Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propane conversion article for aircooled bus, interesting
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just reading some of the articles and it said the gas need to be preheated to convert from gas to liquid when using a carb. Would LPG be a good fuel for use with a turbo? Higher octane means you can run more boost and you could run the LPG line close to the exhaust for preheat.

The only thing that concerns me is the fact that CHT would be hotter with LPG so in a bus added heat would suck. Maybe a water injection would also be good for a dual fuel application.

Has anyone done the home method and used dual carbs (dells or webers)?
Humanure
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped by where my buddy works and he let me take a few pics of the VW-powered zamboni that runs on propane. I would love to get a picture of the flywheel with the different ring gear.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ellectronico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humanure wrote:
I stopped by where my buddy works and he let me take a few pics of the VW-powered zamboni that runs on propane. I would love to get a picture of the flywheel with the different ring gear.

Thanks for the pics! someone else mentioned the zamboni's before but i have never seen one. I an very interested to see how the propaine is delivered. I see the converter and the fuel lines but there seems to something else on top of the carb?

"you need to lower it", "it would look better lowered", "Slam that bitch!", "That would be a slutty bitch if it was lowered", "That bitch would be a bitchin bitch of a bitch bitch bus if it was on its nuts, bitch"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Humanure
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a bit hurried when taking those pics as it was spur-of-the-moment. Next time I'll try to get some closer pics of the propane components.
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That starter is verticle??? Zamboni must make all that stuff specific to their product.
66ratrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Propane cars sound neat...... but this seems like a way better/awesome propane option Cool

I may have to put one of those in my bus to "discourage" tailgaters

"ACWVs are like having a sick dog that has a 100 year life span and needs constant medical attention... that you ride to work daily."
-Brian

\Dancing Red Bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ellectronico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quartermilecamel wrote:
That starter is verticle??? Zamboni must make all that stuff specific to their product.

yeah i saw that to. thats some good engineering. they didnt use a vw tranny so they had to reposition it. Love it!

"you need to lower it", "it would look better lowered", "Slam that bitch!", "That would be a slutty bitch if it was lowered", "That bitch would be a bitchin bitch of a bitch bitch bus if it was on its nuts, bitch"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ellectronico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is the propane converter on that Zamboni utilizing the heat riser to warm the propane? Cool

quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

66ratrod wrote:
Propane cars sound neat...... but this seems like a way better/awesome propane option Cool

I think the hot girl would cancel out the flames. You'll then have side gaters gazing at the hot girl in passenger seat. Laughing
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humanure wrote:

That's pretty cool, seen a few industrials but not actually mounted up in use, the industrial flywheel has odd teeth for the starter, I don't think it's a Zamboni only deal, VW might have even made the bellhousing but I can't confirm that. That's not a clutch, just a rubber cushioned coupling in the middle.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Humanure
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellectronico wrote:
So is the propane converter on that Zamboni utilizing the heat riser to warm the propane? Cool

I have no idea. I don't know the specifics on how it all works. Next time I see my buddy, I'll see if he knows.

busdaddy wrote:
That's pretty cool, seen a few industrials but not actually mounted up in use, the industrial flywheel has odd teeth for the starter, I don't think it's a Zamboni only deal, VW might have even made the bellhousing but I can't confirm that. That's not a clutch, just a rubber cushioned coupling in the middle.

Thanks for the pic. Very interesting.
Ellectronico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quartermilecamel wrote:
66ratrod wrote:

I think the hot girl would cancel out the flames. You'll then have side gaters gazing at the hot girl in passenger seat. Laughing

Get some side pipes and some electronic cut outs. Burn from side

PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: w Reply with quote

interesting old article. curious the fact that the heat the vaporizer with exhaust fumes.
i recently converted a T2 bay. this is the muffler with the commercial evaporator, that routes the LPG in the exhaust and heats before entering in the regulator
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ellectronico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: w Reply with quote

PEPPE wrote:
interesting old article. curious the fact that the heat the vaporizer with exhaust fumes.
i recently converted a T2 bay. this is the muffler with the commercial evaporator, that routes the LPG in the exhaust and heats before entering in the regulator

'
Hey thats a cool. Does it work well?

PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: e Reply with quote

it is not the best system (better using an oil warmed vaporizer) but i have one also on a 1303 since 1996 and gave no problems.
sometimes heats too much LPG and sometimes warming is not enough causing icing and necessity to go with gasoline (happenen to me one time going to mountains with snow).
vaporizer are designed to work with watercooled cars, where water is termostatically controlled and conditions are more stable.

here in italy there are many LPG and CNG converted vws. it is some years that this exhaust method is not well seen by inspectors of vehicle department (this fuel conversion have to be approved and registred on title) and many people is moving toward water heat exchangers and oil conversions.
problem is that not many vaporizers are safe to use with oil due to resistance of seals in time and structural problems using oil pressure that is more than the one that is built for (water).

italy is the leader of this fuel conversion, but i believe that there will be no progress for our cars, because the modernity is the injection system that is use with euro 4 and later cars.
carburettors in italy have been phased out since 1992.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
delx23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Bravo Peppe Reply with quote

Always excellent and with many interesting details.
Grazie Peppe
Fabio
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: