Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cruisin' speed and other questions
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 6:05 am    Post subject: Cruisin' speed and other questions Reply with quote

My wife posted a thread with plans for a Georgia-to-Monterey trip in our '77 Westy with low compression numbers: 80-80-80-90. Westy78 and captainquattro had suggested the compression test might be faulty (since it was so even). Last week, we had Pippin tuned up at another shop and second test run, and I'm pleased to report numbers of 120 all-around. The engine is really purring like a kitten now. Thanks for your advice!

We took the bus on a 200-mile "beta" camping trip this weekend (failed to set up our add-on tent on the first try--in the dark--but that is another story). I had counted on going 55 mph during the cross-country trip, but found that on the interstate we could do 65 pretty easily. I even did a quick test up to 70, but decided that engine noise sounded like I was pushing it a bit much. But 65 mph seems very smooth. So should I go with my ear and stick to 65, or is that really pushing it for such a long trip?

Also, our latest mechanic (who did a fabulous job on the tune-up, after another mechanic had done a great job on the brakes) really recommended replacing the injectors. This bus had sat for over a year before we got it, and it does have black smoke for about the first 30 seconds after cranking. But we may not have enough money left for this work before the trip. Any thoughts on how crucial this could be?

TIA. Ray.
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 9:15 am    Post subject: Cruisin' speed and other questions Reply with quote

I go 70 mph with no problems at all with my '77 Westy.Keep up faithfully with your oil changes and keep those valves adjusted and you shouldn't have any trouble.

-=Rob
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 9:39 am    Post subject: Cruisin' speed and other questions Reply with quote

Black smoke is too much fuel. It's possible that an injector is sticking, or cold start injector is sticking, causing too much fuel to enter into the cylinder heads. TOo much fuel can wash away the oil ... I would go through the testing first, fuel pressure, Cyl Head Temp Sensor, etc, etc, and see where the problem is. I find that most mechanics just start telling their customers to replace $$ parts without telling you ( or showing you ) WHY .... Careful, there's a lot of F.I. Illiterate machanics out there .....

Measure CO out of the tailpipe and see if it continually runs rich or just at startup. Just at startup could be the cold start valve leaking .....
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Cruisin' speed and other questions Reply with quote

A Westy can do 70-75 and a passenger bus a little more. 120 is fine for compression. 85 means time for a rebuild.

Engine nose: there is a vacuum behind the bus as it drives. Most people don't notice this unless they have an oil leak and it sprays all over the rear hatch. It's the reason the engine hatch seal has to be good.

Anyway, because of this and the way the bus is insulated and the fact that most aftermarket mufflers are noisy and the stock engine isn't balanced it sounds very very load at 75mph. Stick to 65mph. The engine will cool better anyway and you get there almost as quick.

Injectors are pretty durable but they do get dirty and need additives to stay clean. If they have sat for a long time they can varnish on the inside. Unfortunately new ones are least $80 each.

I haven't done this yet but I was advised to simply have them ultrasonically cleaned and everyone I know has been impressed with the results: injectors flow at their full rating and spray as the factory intended. Power and fuel economy are restored. Try it.

http://www.cruzinperformance.com/fuelinj.html

As far as the smoke goes. I think it's one of two things:

- the piston crowns have a lot of carbon deposits and while the bus sat moisture got in and expanded that crud and it's blows out on start up. Run your bus on the highway for a hour a few times as see if it still happens.

- chock it up to the compression. If think you may be getting a little oil blowing by the rings and once the engine heats up and expands it stops. Normal in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Cruisin' speed and other questions Reply with quote

One thing you can do, is that when you pull in to fuel up, check the oil each time. You should be able to hold the dipstick with your bare hand, it might be quite warm, but it shouldn't burn. If it does then you're pushing too hard, and overheating the engine. I drove a 77 westy 300 miles to it's new owner last Sept., cruising at 70, and the dipstick was barely warm when I checked it at the other end. Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Cruisin' speed and other questions Reply with quote

I've developed a feel for heat by touching the fan shroud with the palm of my hand. Depending on the outside temperature and whether you are idling a lot, it varies from cold to warm to hot.

Cold or warm are just fine but If it's ever too hot to touch you've overheated the engine. At this point, do not turn it off. Instead, let it cool down first at a much lower speed like a cool down lap at the racetack otherwise hoatsoak will make it worse.

Since the oil temperature is also a function of air temperature you get the hotest readings where the ambient temperature is greatest. When the is air is bone dry it only compounds the problem as the heat can't wick away via the moisture that is normally in the air.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: