in this photo... "levitating" like an Indian Guru.

It seems appropriate for this car to levitate like an ancient religious master.

It doesn't need to be driven or trailered to shows... it will just show up... magically...... like a vision... of a saint who simply appears out of nowhere.

well... maybe it will be driven... or not... who cares... but it will be a religious experience to see the born again beetle!

Now we must all bow down and be thankful to the VW gods for all they have blessed us with!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 146, 147, 148 ... 226, 227, 228  Next
Jump to:
Page 147 of 228

Jump to: