Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ultimate Westy Shower?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waldemar Sikorski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://dehler-profi.de/
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too sweet. Cool

tangojeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Another cool shower component Reply with quote

We had to make a tarp-over-the-rear-hatch shower during our 5 day stay in Glacier NP last year (no showers in the campgrounds) Our teenager even used it. For him we had to add more hot water from the kettle to the solar douche bag. What works great is to stand in a small black plastic tray used for mixing mortar. Ours cost <$10 @ HomedeBozo, is 20"X26" and can be strapped over the firewood in the luggage bin atop the front seats for traveling. Clean feet and no mud puddle make things pretty civilized. Don't leave home w/ out it.
motelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife made this out of an old dome tent. Throw the solar shower on top and enjoy a roomy private shower.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
felixthevolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently found $100 in L.L. Bean gift certificates I had glued back together and promptly lost after running them through the washing machine. After failing to find many clothes to my liking in the local Bean outlet store, I noticed a "ZODI" propane shower. It is similar to the hot tap noted above. A metal box with a coil of copper tubing and a fitting for a 1 lb bottle of propane with a piezzo ignition, a showerhead, submersible pump, and a battery pack with an on/off switch. I suspect the $95 in gift certificate I payed is more than it's worth (never mind the $115 original price), but it was all that applied to my "spend money on the bus this month" rule. I haven't tried it yet, but the holes in the showerhead look woefully inadequate- pinpricks really. I accept this in my solar shower, but not in something with a pump. Has anyone had experience with one of these? If I bore out the holes in the showerhead, will there still be decent water pressure? The thing claims to heat 50 gallons on a 1 lb can and comes in a box that doubles as a 4 gallon tank. If it does end up being pathetically weak, do you think it would overwhelm the copper tubing/heater box if I put a bigger pump powered by the aux. battery? I will probably use the van's water tank. BTW- has anyone converted the luggage rack into a cistern and run hoses from the corner drain holes into their water tank- with a filter? Thanks:)
ollie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either enlarging the holes in the nozzle or using a higher-pressure pump will move water thru the heating coils faster. Enlarging the nozzle holes will actually lower pressure, not raise it, but it will increase flow. Heat absorption is proportional to the time the water spends transiting the heated coils so even though you will get more flow, the water won't be as hot. I imagine the little pass-thru unit is calibrated to a certain flow in order to achieve a certain delivery pressure, so those are the parameters you're dealing with. You can certainly experiment but you may come up against the limited heat exchange area and the limits of the burner output. The only way ultimately to get more flow at the same temp is to make the flame hotter or increase the heat exchange area, the latter being far more effective and efficient.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
woggs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Has anyone had experience with one of these?

I have the Zodi shower, it works great the way it is. I just have to remember to turn the pump on before lighting the burner.
felixthevolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys:) Sounds like I'm ok. Sorry I was a bit suspicious of the price difference compared to the Coleman one at wally world. I will try it as soon as I get back up to Maryland (I have a tank of gas but not enough cash to pick up a spare can of propane lol... remember when they were 79 cents or so?). Thinking about it again- even if I put a larger pump on, I would have to run it a lot hotter for the faster moving water to be heated to the same temps. The only way to maintain the efficiency engineered into the unit would be to "increase the area of heat exchange," i.e. dismantle it and add some more copper tubing- way too involved for me!
ollie
-since I just found this outlet store, does anyone who gets the Bean catalog know of anything else they sell camping wise that might be a good westy accessory? I already have a canoe, bikes, and lexan plates, etc. Only stuff I ever ordered from the catalog was dog beds, hammock, coat and sheets, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jäky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: another link Reply with quote

look at this:
www.dehlermobil.de

see you
jäky
felixthevolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/img]http://cache4.spreadshirt.net/users/1061000/1060234/products/1060234_6013628_1_big.jpg[/img]ø

Hmm..what woud be a good slogan to have them print on this?
dragonfire709
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its a shower youre after, how about one of these?

[url]http//www.indigoblueleisure.com/teepee_outhouse.php[/url]

These things are great. You can use them as a shower and they are large enough to have a 'porta potti' in the corner
Kuhlbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldemar Sikorski wrote:

What am I missing? Is there a shower reference there?
Current:
'97 EVC

"In a world full of people, only some want to fly. Isn't that crazy?" Seal
vwsyncroguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Inboard Shower Reply with quote

Here's a link to an on-board hot water installation for a shower. It's another version of the engine coolant/heat exchanger only it heats the water in the on-board water tank. Cool feature is the thermoelectric valve that cuts the coolant flow off when the water in the tank reachs 105 degrees.

http://www.syncro.org/Camper.htm

Look up "Comfort Additions", "Hot Water" and "Shower" og go direct to

http://www.syncro.org/HotWater.shtml

What this page doesn't show is the shower in the back of the van powered by the Flojet pump. I've seen this installation a few years ago and I think there was a quick connect hose fitting installed at the back of the westy cabinet and the shower hose was stowed in the space at the top of the cabinet.

Unfortunately the link to the shower photo page is broken.

Warren C.
Kuhlbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy did some really great mods to his Eurovan Camper. Seems like it could be adapted to the Vanagon...

http://homepage.mac.com/msiminoff/PhotoAlbum40.html
Current:
'97 EVC

"In a world full of people, only some want to fly. Isn't that crazy?" Seal
drglaubnix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
cloudbaseracer wrote:
Waldemar Sikorski wrote:
Not a Westy but Profi. To me the ultimate.

What is a Profi.?

James

Dehler Profi (SP) the pic he posted above of the hightop. very cool setup insulated windows etc.. there was one for sale in the NE for awhile, probably the only one in the US?

Hi,
this pic does not show a Dehler Profi, but a Dehler 2+2.
The 2+2 was a not so expensive version, it has few differences to the Profi
e.g. the shower door opens to the front (in the Profi the other way round),
it does not have the embedded speakers in the roof,
the seats that fold to a bed are different,
it has no insulated windows,
the kitchen is different etc
95 PS WBX MV
Build number 1156
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very hesitant to use a shower inside an aged Vanagon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Ultimate Westy Shower Setup Reply with quote

Here is my 2 cents for the best hot shower setup. This is my 2nd one and I am trying a couple new things this time.

4 gallon tank under rear seat. First time I used a 6 gallon tank and it took up more space than necessary. 4 gallons is a good compromise.
6 feet of heater hose coiled inside the water tank and connected to your rear heater lines.
Solenoid valve to shut off the coolant flow and thermostat to keep water from getting too hot. First time I just used a manual shutoff and had to keep and eye on the water temp. I powered the solenoid from the rear heater wiring so I can use the rear heater switch on the dash (I took out the rear heater- you could leave it in and just run new wiring, but this was so convenient)

Shurflo 1 gpm pump, pump switch, simple shower head.

This setup doesn't take up much space, there is no setup time. It is inexpensive and fairly easy to make. Flip the rear heater switch on your dash and it heats up the water on your way to camp. It stays warm for a while so you can shower after your get settled into camp. This is the like the setup someone did heating up the 13 gallon onboard water tank, but this is way simpler and has some other advantages. Pics to follow.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Ultimate hot shower setup pics Reply with quote

Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple and elegant. Love it! Very Happy

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just a length of black PVC pipe, mounted on the side of the pop-top, water fill at the front end, and shower nozzle and valve on the back end? It's black, so it heats up. You want water pressure? Pop the top. 5 gallons is enough for 3 showers? So then the PVC pipe needs only to be 3-4 inches diameter. Simple, easy, cheap.
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: