Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Real !... I guess it works..
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madtat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abgwin wrote:
VeeDubDoug wrote:
Madtat wrote:
VeeDubDoug wrote:
Erik G wrote:

Is it because people in Texas are incapable of using their mirrors, or really, just incapeable of paying attention to anyone but themselves? generalizations, yes, but sadly the norm.

I just moved here to Dallas and couldnt agree more, poeple cant drive for shit here. I think it has something to do with the speed limits. Where I come from in California everyone drives 60+ everywere, its the norm and it sharpens our skill. Here the limits are much slower. I think it makes their reaction time is much slower. Or it just gives them more time to not pay any attention. Im scared for my dub once I ship her here. You hurt my girl, I HURT YOU! Evil or Very Mad

We do it to keep the foreigners (Pronounced Furr'in-errrs) out...when you moving out? Twisted Evil

Foreiner? Im not from Juarez...

Texas still thinks it's another country. They love to tell you that it's the "only state that was once a separate nation", failing to remember Hawaii's history.

If I were you, I'd leave DFW immediately and get yourself to Austin, the only worthwhile town in the state.

Texas- The size says it all. Aloha! Twisted Evil
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madtat wrote:
abgwin wrote:
VeeDubDoug wrote:
Madtat wrote:
VeeDubDoug wrote:
Erik G wrote:

Is it because people in Texas are incapable of using their mirrors, or really, just incapeable of paying attention to anyone but themselves? generalizations, yes, but sadly the norm.

I just moved here to Dallas and couldnt agree more, poeple cant drive for crap here. I think it has something to do with the speed limits. Where I come from in California everyone drives 60+ everywere, its the norm and it sharpens our skill. Here the limits are much slower. I think it makes their reaction time is much slower. Or it just gives them more time to not pay any attention. Im scared for my dub once I ship her here. You hurt my girl, I HURT YOU! Evil or Very Mad

We do it to keep the foreigners (Pronounced Furr'in-errrs) out...when you moving out? Twisted Evil

Texas still thinks it's another country. They love to tell you that it's the "only state that was once a separate nation", failing to remember Hawaii's history.

If I were you, I'd leave DFW immediately and get yourself to Austin, the only worthwhile town in the state.

And if Texans don't stop bragging about how big they are, we'll cut Alaska in half and make Texas the 3rd largest state.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thornton
EMPI Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this one is funny

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

pretty sure riding a bike with no front wheel will cause you to fly over your bars, not just the streetcar tracks Laughing
Madtat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
Madtat wrote:
abgwin wrote:
VeeDubDoug wrote:
Madtat wrote:
VeeDubDoug wrote:
Erik G wrote:

I just moved here to Dallas and couldnt agree more, poeple cant drive for crap here. I think it has something to do with the speed limits. Where I come from in California everyone drives 60+ everywere, its the norm and it sharpens our skill. Here the limits are much slower. I think it makes their reaction time is much slower. Or it just gives them more time to not pay any attention. Im scared for my dub once I ship her here. You hurt my girl, I HURT YOU! Evil or Very Mad

And if Texans don't stop bragging about how big they are, we'll cut Alaska in half and make Texas the 3rd largest state.

Is'nt Sarah Palin doing that already? Twisted Evil
kevtherev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notched
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Notched wrote:
Speaking as a real designer, most of the road signs are specimens of hideous typography. I'm not sure who makes them in our state, or others that I've visited, but they are great examples of poor typesetting. Some of the worst kerning I've ever seen.

What typeface were they using? One of the classic FHWA Highway Gothic typefaces or that hideous (to me at least) new one called Clearview?

The fonts I mentioned that I use are the Highway Gothic ones - and when was making them I set mine up for computer screen kerning, didn't even try to program the road sign kernings in. I just wanted something that would work for text.
-Andy

I think it's the typical Highway Gothic. I don't like Clearview either.

Pretty interesting article on the subject:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/12/magazine/12fonts-t.html

Current stock: '57 Panel Bus, '63 Rat Notch, '64 Baja, '66 Variant, '67 Convertible Ghia, '68 Squareback, '69 Squareback, '69 Fastback

Southern Oregon VW Club -- http://www.sovw.org

Oregon VW Forum -- http://www.oregonvw.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd seen that one before. I'm pretty knowledgable about Clearview. Every new sign that WYDOT puts up with it is another one I hate! The features applied to Clearview can and have been applied to variants of Highway Gothic. Too bad that WYDOT didn't choose one of those instead of CV. Brick wall

Clearview works - that's about it. It looks like crap, but it works. Doesn't mean I have to like it though! If you really want to read a long drawn out discussion on CV try this: http://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=1411.0

Most people won't notice but I'm one of the few people who know the difference between the term "font" and "typeface" and use them accordingly. Wink

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I just drove from Roanoke VA to NoVa on I-81 North and it was excruciating.

I drive 81 around roanoke and surrounding areas daily.... with the grades it can make the ride interesting due to speed differentials with the big rigs.... add the folks that get scared around the trucks and it can surely test your patience...

GEX has. Just sayin
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugninva wrote:
I drive 81 around roanoke and surrounding areas daily.... with the grades it can make the ride interesting due to speed differentials with the big rigs.... ...

Reminds me of something I heard some Trucker saying on the CB-radio years ago. "Dragonfly" or "Drag and Fly" - Drrraaaggg up one side of the hill, then flyyyyy down the other! Since many aircooled VWs have a similar power-to-weight ratio as some of the big rigs, that term is just as applicable to VWs as to heavy-haulers!

-Andy
Vanhag
Samba Mortician

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coad wrote:
I remember back in the 60's there were signs saying "Left Lane for Passing Only" all over the place on the Interstates. I haven't seen one in years.

It's called cataracts old man. 'Look' into surgery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kelly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stealth67vw wrote:
It's usually some asshole with Washington plates going 55-60 mph in a 65 zone, oblivious to the rest of the world. Laughing I've seen it hundreds of times.

We have an abundance of oblivious left lane assholes..drivers, up here. My commute (50miles/day) on I-5 has me laughing anymore. I used to get pissed at all the effed drivers around here, but realized that it's been in every state I've lived and will always be that way.
WA state has 'threatened' to enforce the "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS" law but I doubt it will ever be enforced to the fullest.

Eriba Puck Sticky
Culito

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.leftlanedrivers.org/
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bomberbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thornton wrote:
I think this one is funny

pretty sure riding a bike with no front wheel will cause you to fly over your bars, not just the streetcar tracks Laughing

look at the handle bars, the wheel is turned.
junior55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned NOT to put my front tire into a slot on the first day of
training wheel removal !

We had that bad little "ditch" on either side of the walks back then !

You know... way back in the days when people gave a shit about how their sidewalk looked... and actually
edged in their slabs with a shovel.

The purpose of that gully was, for sure, to instantly dump your ass off
your bike if you got too close to the perfect lawn !

No other explanation was available at the time... but good practice
for when we graduated into going over sewer grids.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: