Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PORTLAND(PDX)Split Owners Thread, Monthly Split-stravaganza!
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: PORTLAND(PDX)Split Owners Thread, Monthly Split-stravaganza! Reply with quote

Had the same vibe in the Vanagon forum here in Portland Oregon( Shocked )called the Westravaganza and decided to do something similar here rather than cloud up all of the threads in the forum with local stuff. I have met 3-4 local folks mostly informally and would like to meet more of you and get some inspiration and ideas. This is an addictive hobby and I find it very helpful to see things in person to get my next motivation for my next project. We have such a wealth of knowledge in PDX and surrounding areas as well as a short drive up north from here.

Lots of like minded folks in the PDX area have really cool projects going on right now and there is lots of talk of getting together to meet each other. Lets do it. Let me be first.

Totally informal....Meeting with a group of VW folks at the Lucky Labrador Brew Pub at 1830 hrs on November 10th to tip a few pints and conversation.
Lucky Labrador Northwest Quimby

I am a proud new owner of a '57 SCab..... no build thread but an intro thread...
and have a lot to learn. I am amazed at the kindness and generosity of this community and would like to learn and share on a more regular basis.
So, here it is. This is not a club, not a one time event...this is a living and sharing post for people from around the area or people passing through to hook up with others in the same mind. Trail runs, camping adventures, Christmas tree gathering outings, local VW events you may be attending, Pizza nights, anything local to the area, formal or informal, dealing with our hobby/addiction/obsession..... let the rest of us know. Anyone can post up in this forum. If you have a Pizza Joint on Hawthorne and have talked about getting together with other locals....post it up Wink If you want to preview your new project before debuting on this forum the finished project...post it up! If you need help as I did when I first got my SC working on a small project and need a hand as you have been out of the genre for over 15 years...post it up(thanks for your help Saul!).

My hope is that this could be a thread where we can keep our local stuff out of every other thread Laughing

Hoping a few of you can make it on Wednesday night.

Please feel free to add to this thread, hijack it for all things PDX, NW etc....
No need to ask me for permissions, lets just roll with it and have some fun. It does not need to be monthly, it could be weekly or quarterly......daily....We have a great group and lots to offer each other!

Looking forward to meeting many more of you!

Jeffrey

here is the other thread

WARNING. VANAGON CONTENT! Razz
sfspanky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. I'll be the first to jump in.

I'll set up an event at Apizza Scholls soon, although with the holidays approaching, it might not be until early next year.

I think I can make it on Weds., but we'll see if any surprises pop up. What time are you meeting at the Lucky Lab?

Brian

Last edited by sfspanky on Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gmiee5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm Matt ,

I am a Bus owner Very Happy
I am addicted. I tried getting out of the scene multiple times, something always brings me back. This time it was a 21 window bus that found me.

I currently I have
1967 13 window for parts
1967 21 window needing Paint
1963 15 window needs put back together
1970 Buggy Needs love
and a crap load of bug parts

Last edited by Gmiee5 on Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
hugheseum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt.........which one you gonna drive to the meeting?.........just friendly nudging to get one of them done,i wanna see that 21 finished someday!
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sfspanky wrote:
Awesome. I'll be the first to jump in.

I'll set up an event at Apizza Scholls soon, although with the holidays approaching, it might not be until early next year.

I think I can make it on Weds., but we'll see if any surprises pop up. What time are you meeting at the Lucky Lab?Brian
I am planning on being there about 6:30 PM. Your place seems like a great central spot to meet up and I cannot wait. Don't think that you have to give us all free pizza in this economy Cool This group could get rather large Wink
Hey Matt, Brian and Hughseum. Looking forward to meeting you guys. Keep this thread going and on page 1.

Jeffrey
Benfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey boys, i'm down...sounds fun and like a good idea. like the PDX post idea, too. Unfortunately I'll be out for this Wednesday, but will meet up with y'all soon. I also have an 88 Westy so am down with that group too.

Let's keep it going!
Benfalia

-----
1967 21-Window Restoration
1966 Kombi/Benfalia Conversion Boardin' Bus
1958 Double-Door Panel Restoration
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bherder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'll be able to make it. I am getting motivated to get my bus running though. I opened a few boxes of new parts last night that had been sitting from WW and Ronnie. It got the resto juices flowing again.....

Parts manual:
http://oacdp.org/
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W lot BTW @ LL NW
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get the ball rolling and the thread started, I comingled the splitstravaganza with the Westravaganza on such a short notice.
WooHoo, 3 new visitors, one a Vanagonut who lives less than a mile away from my house Harry with a sweet 1990 Westy, the other a split bus nut who lives less than 4 blocks away from my house Matt, a Subarubie Debut(JKidd), and the other proud new Westy owners name I done forgot... and the Debut of Floyd, my shiny new 1957 SCab(don't worry, I still have my Vangina!)

Great time....cold and misty but the 6.8% beer really helped take the chill out of the air. Lots of great conversations about our sweet DAIZEE, the future of Syncro DUH Marzo/Mayo and the drama, NWMF and the happenings that have converted Tristar Eric into the new owner of two....uh, I will let him tell you all Needless to say, the big motivator of our group for all of his Syncro and Mercedes GWagen influences will soon be joining the ranks of another very, very exclusive and totally awesome Euro 4x4 community YOU ARE SUCH A BAD INFLUENCE ERIC AND YOU MUST BE STOPPED Forgot my camera so crappy iPhone pics must suffice. Post up the real pics folks. BTW, that is a uber rare VW DOKA next to my SCab, one of only four Jadgwagens in the USA. Even if you are not down with The Vanagon, the Syncro Jadgwagen is truly a sight. TDI motor, full external roll cage, factory gun drawer, front and rear locker and cooler between the front seats.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good turnout vanagon crew. Split help!

If you missed it, lets do it again on a regular basis and again, take this post over and post up where you are gonna be and lets connect.

I had my manual choke go limp on the trip home(locked at 3/4 throttle) so I had to creatively get the SCab through stoplights by shutting off/on the key Shocked I was only a mile from home which was good....time to break out the Bentley and study up on how to get it reconnected...or, HEY MATT, wanna have a beer together tonight?
<Not so ninja edit: when I was showing off my handcrank apparently the retainer nut for the manual choke got bumped when I took the crank in/out from under the front seat...must have been pretty loose....resecured the nut, problem solved! That is two small steps for mankind as I relearn the mechanics of old Splits>

Last edited by carterzest on Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wolffeather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last summer, The fuel pump on my 67 beetle went out and as i was alongside of the road with a new pump in hand and no tools a Bus Driver (Joseph) pulled up with tools. As I began to replace the pump he told me of this gathering of Busses at the Lucky Lab NW. A few weeks later I in NW Portland and found a dozen or so Busses parked in a lot behind the Lab. At the time I wasn't driving my Bus and didn't have time to stop. There were Splitties, Fatchicks, and Van~o~gins all over the lot. Looked like a good time for sure. Next spring I'll bring my Bus and Bus kart down. That lot would be great to rip in with the Bus kart. Red Bus
'67 Beetle named Blue Bear
Saul Koll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like fun!
I'll be busy with travel, work, and holidays for the next several weeks, but look forward to drinking beer and looking at buses with you all a little later on. My truck should be back on the road then too.

See you around,
Saul

PS, borrow the Bentley as long as you need. I'm glad it is helping you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a meeting of baywindow people at the LL on Hawthorne once a month.
'65 Honda Dream
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmiee5 wrote:
Hi,

I'm Matt ,

I am a Bus owner Very Happy
I am addicted. I tried getting out of the scene multiple times, something always brings me back. This time it was a 21 window bus that found me.

I currently I have
1967 13 window for parts
1967 21 window needing Paint
1963 15 window needs put back together
1970 Buggy Needs love
and a crap load of bug parts
Well, seeing as Matt lives only 3 blocks away from me, I ventured up to his house to check progress on his 67 21 Window. Alls I can say is WOW! Respect! I am venturing to look at a 66 21 Window that has been in hiding right in my neighborhood this afternoon. All original paint and reportedly very rust free....a project that the guy has never had the heart to let go of. Thing that scares me is the updated running gear Shocked Why do people do this Question
Jes67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. carter/zest,, please teh picture quality.
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes67 wrote:
Mr. carter/zest,, please teh picture quality.
Hey Jes. I need to take my real camera out more often. There were 2-3 others in attendance with "REAL' cameras...hopefully they will post some better ones up Cool
Jes67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mr.carter/zest,, I will sleep better tonight.

Looks like a good turn-out.
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A group of us are planning another afternoon outing to the Lucky Lab on NW Quimby on 12-19-2010.

It is really too bad that this thread got moved to the Shows Events Camping Clubs section. I never look in this section. With the success of the Vanagon Westravaganza thread, I thought that this would be equally successful. I hope some still can find it Rolling Eyes
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUMP
A group of us are planning another afternoon outing to the Lucky Lab on NW Quimby on 12-19-2010.

Probably 30-50 Vanagon/Doka/Syncro's, a smattering of splits, and perhaps some others. Come on out at 1400 hoursd

Here is the Vanagon link. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=312314&start=660
The split bus post(this thread) got moved to shows events camping and clubs.

Hoping for a diverse turnout.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: