Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

am i the only wuss?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whether you are a wuss or not does not matter. what matters is syncros were designed to do specific things, handle certain off road conditions better then 2wd could ever do. You are embarrassing your syncro by not giving her a good work every now and again. While I do not "beat the hell" out of my syncro, I do work it hard, probably as hard if not harder then any syncro owner on this site. I know how to drive off road and the syncro is perfectly capable of my needs. I live in Western MT where you do need 4wd some of the time, contrary to what a lot of people think. In fact, I have to drive it to work this morning instead of my 58 bug cuz we got a lot of snow last night and they never get to plowing my side of town for a while. There is no real reason in my opinion to own this kind of a car if you do not need it because yes, they are expensive to own, but damn it, they are fun as hell! now get out there and use it or lose it man!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncronicity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Come on over to Utah Yo! You might feel like you can get to cool things on the pavement here, but that is just the shell of what's really awesome here. Syncro=made for Southern Utah Off-Road.

Utah is a great place to ease into 4WDing. You can learn a lot about these vans and what they are capable of, without destroying them. Remember the first cut, scratch or dent is the deepest. I will however, do everything I can to keep my decaying piece of organic matter on at least 2 wheels at all time. Call me a wuss Laughing
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: am i the only wuss? Reply with quote

< Timwhy wrote : I don't know? Are you! I think just because you have a 4X4 doesn't mean you have
to beat the crap out of it. You don't even have to take it off road to use the 4X4.
Who knows when you'll have to navigate some really hairy parking lot like my
wife does with her 4X4. I say be glad that the allwheel drive is there when and
if you need it, and keep that paint looking good. >

yeah these things are freakin expensive when it breaks. once i was on the freeway and the traffic was really bad. i needed to get off the exit, but there was a divider so i just went over the divider with my syncro. i had some stares from people.

Last edited by whynotvw on Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
euromog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not a wuss. I beat the hell out of my Syncro more than any one. It was bought and built for my fun. I purposely don't have a Westy or DOKA because they are worth way too much for what I want to do worry free. You use your Syncro for what you bought it for. That is all that matters.
cvbill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots Aleric! Brings back fond memories. I used to tease Craig S. incessantly over the years about his reluctance to scrape the paint on his green Doka. As you can see, he's loosened up a lot, and a good guy to take all my crap. Check out his bumper protector!
I scratched my newly repainted (again) syncro after dumping it on its side at Hollister down in Big Sur camping. Just got back from Death Valley Sunday camping for a week. Lotsa offroading to out of the way places- but never did use the front locker. No damage (930 axles!)
Anyway, you need to come to SdeM. There is no pressure to do stuff you are not comfortable doing, and if you want to learn, THIS IS THE PLACE.
That's how I started, and all I got was a dented van! (to show Craig)
Don't be afraid of your rig, I have a picture of Joey M's maroon Doka stuck up to its axles in the sand in Oregon, THE same Doka GoWesty sold later for $70,000+
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont hesitate to go to SDM, you can ride with Bill and leave your Van at camp Smile

I just sold my Subie Syncro Westy, and have been driving my 2wd Westy, since I no longer live in snow country

I never broke an Axle at SDM, though lots of people have, even people right in front of me going up past the quarry.. After that, I stopped trying to go up past the quarry..

there are many places you can take your Van at Hollister, that does not involve breaking axles..

here is my last Syncro on some non axle breaking terrain at Hollister
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its also easy to drive to the obstacle courses to watch other fools Smile
HeftySmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a pretty funny thread. I can understand not wanting to scratch my paint. The first decent scratch I got was a bummer but after I got over the fact it was only paint and how much fun I just had, I got over it.
With all the rain we have had here in Seattel lately I was checking out the swellking rivers and saw a Land Rover coming through a flooded road.
it was very hard not to join him. However, common sense told me it wasnt necessary. Now if I had my little cover plate on the bottom of my motor (that covers up the fly wheel) I totally would have.
Sounds like Utah is a nice and open terrain so scatches are not such a concern like narrow brush covered trails Wink
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wherever your comfort zone is... go with it. There are people here who garage their Vanagons for the Winter and keep them out of harm's way in the Summer... would that be considered wussy? I also know a guy with a nice Syncro with serious brush scratches all over it... it's his getaway vehicle and he tests its limits pretty routinely. Everyone's got their reasons for owning their Vanagon and what they're willing to subject it too. Mine is my daily driver, as has been every VW I've ever owned. I tossed the sand bags in the back this morning and took off in the fresh snow for work... I'll wash the salt out of the nooks & crannies next time it's above freezing and repair the rust when it rears it's ugly blisters.

Paul
trihartsfield
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on now you need to loose your virginity-easy and slow. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two pages and no post from daizee, what kind of thread is this Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, if you saw what I do with VanWilder, you would have no issues with yours in a 4x4 scenario..

Your Syncro can handle. Laughing
VanWilder has given back to me more then I could ever put into it September 22, 2010
Malama Ka `Aina—"Respect the Land"
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Mamby Pamby Reply with quote

Classicvibe wrote:
jackbombay wrote:
r39o wrote:
What your are saying is, you don't need a Syncro, just like the rest of us.

I'd bet that a max of %5 of syncro vanagons are actually worked hard off road, and when they are, its the extremely rare occasion that they are actually "going somewhere" as opposed to just testing the capabilities of their van for fun.

I think you can more or less divide off-roading into two categories- (1) people trying to get to cool remote places because they like to travel/camp/see nature, a 2wd vehicle will serve this purpose quite well all in all. #2 people pushing the technical limits of an off-road vehicle for fun/competition but aren't actually "going anywhere", for this you really need 4wd, unless you are in a specific 2wd class/competition.

Come on over to Utah Yo! You might feel like you can get to cool things on the pavement here, but that is just the shell of what's really awesome here. Syncro=made for Southern Utah Off-Road.

Pavement? I drive off the pavement plenty Cool

I was just vacationing in Utah, Moab and Gooseberry mesa, I've spent a fair bit of time down there, awesome country for sure, and I've never needed 4wd and have always camped in places that are plenty awesome, kind of hard to not camp somewhere awesome down there.

Yea, with 4wd you can go to places that a 2wd can't, but it is the belief of my people that the inability to get my van to a specific location does not mean that location is inherently "better" than a location I can drive my van to.

If you really want to explore Moab you need to get out of your van anyway, my Mountain bike has taken me to many an epic vista in southern utah, places that a van could never get to, but thats fine, hikers can go where my bike can't, and rock climbers can go where hikers can't.

I don't like extreme offroading personally so I saved a LOT of money by getting a 2wd van, works just fine even in our super gnarly ultra long winters.

The few times I have been extreme offroading I felt like I was just getting thrashed around in a car seat, not my cup of tea. It is intriguing though, the part of me that loves to see what specific pieces of machinery are capable of is interested, but whenever I've been a part of it I end up wishing I was either hiking or bike riding.

Somehow there is a stigma about admitting you don't like off roading, whynotvw posting this thread illustrates what I'm talking about, but I'll admit it all day long, I ain't scared Laughing

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I am, been following quietly, nothing to say other than I am a wuss BUT I don't own a Syncro so staying out of it! Thanks for thinking of me tho Razz Shocked Eh?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mofus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speak of the devil, and the devil appears... Twisted Evil
spaeth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alaric, you know that is TriStar Eric in his Jagdwagen doing that ravine. My DoKa is the same color. I followed him down that, but it was in the Rover. I would not have done that in my DoKa. Eric has tons of offroad experience and it shows in his driving. I on the other hand am still getting used to this whole off road game. Doing it in a $1,200 Rover is much less stressful.

That was a cool bit of trail though.

Craig
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mofus, I am definitely not the Devil, I didn't bring me up. You think I'm just supposed to sit back and take all that sooo many dish out.? That's not going to happen. I am a wuss BUT I am also strong willed. I don't believe in using the Ignore button but SERIOUSLY did you feel over compelled to make your comment? Get help!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mofus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, lighten up..It was just a joke.

Touchy touchy

Gotta walk on eggshells around this place sometimes.

Seriously, how often is the timing just right that you can throw out a speak of the devil comment?

Peace and love, peace and love.

Back on topic: It's your van. Do what you want.
fairweather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking out the window right now and the snow is blowing sideways and the storm cells are lined up all the way to Hawaii (or so I'm told).

Pretty damn happy I have a syncro, it's what I bought it for. So far while out riding I have helped 2 two wheel drives get started from a stop sign, that used to be me, never again!

Not really into the rough stuff but do it occasionally with fingers crossed, mainly to eliminate having to walk for miles on a road to get to a trailhead. I hate beating my van too.

For exploration the mtb is my vehicle of choice.

0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can keep your Syncro on paved roads forever if you want... but..

you don't need to get your Syncro in to hard situation to enjoy it. I am sure that there are quite a few easy offroad trails for you to try once in a while... and you will see...

the first time I try I feel a bit edgy but then later... I said WOW... and I want more...

Laughing

Last edited by 0to60in6min on Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
you can keep your Syncro on paved roads forever if you want... but..

you don't need to get your Syncro in to hard situation to enjoy it. I am sure that there are quite a few easy offroad trails for you to try once in while... and you will see...

the first time I try I feel a bit edgy but then later... I said WOW... and I want more...

Laughing

A shameless plug for Syncro Solstice seems apt here...

We will be running all kinds of "off-road" trails in Moab this year for the first Syncro Solstice. We will also have some driving skills classes/course, suited for both 2wd and 4wd. There will be mod classes ("build your own floor lighting" and "fix that pesky mirror" for instance). There will be trails every day, led by seasoned professionals, paddy wagons to fix your junk if you break it, lots of music, tours to geologic formations, dino tracks and the like. Anyway, having grown up here in Utah, and lived in Moab, you can have an incredible time off road, taking no risks in a 2wd...it just takes some skills. I hope to open a lot of eyes to what you can do with your vehicles, both 2wd and 4wd.

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: