Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacement CV joint boots... Source?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Replacement CV joint boots... Source? Reply with quote

I have to replace two of the boots on my 70 bus. My local VW mechanic and parts source tells me that he has been having trouble with the boots that are currently available to him. They are of very poor quality and tend to fall apart in a few months. He has had to replace many of them over the last couple of years that were nearly new. I don't recall the brand right now, but I will see him today and I will ask.

The question is, what are you using and where did you source them? Is there a urethane boot available? Is anyone out there having the same issue and what can be done about it?

Thanks, Corey
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a search for Rockford in baywindow bus, you'll get plenty of CV threads with all the comparisons Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried searching the bay threads, I really did, but the endless responses were headache inducing, and none that I found had an answer to the question. I will try your recommendation. Thanks.
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urethane isn't very flexible. I'd be surprised if there were CV boots made from it.

The last boot I bought came from a car parts chain store. I walked in fully expecting the standard response in the negative but asked anyway. They looked it up and said "Yes" and that it was just one of the universal kits. He was right. It was the exact right boot and backing plate. No messing with dodgy repops or whatever. It was a proper part, and only something like $12 too. I had to double check when he said that. usually even the smallest things are $50 to the multiple hundreds. People in the U.S. have it good Sad
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gone to using urethane boots on my swingaxle VW's. They are the cheapo's made by EMPI, but they are the only thing I have found that lasts more than a year.

I have been doing lots of reading on the subject of bay CV's and boots. I spoke with the local VW guy moments ago and he said he had not heard of Rockford, but he will be getting in touch with them, or Scott at German Supply. He said he is really tired of replacing crappy, almost new boots for customers.

Thanks for the advice on the links.
nodrenim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have replaced two boots on my 72 bus and one of them looks like it may last 50 miles. Starting to crack and fall apart and the has ZERO miles, as I have been having another issue with my bus that has prevented me from driving it! A few years ago, I had trouble with the cv boots on my t3 sqb, went to a knowledgeable parts man and he was able to get me genuine vw boots. Man what a difference in quality! Also got him to get me some for an 82 Vanagon I used to have. I guess I need to try and find him again as I understand that he has moved to a different VW dealer. I do not know if the boots are still available or not. When and if I learn something, I'll post it.
ned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dennis call small car connection in Hesperia. If they have them they will only sell yhe good ones. They hate returns and complaints as much as we hate doing shit twice. 760 244 9811. Tell Eric Todd sent you. Cheers
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ned- All the responsible shops and suppliers don't want returns and bad feedback. They all try to find the parts that work and make their customers happy. The place in Hesperia is probably no different. I need to replace my failed brake light switches that I bought at SMC. And I've also paid more for a used part there than the part can be bought new. Not knocking the place and when in the area that's where I go and am glad they are there. They do the good job like many other places do.

Many of us have gone round and round on this boot situation and have been seriously considering and trying the various brands. And we have discussed and reported our findings on different brands. The 100 percent wonderful brand still seems ellusive. There are evidently even difficulties with the Rockfords. And brands that had been good in the past doesn't mean that they are good today. Suppliers like Bus Depot only deal with busses and try to keep on top of the quality issues and still don't really know if the last batch of the good ones will hold up like prior ones did.
A Samba search takes reading, and this is a big topic without a quick guaranteed answer. It already has been covered in detail. The last brand that I discussed here hopefully is good. But won't know until after they get proven. The brand that they replaced was considered good but didn't last. Local shops have had all kinds of sucess and failure reports. Until a bunch of users, shops and parts houses zero in a particular recommended brand then it's still a crap shoot.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fr the tip, Ned. I will likely buy the boots from my local guy when he can get something decent. I am in no hurry to do this right now, since it's nasty winter time weather outside. I will not be driving the bus this time of year around here.

I have come to realize, after some more specific searching and reading, how often this topic comes up and has been discussed. As has been said, the Rockford boots seem to be the best right now, though they are not the magic bullet. Other brands are hit and miss on quality, and that has to do with the supply chain, I suppose.

The search continues, for all of us. I have not spent much time in the bay forums, or I may have realized sooner what an issue this has become.
ned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What most people don`t know is that the supply chain starts at a company called US autobarn. Small car and Autobarn are one in the same. Small car includes the junkyard. Good luck
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: