Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Northwest Connecting Rod - seattle,wa
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Northwest Connecting Rod - seattle,wa Reply with quote

i'm looking to buy an rebuilt engine from these people and haven't been able to find a thread just mentions here and there feel free to chime in if you got anything.

Northwest Connecting Rod
1705 S. 93rd St. Unit F-7
Seattle, Washington 98108
Phone: 206.763.2487

Type Of Shop: motor rebuild,install
Will Work On: VW engines of all kinds (machine shop)

Seattle, Washington 98108
Phone: 206.763.2487

Type Of Shop: motor rebuild,install
Will Work On: VW engines of all kinds (machine shop)

Bob writes:
Back in Febuary 2004, my often patched together original engine in my 1979 Westy finally gave up. I called around, did some research, and figured out that if you want a 2.0 liter air-cooled engine built properly and you live on the West Coast, you need to get a rebuilt from NW Con Rod. Spoke with them on the phone. They were friendly and already were the engine provider for my shop, Autovice in Lynnwood. Autovice put the rebuilt 2.0 in, and it's been running great and smooth ever since (it's now 4 years later and the engine has about 13K on it). NW Con Rod guarantees their engines for 12K or 1 year, whichever comes first. After I had it a month, I noticed there was a small amount of oil leaking out of the front of the engine. I brought it in to Autovice, they pulled the engine without complaint and replace the crankshaft oil seal. Since then, no problems.
Shop Rating: Excellent
Recommended
Report Date: 02.04.2008

Anonymous writes:
After doing all their recomended motor extras and having them install, with now 10k on motor, the lifters rattle more that old motor did (couldent fix). still burns quart of oil every 500 mile, (couldent fix) .at about 5000 miles it blew a piston.the list gos on. Not the best people to deal with once you drive out the door. Northwest connecting rod is Not recomended
Shop Rating: Avoid
Not Recommended
Report Date: 10.07.2007

Anonymous writes:
They do most of the rebuilds and machine work for all the dealers and most of the shops all around the Puget Sound area. They are a one stop shop for this type of work and Jerry stands by his work. He knows VWs inside and out.
Shop Rating: Excellent
Recommended
Report Date: 07.07.2006
theizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xoshiex
Samba Member

xoshiex

Give NW Connecting Rod a call.
They are a couple hours north of ya but great shop!

Northwest Connecting Rod Service
1705 S 93rd Street, Ste. F7
Seattle, WA 98108
Ph.: (206) 763-2487

I acquired all the parts and had them build the motor for me and they've been awesome ever since. I believe they also build custom motors to your request. They can go from mild long live to straight out race motors.

Good luck to ya!
theizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from another user

RE: NW Connecting Rod
I've only heard good things about them. I had one of their 1.9L WBX rebuilds put into my '85 and it ran without a hitch for the 6,500 plus miles I put on it before the van was totaled.
theizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and another one

from another user-(i have meet this guy and know him he is also a vw mech.)

---Jerry is the only guy I use. Have done 5 from him, A1 work and warranty.----
theizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll talk about my experience for a moment thus far,

so far i have called them twice both times the owner has picked up and has been very nice and has given me his time to explain how we'll work things out and what will be done with my engine, this is all over the phone.

sooo, so far fast responses, answered all questions and seems willing to work with ya. i'm heading down there in a bit to drop of my deposit!

really look forward to working with this guy and hope for the best experience possible. i will keep this thread updated through out the process. Wink
theizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hechando mechanica wrote:
Northwest Connecting Rod is my vote. Jerry knows what he is talking about, one of a dying breed of excellent engine builders who breathes quality. He is a grade A motor head and has been rebuilding VW engines for decades in Seattle. I bought a long block for my 78 Westy 5 years ago and have not had a single problem; I have 30, 000 miles currently on this engine and it has powered me on many trips both long and not so long. Jerry will also help you break and tune the engine in correctly, something you will not get ordering an engine from somewhere else other than your city. As for the brand new vs rebuilt debate, I would take Jerry's workmanship any day. If you are concerned ask him what kind of parts he uses and what kind of feedback he has received from customers. You're lucky you live in a city that has an engine builder as good as Jerry. I had many little questions regarding optimal engine performance and replacing FI parts and Jerry helped me every step of the way. This is a no brainer decision in my opinion.

theizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

melville wrote:
NWCR is the way to go if you are local. Good stuff, and probably singlehandedly keeping more VWs on the road in Seattle than ANYONE else. Price ain't bad either--20 years ago it was $795 with rebuilt heads IIRC.

Corwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you getting all of these quotes? Just curious, because it almost looks like you're simply advertising for them on here. Feedback threads are generally a place for different buyers to personally leave their experiences and feedback about a particular vendor; not a place for one person to pull a bunch or random quotes out of thin air and go on a posting rampage with them...

Oh, and ALWAYS get new heads. Not sure why you'd settle for rebuilt heads when stock new ones are so cheap...
I'm not saying NWCR does bad work at all, this just seems a little strange. They wouldn't be my choice though.
theizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corwin wrote:
Where are you getting all of these quotes? Just curious, because it almost looks like you're simply advertising for them on here. Feedback threads are generally a place for different buyers to personally leave their experiences and feedback about a particular vendor; not a place for one person to pull a bunch or random quotes out of thin air and go on a posting rampage with them...

Oh, and ALWAYS get new heads. Not sure why you'd settle for rebuilt heads when stock new ones are so cheap...
I'm not saying NWCR does bad work at all, this just seems a little strange. They wouldn't be my choice though.

i'm note pulling quotes from thin air they are people experiences and word of mouth that i have gathered from asking around, the samaba is THE place for referencing this sort of thing and searching all over the internet i was unable to find anything that says anything about the quality of work , this is a big deal when your getting an engine rebuilt and i am simply trying to make things easier for the others behind me, tell me why is it wierd to waste my time and energy to help other people out who are looking for info on this shop? look at my other threads the other builders i was searching where in no order, avp,boston bob's,sirctly forieng,jbugs,vwparts.net,chircho,chico,cip1,aircooled.net, and another page or two of others .....really some people are just too suspicious for thier own good sometimes, how about a bloody thank you for trying to help others out if you look at the thread i included ALL information i have received there's even a bad one in there...meh..whatever think what you want, i'm just one who likes to put everything i find in it's place for future reference......

oh also my quotes are coming from various people from wet westies and do a search for northwest connecting rods and scan through all of the posts ...everything i have pulled is coming from the samba and the wet westies mailer

oh and i'm getting new heads as well thanks for the tip Wink
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how about your experience now that you have the motor?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ARTIFACT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there more feedback for for NW Connecting Rods?

It's local and it would be really convenient to have a quality machine shop / builder around to help me with my build needs.

drscope wrote:
The older car has 10 to 20 years more experiance in figuring out how to piss you off! the newer cars are still learning.
Jim Douglas Jr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!
Jerry was VERY helpful and knows VW engines in and out. I wanted to rebuild my ailing 1200 into a 1385 with the best possible stock-ish configuration and he made sure I got a list of everything needed to make it a great evolution of the 1200 without going overboard. He knew all the special this-and-thats I needed to make the improved 1965 heads fit and work correctly and OK'd all the little mods that had been suggested to me.

While they didn't build the engine (I'm in California), he made sure I got everything I needed to make these one year only heads work correctly and put my mind at ease on all the other issues.

I can tell when I'm being bullshitted and it was completely refreshing to speak with someone who was willing to take the time to share their knowledge with me and was nearly as enthusiastic about my goal as I was.

This was last August (2010).
I gave them a call today (8-8-2011) to let him know how pleased I was with the outcome and that going on a year later, how well everything turned out, and that I still appreciated his help.
They're on our links page (to this topic, as they don't have a website), and I would wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone.

After several phone calls and a few items purchased, I can't imagine them not doing top notch work and standing behind it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha a long time later i'm still pleased with my engine , still pulling good and getting me where i need to go, the proof is in the put-put vrrooommm.
KevinAlbrecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have a recent experience/pricing from NW connecting Rod? Just a casual inquiry as to how much a mid-level motor costs these days locally.

WideFive wrote:
Single carbs are for lawn mowers!

Don't forget those seat-belts!
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Planetech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: 914 engine rebuild Reply with quote

Brought in my Porsche 914 in for an engine rebuild. Their work includes... missing, loose, and bent hardware, (for example, one engine to tranny bolt was held in place by grease, w/no nut, one tranny bolt was finger tight), components installed backwards, and wiring not connected. I had to ask for and install the battery hold down, as well as returning to the shop and gathering parts they neglected to reinstall on the engine. The clutch went out of adjustment almost immediately as no jam nut was put on the cable, the engine has several leaks and will have to be removed to facilitate repair. The list does go on. I've got an appointment for the warranty repairs. We'll see. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Planetech on Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
KevinAlbrecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a shame to hear these things. I too, didnt feel like tearing into another engine like I did in my twenties. I went to a local (to me, in Kirkland) shop down the hill & they quoted absolutely outrageous pricing.

I suppose everyone wants to make money, but I could bring myself to spend that much. I ended up purchasing a longblock from a gent out of Multikteo, and doing it myself in a much longer timeframe.

Nothing like working ten hours and then home for another couple hours assembling the peripherals.

WideFive wrote:
Single carbs are for lawn mowers!

Don't forget those seat-belts!
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had dealings with them as recently as mid 2013, but only thru a shop. NW Connecting Rod is one guy I think. Cant remember his name, but Jerry (or Gerry) sounds right.

I had some machine work (match porting) and new valve guides put in some heads. Top drawer work, but I wasnt in a hurry for it, which I am sure helped my overall satisfaction with the work performed.

The address in this thread is no longer the address of the shop. Last I heard he is down in Kent I think , in shared space, so I dont even know if you could find him, except thru shops. I'm told that since he works alone, he is not the best at returning phone and email calls. I tried to reach him on my own before giving up and asking a local shop to reach out to him for me. The phone number you see on the web is a Seattle prefix that has been disconnected anyway.

I'm guessing that he has all the work he can stand, so if you were someone who wanted to have him to source or modify parts for a build it might take a long time unless you went thru your local guys first.
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Northwest Connecting Rod - seattle,wa Reply with quote

I've done a couple engine with NW Connecting rod, They can help with whatever your needs are from head rebuild, machine work to complete engine assembly. or even sell outright turnkey engine.

I've found best time to call is first thing in the morning 8 am or after 4pm
there current number is 253-872-4945
phlat65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Northwest Connecting Rod - seattle,wa Reply with quote

Anyone have an email address for Jerry? Im now on week 9 of "your engine is next" and my patience has worn out. Large cash deposit left 4+ months ago.
ktai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Northwest Connecting Rod - seattle,wa Reply with quote

Does anybody have current contact info for NW Connecting Rod? I've been having trouble reaching them, it looks like they are no longer in their Kent listed address.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: