Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How Many Still Have the A&E TransAwn 2000 Awning?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: How Many Still Have the A&E TransAwn 2000 Awning? Reply with quote

Moderator notes so you don't have to sift through the topic to find them:
Trans-Awn 2000 Owner's Manual, including mounting instructions: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/trans-awn2000/Trans-Awn2000.pdf

Parts list:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1112680.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1112679.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1112678.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1112677.jpg

Parts source: Eezi-Awn 2000 distributors such as http://www.equipt1.com/companies/eezi-awn/ .

Van Adapter Kit (gutter mounts): Dometic part #930035. http://www.adventurerv.net/adapter-kit-van-mounting-p-20187.html

I know that the Fiamma Awning is currently the prefered awning to put on a Vanagon, but I still have the 10' A&E TransAwn 2000 that I bought for the our Westy Weekender back in 1986 when we purchased the Van.

For years we saw lots of Westy's with the 8' model of the A&E awning, and I was wondering how many others out there are still using them.

I just moved mine today from my Vanagon to my 4-Wheel Pop-up Camper for my upcoming trip to Baja, something I have been doing almost every year since I retired in 2002.

The spring broke in my awning when the wind caught it once back in 1998, and one of the rafters is slightly bent, but the vinyl has held up well and the awning has had a lot of use. Because the spring is broken, I just wind it up and unroll it by hand and it works just fine. I always use a couple of heavy duty shopping bags which I fill with rocks to hold it down in the wind and it has survived all of these years.

We have a Fiamma Awning on our Casita Trailer and, personally, I like the old awning better. There is no crank to deal with, the rafters are ridged and will not fold up in the wind like on the Fiamma, and what I like most is that it is easy to use because the tolerances allow for it to be rolled up slightly crooked and still go in the case. The Fiamma on the other hand is a little over-designed and if it rolls in a little crooked the awning will not lock properly in it's case.

Rich
peasant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have the trans awn 2000. I wish I could find some info on it. Or be able to source some hardware.

When I attach it the way it seems to attach it seems rickety and unsafe, and also bends the rain gutter. Maybe this is the way it is suppose to attach.

The 2 brackets seem to be ever so slightly different in the way they attach too.
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have my TransAwn 2000 on the '89 Westy and a spare one in the garage. One "rafter" is slightly bent as well as one clip that holds the case shut. Other than that, it has held up well considering its nearly 20 years old. It handles very well in the high winds of Mulley Point too! The adjustability is a big plus with these.

Cheers!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i still have the 8ft trans awn , this year i had the van painted and the body guy commented on how messed up the rain gutter was, cracked in spots and bent even with the three supports on there, many of these are down to two supports, i love the awning though. parts are non existent the Catalina was the next model i believe, Camping world use to have parts for it, not anymore , the vinyl is still like new, ive treated it a couple times over the years, usually use tie downs on her , have to zip tie her shut, exterior locking mechs are busted ...was wondering about mounting it with the GW brackets...best thing its period correct for our vans...the trans awns have springs? ive had mine since 91 and have always had to roll it up by hand? am i missing something again? Rolling Eyes
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for double posting...i almost sold mine this summer, im on the fence now and am looking for one for parts as a back up, whats the price ranges on these bad boys Question i found a used one in my area for two hundred clams ? do the newer awning styled like the trans awn with case support any better, do less damage to the rain gutter?
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still using the 8 foot TransAwn that came off my mom's '91 when she totalled it...

Its by far the best Westy awning of all the ones I've been around - its light, its really easy to set & strike and its very adjustable.

Its been riding around on Dixie for ~5 years and there's no sign of degradation of the gutters. There are just the two clamps - I have rubber under the short support legs and the whole thing is very rigid on the van.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an A&E awning but I think it is the Catalina -- it is only about 8 years old. Certainly durable, easy to use and has left no marks or such on the gutter or van. Cannot the mounting hardware on this later version be used on the earlier A7E awnings?

Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My awning attachments are not attatched to the rain gutters at all, but are attatched to the roof underneath the poptop and also there are two supports from underneath, one attached behind the rear window and one attatched to the piller between the doors. That setup has been bombproof.

I should look around and try to find a used awning to use for parts.

When the wind caught it back in 1998, it also broke the plastic on the end of the awning roller and the rod inside of it that the spring attaches to. I fabricated a new rod and reattached the spring, and it worked for a while but the spring eventually broke again. I guess I could fix it again if I felt the spring was necessary. The plastic part has a hose clamp around it that has been on there for 12 years now.
peasant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any close up pics of the attachment points where it attaches to the van?
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the pix above mine was supported same spot with one more in middle or rear & front of rear window & post between sliding door & front door , the rain gutter or roof below the pop top damage was not so visible with the awning in place, but once removed the area was stressed cracked and bent downward ...i think it ended up that way from the supports being bent unevenly over time
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBA 88West LA wrote:
...the area was stressed cracked and bent downward ...i think it ended up that way from the supports being bent unevenly over time

When I installed mine I had to shim some of the brackets to get all the supports in the same vertical plane -- had I not done this there would have been stress on one or two of the brackets which over time probably would have taken a toll on the gutter.
Downtown Brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanagonjetta wrote:
Hi, I have the trans awn 2000. I wish I could find some info on it. Or be able to source some hardware.

When I attach it the way it seems to attach it seems rickety and unsafe, and also bends the rain gutter. Maybe this is the way it is suppose to attach.

The 2 brackets seem to be ever so slightly different in the way they attach too.
search in the Samba for the factory trans awn 2000 factory information , IF I remember right it's in picture form. I've been using these 2 gutter mounts ( cost more than the awning) but usually just use the bottom attachments on the side of the van -not the ground.
kayakwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do and the clips are busted so I use webbing cam straps that a silver and match it...

amazing how well built they were...still here and being used

B.5.5 Passat Wagen with 30v V6-67000 Miles

DAS AUTO

CHANGE YOUR FUEL LINES!

A post without pictures is useless

http://www.kayakwesty.com

http://www.waldensridgewhitewater.com/
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhinoculips wrote:
I still have my TransAwn 2000 on the '89 Westy and a spare one in the garage. One "rafter" is slightly bent as well as one clip that holds the case shut. Other than that, it has held up well considering its nearly 20 years old. It handles very well in the high winds of Mulley Point too! The adjustability is a big plus with these.

Cheers!

Ahh, thanks for the pic, an apt reminder to make my way down to those goosenecks. What do you do when you are down there?

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classicvibe wrote:
Rhinoculips wrote:

Cheers!

Ahh, thanks for the pic, an apt reminder to make my way down to those goosenecks. What do you do when you are down there?

Mostly hike, bike, stargaze and read.........as of late, its my favorite spot.

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My van has the 8' version and uses 3 support/attachment brackets. It's been on the van since new when the first owner bought it; I've got a "receipt" from the Trans-Awn dealer dated 1989. Surprised

And, I ran into another '90 in Utah (from Idaho) that has a Trans-Awn 2000 as well:

Go to http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas/USA/RV-Products/awnings/ to find a dealer near you that may be able to get parts for those who need them.

One thing Dometic doesn't have : instructions for installing the wrap-around enclosure for the TA2000 (mine came with the vinyl, screens, floor and "rain fly"). I emailed them and they sent instructions for the later models, which are clearly different. I'm sure I can figure out how it all goes together, but if someone happens to have instructions for the TA2000 enclosure, I'd be grateful for a copy! Very Happy
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG i LOVE the samba, thank you all , ive been looking for parts for this for ever , and one post bingo! complete van mounting kits are available for these still not under trans awn under the catalina model, ref link above provided by kamzcab86...thanks man, you made my day today, you can order directly thru them Rolling Eyes i tried ordering thru them before and they wouldnt take a direct order it had to be thru a dealer, the flood gates are open Exclamation
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
My van has the 8' version and uses 3 support/attachment brackets. It's been on the van since new when the first owner bought it; I've got a "receipt" from the Trans-Awn dealer dated 1989. Surprised

And, I ran into another '90 in Utah (from Idaho) that has a Trans-Awn 2000 as well:

Go to http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas/USA/RV-Products/awnings/ to find a dealer near you that may be able to get parts for those who need them.

One thing Dometic doesn't have : instructions for installing the wrap-around enclosure for the TA2000 (mine came with the vinyl, screens, floor and "rain fly"). I emailed them and they sent instructions for the later models, which are clearly different. I'm sure I can figure out how it all goes together, but if someone happens to have instructions for the TA2000 enclosure, I'd be grateful for a copy! Very Happy

My van has the same mounting brackets as the white one in the second photo.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:
kamzcab86 wrote:

My van has the same mounting brackets as the white one in the second photo.

Mine too - I sleeved the lower portion in bicycle inner tube to ward off scratching...
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crowinghen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campingworld can get Dometic parts-- not sure if it's cheaper than buying directly.
I just got a quote from them for some parts for a catalina 2500 awning that i got off Craigslist-- awning 40 bucks-- parts-- looks like a couple hundred for the one leg that's messed up-( 70 bucks for shipping??!!)- oh well, i still am ok with it.

susie
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: