Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

adjusting headlights
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: adjusting headlights Reply with quote

hi all,

I repaired/replaced some of the headlight adjusters and now the headlight beams are not correct anymore. I plan to put the vanagon in front of a wall and adjust them myself...
but I don't know:

- how far the front of the van from the wall?
- what is the height from the ground to the beams?
- what is the distance between 2 beams?
- are the highbeams (square one) need to be higher than the rectangle ones?

Could anybody please help...

many thanks,

(89' vanagon with rectangle/square headlights)
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: adjusting headlights Reply with quote

"- how far the front of the van from the wall?"

10 m (32.8') to the headlamp face. Make sure the ground is level.

"- what is the height from the ground to the beams?"

1/3 the height of the center of the headlight housing, assuming that the center of the housing is more then 135 cm above the road. Otherwise, 30 cm.

"- what is the distance between 2 beams?"

Distance between the beam centers should be the same as on the vehicle. Beams should be equally far away from the center of the van.

"- are the highbeams (square one) need to be higher than the rectangle ones?"

Yes, aim them horizontally and symmetrically to the center of the headlamp housings and the vehicle.

If this all sounds a little regimented it's because it is, it's from the Bosch Automotive Handbook, a small reference I suggest we all purchase immediately after buying a Bentley Manual.

Hope this helps,

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: adjusting headlights Reply with quote

I start by adjusting mine while pointed towards a wall and then fine tune them by driving back roads and getting them right to where I want them. If you typically carry heavy loads at night, you should maybe load the van up before doing the adjustment.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the standard aim for a starting point, then fine tuning for your preferences. I like to aim the right headlamp slightly farther toward the shoulder than stock and low beams slightly lower because I use high output bulbs in my vehicles (HIR bulbs - great product).

Bosch Book - X2. Great read if you're a true car nut / vehicle nerd. I like the section in mine on crosswind stability where it looks like one of the examples of a challenging design is a Vanagon.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

headlight adjustment?
I can't tell if mine are on Embarassed

this is the correct way to aim
go to tech\aim
http://danielsternlighting.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel stern is where i get my HIRs. Great knowledge guy.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderful...

thanks a lot,

Applause
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: