Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Outer rocker panel replacement on a covertible
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
uffdakev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Outer rocker panel replacement on a covertible Reply with quote

I am attempting to replace about 2' of my right side outer rocker panel. I don't need to replace the convertible reinforcement or the heater channel.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have seen the diagrams of the internal make up of the rocker/heater channel. It appears that the convertible support has a flange that faces inward.

I can not figure out how to remove the outer rocker from the convertible stiffening bar.

I hope the above picture shows that there are no spot welds on the horizontal portion of the rocker panel. The stiffener runs down the center of the sill.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gregmporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remove the skin from the factory welds. The repops are a single piece, and the originals are in two pieces... I would suggest leaving the top of the rocker skin (the sill piece) and cut the sill off of your repop to fit like the original 2 piece rocker. It will be a LOT less work and it will leave the integrity of the vert stiffener. Also, you won't have to worry about messing up the door opening's geometry.

I wish I had done mine that way. It would have saved tons of time.

1974 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet
1964 356C Coupe (in progress)
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a photo to help understand what Greg is saying....

In this photo, it has a new rocker panel covering the old rocker panel at the door sill.
Notice that the original rocker panel is still under the new one at the door sill.
Notice the lap seam where the door sill portion and the exterior rocker channel portion were seamed?

Recreate that instead of tearing off the top of the old rocker channel, cut, flange and weld.

You can also see how the top of the vert reinforcement is welded to the door sill portion of the rocker panel.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uffdakev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Outer rocker panel replacement on a covertible Reply with quote

Thanks Greg I have followed most of your progress, the videos gave me the courage to continue after I stripped the paint and bondo off of the car. Way more work than I expected.

Dave I had seen your picture, but didn't think it was from a convertible. The reinforcement looked too thin. Now it makes sense to me.

I agree that I need to leave the majority of the sill intact. I already cut the spot welds on the inner side of the sill but what the heck, it will be good practice plug welding.

Thanks to both for clearing this up.
gregmporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NP man. When in doubt, leave as much OG metal as possible. I saw in your pics that you had started to peel up the sill... Shouldn't be too hard to hammer that back flat!

Good luck.

1974 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet
1964 356C Coupe (in progress)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: