Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Timing woes
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Timing woes Reply with quote

This is the situation:

- just installed new AJ simms 40mm Kadrons on my ghia (stock 1600dp) tapped for vacuum
- got a brand new bosch 034 out of mexico from a dude on ebay (great deal at $70)

It ran like crap. I went out, bought a timing light and ended up setting the timing to 45 degrees ATDC...does this sound reasonable? It's supposed to be 32-34 with the 034....

yes, I disconnected the vac hose when timing.
yes, I adjusted the valves before all this.
yes, my Scat linkage is balanced pretty well.

Simms says his 034 gets sent out to change the advance curve...

It runs ok with it advanced as much as it is, but it still hesitates some when I step on it.

WTF? Help!

Thanks,

Jos

Previous romances:
1972 Ghia cabriolet (full body-off restoration -- stolen after five years of ownership)
2004 Passat 1.8T (manual)

http://21stcenturyhobo.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Doppelganger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean before TDC? To the right or to the left of your TDC when the car is running? Did you check for proper draw on the vacuum port? Is the advance plate in the distributor itself freely moving (not binding anywhere)? Can you move the advance plate by blowing/sucking on the vacuum hose to the dizzy(not a joke)?
caromin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased the SVDA from ACN and according to the info John sent, the new rubber diaphram in the 034 vacuum canister will be stiff at first but should become more flexable in a 2 to 3 weeks of regular driving. That doesn't account for the timing but possibly the slight hesitation.
Sandrail
Explorer rail build!

'Rollin Dirt Video!
Boo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatorjos,
I installed the 034 for my Kads and I'm having simular problems to yours. My total advance is at 32-34 degrees and it pops & back-fires through the exhaust. It's subtle but it's there. Let me know if you come up with anything.
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the 45 degrees was a bit too much. Now I'm down to 36 BTDC. It's a brand new 034, but I sucked on it too make sure if the plate moves, and it does. It's running a lot better, but I'm still having to keep the Revs up between shifts to not have hesitation. I like the breaking in the diaphragm theory. I'll drive it the way it is for a while, and keep you guys updated if it the low rpm stumble goes away....

Thanks for the replies.

Jos

Previous romances:
1972 Ghia cabriolet (full body-off restoration -- stolen after five years of ownership)
2004 Passat 1.8T (manual)

http://21stcenturyhobo.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: